Simply great! You´ll give them a drab coat? Because they look a bit shiny....

HAJO

Thanks. Yes, I had to seal them pretty good with future so the darker pattern would stand out more and to cover the salt residue left behind so the decals would adhere. They will get a nice coat of flat when they are done.

Great work on the figures mate! Who makes them and where did you get them from? I'm struggling to find modern US figures.

Thanks. I used Trumpeter's US Army in Iraq figure set X2 as a starting point and used Live Resin modern US heads and helmets plus weapons and accessories. All ammo pouches and misc. pouches are from the Trumpeter set. Close, but a little outdated. But I'm pleased with results thus far.

The figures look pretty good. They have a few issues though.

Firstly, the Trumpeter Iraq '05 figures are in the older DCUs and not ACUs. ACUs have upper sleeve pockets with squares of sage green velcro where the patches are. ACUs also have lower calf pockets.

military-soldier-1.jpg

Army_Combat_Uniform.jpg

Also, there should be a reverse flag on the right sleeve above the combat patch.

Lastly, on the 101st Airborne patch, the Airborne tab should also be included. They are not worn without them. The Aitborne tab and the patch always go together.

051127-F-2828D-187.jpg

The figures look pretty good. They have a few issues though.

Firstly, the Trumpeter Iraq '05 figures are in the older DCUs and not ACUs. ACUs have upper sleeve pockets with squares of sage green velcro where the patches are. ACUs also have lower calf pockets.

Also, there should be a reverse flag on the right sleeve above the combat patch.

Lastly, on the 101st Airborne patch, the Airborne tab should also be included. They are not worn without them. The Aitborne tab and the patch always go together.

Thanks Gino. Yep, I'm aware of the ACU difference but this is as close as I could get. :bandhead2: The body armor is also outdated. I did not put on the rockers yet because the decals truly sucked so I had to apply them in stages. The rockers will go on after these have set over night. I also have rank tabs to apply and I need to somehow find spades for the helmets. They also all have reversed IR American flags on right shoulder. My son's unit would not allow them to wear their combat patch so they wore two 101st patches or there would be a 10th Mountain patch on his figure. I wish they could be more accurate, but, it is what it is with my limited skills. The weapons from Live Resin are pretty good and will make up for the other distractions.

IMG_20120525_215252.jpg

Edited by Boomstick

How did you paint the camo? I got the impression you used a method with applying salt??

HAJO

Yes, salt. Apply the base coat. Lightly spray with plain water. Sprinkle plain table salt over a random area then let dry. Apply the next shade of color and repeat until you have the three colors.

IMG_20120524_142723.jpg

IMG_20120524_142716.jpg

IMG_20120524_142702-1.jpg

Ok boys, PUSH!!!

IMG_20120524_175925.jpg

LOL!

Reminds me of the time I did a troop lift with a dozen Force Recon Marines. Dropped them off my CH-46 on a Camp Lejeune beach and we shut down awaiting their return from their mock search and destroy mission. When they came back, we told them the chopper wouldn't start and needed them to get behind it and push it down the beach so we could bump start it. They actually fell for it! They got us rolling about 1-2 mph and the pilot tapped the brakes at the same time the co-pilot hit the APU Start switch. The APU lit off and the Recon boys applauded themselves for the job well done... while the four of us aircrew laughed our heads off over the intercom. I still get a big grin every time I think of that! :D

Phrogger, that story has made the rounds. I've heard the same story when I was in the army, just change from force recon to infantry, and change the bird from CH-46 to UH-60.

How do you push a 20,000+ lbs helo across the sand?

LOL I was thinking the same thing. Proof positive that a properly motivated Marine can accomplish anything!

Those Force Recon guys are strong like bull.

Considering that atleast back in the day they (Recon, 4 each) would run miles pushing a jeep around, 12 and helo is not that big of a stretch.

Maybe a helo on asphalt but as much as these guys are hard-core, I can't see them pushing a CH-46 down a sandy beach. After a few feet, the thing would be sunk up to it's wheel axles in sand.

Regardless, that would make for a pretty cool diorama though :)

Phrogger, that story has made the rounds. I've heard the same story when I was in the army, just change from force recon to infantry, and change the bird from CH-46 to UH-60.

The CH-46D/F's were only ~12-15K lbs (empty - according to the various log books I signed off), depending on if they had all their armor or not and how much weight they gained from in-service repair. Add 2400 lbs if the tanks are FULL, which they weren't and you're still well under 20K. It is possible to push one on the harder tidal beach sand, I was there.

I can imagine it is easier to push a 46 than a 60, even if the weight is the same, because there's more surfaces you can push against. We did have cause to manually move them some when stacking the hanger or hanger deck for storms - when we had to squeeze them in as tight as possible, so I have participated in pushing them, too - just not for a BS reason - on the beach.