MiG 17 and 21 Questions

Hello. First off I hope I don't get Jennings' hiding behind the couch emoticon but here it goes!

Wanting to build a few NVAF contemporary subjects to go along with my USAF F-4C/D's and my F-105 Wild Weasels in both 1/72 & 1/48 scales. According to what I have found it looks like I'm going to have to wait for Eduard to release a MiG-21 PF for a suitable combatant for the early war Phantoms, correct? I have the correct Hobby Boss Fresco-C picked out so I am good there.

What about early war -21'a and MiG-17F's in 1/72? I have heard good things about the RoG 72nd MiG-21 F13 but cannot find solid info as to whether the NVAF used these early in the conflict. Also, any good* early Frescos out there in 1/72?

*my definition of 'good' is a shape that is good enough for most modelers, decent amount of detail, buildability and useable kit decals, pretty much in that order.

Thanks for any input on these subjects! I've been reading some books on the Vietnam air war and it has whetted my appetite to build some of the early war adversaries!

I'm not sure if NVAF used MiG-21F-13, but if they were, RoG is the only (good) choice. MiG-21PF (early) was certainly used and shot down some Phantoms (and other USAF/USN). The choice for this one is Fujimi in 1/72, Academy in 1/48 (perhaps Eduard, if they already released one ?).

As for the MiG-17F, there are several. The newest is AZ Models, but you can consider Dragon as well.

HTH

Edited by Alex Sidharta

I'm not sure if NVAF used MiG-21F-13, but if they were, RoG is the only (good) choice.

The Bilek doesn't look bad AFAIK but it's a shortrun kit.

The choice for this one is Fujimi in 1/72

Shortrun kits again but Bilek or Innex kits look more like MiG-21s.

Bilek did F-13,PF. If you look at moulds they don`t look like shortrun. In fact PF comes with North Vietnamese decals.

Zvezda did PFM with a title on a box: "Phantom Killer" and of course NVAF decals. Very decent kit. The only fault are wing flaps. They look like PF model but should be late model, "blown flaps" that is.

Innex PF & PFM are quite good but you have to face "orange peel" surface and lack of some details (compared to Bilek and Zvezda).

Fujimi looking crisp but only looking. For me it`s "fail".

For all these three there are PART`s photo-etched details and Czech made resins.

Very decent kit. The only fault are wing flaps

And the whole nose that looks a bit skinny... and above all the nose cone (sticking out too much, angle perhaps too big).

Edited by Laurent