MiG 17 and 21 Questions

Hello. First off I hope I don't get Jennings' hiding behind the couch emoticon but here it goes!

Wanting to build a few NVAF contemporary subjects to go along with my USAF F-4C/D's and my F-105 Wild Weasels in both 1/72 & 1/48 scales. According to what I have found it looks like I'm going to have to wait for Eduard to release a MiG-21 PF for a suitable combatant for the early war Phantoms, correct? I have the correct Hobby Boss Fresco-C picked out so I am good there.

What about early war -21'a and MiG-17F's in 1/72? I have heard good things about the RoG 72nd MiG-21 F13 but cannot find solid info as to whether the NVAF used these early in the conflict. Also, any good* early Frescos out there in 1/72?

*my definition of 'good' is a shape that is good enough for most modelers, decent amount of detail, buildability and useable kit decals, pretty much in that order.

Thanks for any input on these subjects! I've been reading some books on the Vietnam air war and it has whetted my appetite to build some of the early war adversaries!

As for "best" MiG-17/17F kit in 1/72 scale would be the DML/Dragon MiG-17 and Jian J-5 kits, but they are long out of production (I understand that the MiG-17 kit was reboxed by Bilek, but labeled as a MiG-17F...I haven't seen this kit).

The only current MiG-17 kits availiable are the Hasegawa and AZ Model kits. I understand that the Hasegawa kit has issues and is too big for 1/72 scale. The AZ Models kit is new, but runs off of short run molding. It has some nice engraved panel lines, but it's construction is along the same as MPM or Special Hobby kits.

Sadly, we're still waiting for a decent 1/72 MiG-17 kit of any description. The DML kits are horrible. It's easier to convert the old Commie 1970s KP kit into a MiG-17F than to build anything out of the DML kit that looks like a MiG-17.

That is a bit harsh - I don't think there are any major accuracy issues in DML MiG-17 (or commies at KP for that matter). Can you be more specific? I admit the details are not very good, and at least the Bilek reboxing suffers from pretty serious sink marks.

Could a Fresco aficionado do a 1/72 MiG-17 kits comparaison similar to Snowbird3a's great MiG-15 kits comparaison topic ? I don't know what's supposed to be wrong with the DML/Bilek kit, I have doubts about the KP accuracy (wings and empennage shape) and I don't know if the AZ is an improvement.

Edited by Laurent

Sadly, we're still waiting for a decent 1/72 MiG-17 kit of any description. The DML kits are horrible. It's easier to convert the old Commie 1970s KP kit into a MiG-17F than to build anything out of the DML kit that looks like a MiG-17.

Are you sure about that? I think you may have the MiG-17/Ji-5 mixed up with the MiG-15, which is definitely a mess.

I did a bunch of googling on different Frescos last year before I went with the Dragon kit. To me, it looked better out of the box than the AZ kit. Those two are your best bet for a decent Mig-17 in 1/72 in my opinion...

I have doubts about the KP accuracy (wings and empennage shape) and I don't know if the AZ is an improvement.

Look what has to be done to reshape KP wings to propper shape (WARNING still under construction):

LiM-5_1717_006.jpg

LiM-5_1717_015.jpg

And lots of work stil to do:)

AZ model is quite nice, there are some minor faults but generally it is a big step forward compared to any Fresco model (Hasegawa, Bilek/Dragon, KP, Plastyk/Mastercraft).

I have doubts about the KP accuracy (wings and empennage shape) and I don't know if the AZ is an improvement.

Look what has to be done to reshape KP wings to propper shape (WARNING still under construction):

LiM-5_1717_006.jpg

LiM-5_1717_015.jpg

And lots of work stil to do:)

AZ model is quite nice, there are some minor faults but generally it is a big step forward compared to any Fresco model (Hasegawa, Bilek/Dragon, KP, Plastyk/Mastercraft).