MD-80 kit from Aircraft In Miniature Ltd.

We will be reissuing this kit shortly and we would welcome suggestions for decals for the kit.

The kit will be a base kit with precut vacformed airframe parts, metal landing gear, resin intakes and jet pipes and silkscreen printed window decals. Livery decals will be laser printed.

So if anyone has any thoughts on liveries please let us know!!

Neil Gaunt

We will be reissuing this kit shortly and we would welcome suggestions for decals for the kit.

The kit will be a base kit with precut vacformed airframe parts, metal landing gear, resin intakes and jet pipes and silkscreen printed window decals. Livery decals will be laser printed.

So if anyone has any thoughts on liveries please let us know!!

Neil Gaunt

Neil,

Fantastic to hear!

You have to do the green smiley face of Jetsgo(Canada)! I have a couple thusand hours in those birds. Back in the old days!lol :woot.gif: We'll at least Id be very happy if you did.

There were/are many prolific MD80 operators for sure. SAS, American, TWA, Ozark etc etc.

MD83.jpg

832164.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Toronto

Neil,

Fantastic to hear!

You have to do the green smiley face of Jetsgo(Canada)! I have a couple thusand hours in those birds. Back in the old days!lol :woot.gif: We'll at least Id be very happy if you did.

There were/are many prolific MD80 operators for sure. SAS, American, TWA, Ozark etc etc.

MD83.jpg

832164.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Toronto

The only thing is that if we do jetsgo we need to produce a screwdriver tail cone - I will probably do a resin tail cone then yes, it is easy to do this one.

Neil

Thanks Andy and David.

As I said, to do any of these schemes means doing a screwdriver tail cone - I think that we will issue the basic kit 'as is', then produce a resin tail cone as an after market part. This way Hannants will not need to carry two versions.

I think that TWA and SAS would be reasonable choices for the initial model with the others following when I have time.

I remember flying on the SAS one when I went to SAAB at Linkoping (we were buying a SAAB 340 at the time - 1984).

Neil

I would go for a Alitalia.

Alitalia aircraft had the screwdriver tailcone, so are not suitable for the initial issue. We intend to produce a resin replacement tailcone, then we can do Alitalia.

Neil

TWA

Twin Stripes scheme. Colourful and easy to draw. They operated both the bullet and screwdriver tails.

It was my first jet that I checked out on, so it was very special to me... hence my screen name here.

Edit: Bad splling

Edited by skidbuggy

Alitalia aircraft had the screwdriver tailcone, so are not suitable for the initial issue. We intend to produce a resin replacement tailcone, then we can do Alitalia.

Neil

This one seems to have a 'normal' cone.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alitalia/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-82/1426267/L/&sid=3e7de6a0c5be15b469785f207a08dce5

Hi, tnuag.

Why don't sell the kit without decal and let the customer order you those separately?

Many modelers would buy the "anonymous version", probably saving some money.

Ok, if it was Alitalia, I'll be one of your first customers, but in other cases I had to make the livery by myself and don't use the decal sheet I already paid for.

Just my thought.

Regards

Euge

Hi, tnuag.

Why don't sell the kit without decal and let the customer order you those separately?

Many modelers would buy the "anonymous version", probably saving some money.

Ok, if it was Alitalia, I'll be one of your first customers, but in other cases I had to make the livery by myself and don't use the decal sheet I already paid for.

Just my thought.

Regards

Euge

If you look at the Hannants web site for Transport Wings you will find a 767-200 BASE KIT. This is a 767 with window decals but without livery decals. The MD-80 should be similar.

Thanks for the thought.

Neil

Alitalia and Swissair, being among the initial operators, all had the round-pointed tailcone at first on every plane in the fleet. From what I can tell, just about every MD-81 built did eventually get the screwdriver tailcone retrofitted. (not many MD-81's exist now, many were converted to -82's, including getting the later tailcone

In short---don't go by recent pics! I think AA's entire fleet has the later tailcone now too, despite their first 200 or so being delivered with the other one.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Hi Guys,

Just a thought or suggestion going forward for this new kit. :woot.gif:

Maybe to make the kit more universally appealing to modellers, the screw driver tail should be included with the kit. That way many schemes can be built.

IMHO

Cheers :cheers:

Andy

Toronto

To clarify a few things:

1 - The screwdriver tail will be released later as an aftermarket item for these reasons:

A - If we include it in the kit the production of the component will determine when the kit is released. I have discussed it with Hannants and the aftermarket route is preferred.

B - It has to be paid for and anyone wanting to build the original conical tail cone version would have to pay for an unwanted part. We try to keep the cost of the kits as low as possible hence this method.

2 - American Airlines are very protective of their markings and a license fee would only drive the price of the kit up.

3 - We will think about the 1time livery when doing decal options for the screwdriver tail version.

The way we produced the 767-200 was to produce a base kit, which had silkscreen printed decals for windows and doors, but laser printed livery decals. This lets Hanannts stock many livery options without having to hold huge stocks of the basic kit. When we reissued the first three Transport Wings kits (A310, DC-8 and DC-10) we included resin engines, new metal sets, etched scribing templates and detail parts and very comprehensive decals. This made them very expensive kits and the current economic climate reflected their sales.

Consequently we reverted to the original format of the kits over the last twenty years and achieved lower retail prices - sales have justified that strategy!

I am currently working on decal options for our range of ground equipment, where the modeller can download a file and print his of her own decals - this keeps the price down, and for those who do not have the ability to print their own decals, they will be able to buy them from Hannants. We are considering offering decals as free downloads for aircraft too - comments anyone? The only thing is time - I have to fit this type of activity in when I have some spare time (not often!).

Neil

Edited by tnuag

Neil,

Fantastic to hear!

MD83.jpg

832164.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Toronto

Exciting news! My vote would be for an Allegiant Mad Dog, which incidentally, is where some of the Jetsgo airframes are still earning their keep! I believe these were some of the last 80's off the line.

Regards,

Chris

Las Vegas