RCAF P-40E/ Kittyhawk

I'll join with an RCAF Kittyhawk, 111 Squadron based out of Anchorage Alaska during the summer of 1942. I will use a Pro-modeler P-40E as the basis, and plan to build it out of the box, with the exception of PE harnesses. The Pro-modler kit is nicely detailed, and builds into a good looking P-40, all be it with raised details. Decals are an old set of Ministry of Small Aircraft Productions set with 6 P-40E's. Should be a simple build, see if I can actually finish it!

Opening shot...

IMG_0792.jpg

I found it interesting that the RCAF was tasked with providing air cover for Anchorage as well. Need to read up on that bit of history.

Kittyhawk is moving along. The 'pit is together, and I will install it tomorrow, and button the fuselage and wings up. Wife is going into Portland to pick up some RAF Dark Green so I can get some paint on. She will wear dark green/ brown over sky with a light blue stripe.

IMG_0806.jpg

. Wife is going into Portland to pick up some RAF Dark Green so I can get some paint on. She will wear dark green/ brown over sky with a light blue stripe.

Sounds like your wife is one fashionable lady! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, the cockpit looks great. Very interesting subject you have there.

Ray

Sounds like your wife is one fashionable lady! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, the cockpit looks great. Very interesting subject you have there.

Ray

LOL. Took the words right out of my mouth.

My uncle was with the Canadian Infantry and was sent to the Aleutians in 1943 to help kick out the Japanese. They had already bugged out when they got there. I never realized how hotly contested the Aleutians were until he told me of the several vicious battles that happened there in 1942. One of the largest Japanese banzai attacks of the entire Pacific campaign happened in 1942 on Attu Island.

Edited by Big Daddy

Looking more P-40ish. Wings and tail on. I started to highlight panel lines on the bottom, and am working around to the topsides. The spinner that came with the kit was found to be a little blunt, and looks like it was a short shot during molding. I am replacing it with one from an Arii P-40E, which is turning into a P-40N here soon. The spinner fits perfectly, and looks to be correct in shape.

IMG_0814.jpg

Completed painting the sky over pre-shade. Turned out ok. Now moving on to the top, after it drys a bit and I can mask.

IIRC those panels behind the cockpit were not the cockpit colour---they were an exterior colour.

see: http://www.ipmstoronto.com/articles/aircraft/P40/28%20P-40D%20RCAF%20Kittyhawk%201%20CAvM.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Finished painting. I used cheap blue masking tape and paper masks for the camouflage. I should have used silly-putty-easier and same result. Started decaling while masking the canopy, which I hate to do. Decals went on over a coat of Future, and were a little stiff, but settled down with some setting solution.The yellow ring around the fuselage roundel was apparently overpainted with US paint stocks, so I shot an OD circle and decaled over it. P-40's look good in Commonwealth markings.

IMG_0824.jpg

Edited by I-16