This is going to be a quick one I hope, needs to be done by the 20th of Feb. Growing up on Clark Ab in the Philippines, I remember watching the Blue Diamonds perform at one of the airshows. When I saw that Microscale did a decal sheet that included markings for the Blue Diamonds F-5A I just had to do one. This will also be a nice companion for my Starfighters Inc F-104D.

Here's a link to some pics of the various aircraft they used as well as the F-5A that will be the subject of this build.

http://aerobaticteams.net/paf-blue-diamonds-gallery.html

I'll get some pics up shortly, not going to pause for too many due to the short suspense.

I've built a couple of these Hasegawa F-5 kits, they are easy to build but a lot of work to finish. To make part of that task easy, I seperate the stabs from the lower rear fuselage piece. This will really make sanding easier later on, you will see.

02102012571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gaffled the wing tanks from a Hasegawa 1/72 T-38 (actually an F-5B) kit. The primer and wetsanding seems to be an endless battle with these kits (at least for a sausage finger builder).

03102012669.jpg

Some Vallejo Silver to show all the spots I missed priming and wet sanding. Installed a couple of QuickBoost resin air scoops on the rear fuselage to give it a little detail. Decided to cut off the pitot tube and reinstall it later, was definitely getting in the way.

03162012683.jpg

This looks great! I like your idea of using silver as a primer coat to catch any seems that need filling. I usually prime with a more typical white or gray but this looks like a neat way to do the final check.

Lovely looking aircraft also!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Some Vallejo Silver to show all the spots I missed priming and wet sanding. Installed a couple of QuickBoost resin air scoops on the rear fuselage to give it a little detail. Decided to cut off the pitot tube and reinstall it later, was definitely getting in the way.

03162012683.jpg