M1a2 Abrams Tusk 1 Question

To start off I am not a Armor modeler. I mainly build aircraft but decided to try a tank. I purchased the Dragon M1A2 SEP kit. I also ordered the Tusk 1 upgrade set. I have went on Primeportal and am using the material to help on the build. But I have questions that I cannot find answers for.

Questions:

1.Do the USMC operate the A2 with Tusk armor? (what I think I know is the USMC does not operate A2s)

2.what units operate the A2 with Tusk?

3.Are any units in Afgan or Iraq that used the A2 tusk & are decals available for those units?

I will be posting a WIP thread here very soon and will be asking lots of questions of the tank guys. I hope to get feedback from some of the Abrams crews that are here.

Thanks for the assistance.

Cheers & Semper Fi,

Jason

Some answers...

1. No, the USMC doesn't use the M1A2 at all. All their tanks are M1A1s.

2. TUSK can be added to any tank. It is a kit of bolt-on upgrades. Most units that went to Iraq in the later years had TUSK added to their tanks in Kuwait before going north, or in Baghdad once the new kits arrived in country. It is hard to say what unit had what, but 1st CAV or 4th ID are good bets to have it since both had M1A2 SEP tanks.

3. No Army tanks have been sent to A'stan, only one Company (14 tanks) from the USMC. These USMC tanks are M1A1 AIM tanks with partial TUSK I kits. For Iraq, see #2. Echelon has decals for M1A2 SEP tanks in Iraq.

ech354017.jpg

ech35031.jpg

Your best bet is to find a pic of a tank you like and model it. Or just put some decals on it from the kit and call it a day. Most people will have no idea if that actual tank had the TUSK on it or not.

Like these pics:

All from Iraq, unfortunately, I can't make out the bumper numbers for unit info.

M1A2-with-TUSK.jpg

m1a2_tusk_add_on_armor_by_darkproxy-d2xwq4h.jpg

Lastly, for good feedback, it is better to post at an Armor site, such as Armorama.com There are lots of great guys there that have a lot of knowledge on the Abrams and other armor. You won't get much useful info here at ARC on armor subjects.

Edited by HeavyArty