What happened to Future?

Well, after being away from modeling for most of the last year I'm back. Why can't I find Future anymore?

I finally bought some Pledge "with Future" and sprayed my cockpit with it for a wash. It's flat.

What is everyone using now?

"Pledge Premium Floor Treatment with Future Shine" or some such. The name change occurred several years ago. There are now two versions, one for wood and one for vinyl, etc. The one for vinyl is shiny, the one for wood may not be, but this is the first I've heard of it coming out flat. Mine certainly isn't.

Did you thin it with something? What pressure and airbrush did you use? What were the temperature and humidity conditions when sprayed? The latter is especially important, as too high a pressure/too far away/too much thinning/ in a dry, warm environment can result in fine orange peal that resembles a flat finish.

I sprayed it straight from the bottle (it's the vinyl one). It's about 18 C in the house and low humidity. I just had my second coat dry. Looks the same.

I used Future for years without an issue.

That's a little cool for optimum performance, and low humidity is the enemy of all acrylics.

I'll have to look into this, but the last word from SC Johnson was the formulation was the same. They're local, so I'll give them a call in the next few days. Bummer if they changed it, but so far I haven't heard anyone else with a similar problem. It makes no sense that a product for vinyl floors would be flat rather than shiny.

Well, here's my update.

I'm on my fourth layer of Pledge and it's a semi gloss now. I'm starting to think that the paint I'm using is the culprit. Since I moved I can't get my regular paint so I'm using Tamiya flats instead of Mr Color. It could just be that the very flat paint needs more coats to build up the shine.

I'll keep you posted.

Well, here's my update.

I'm on my fourth layer of Pledge and it's a semi gloss now. I'm starting to think that the paint I'm using is the culprit. Since I moved I can't get my regular paint so I'm using Tamiya flats instead of Mr Color. It could just be that the very flat paint needs more coats to build up the shine.

I'll keep you posted.

Aha!

I'm very familiar with Tamiya paints, and I think I know what's happening. Tamiya is very forgiving stuff. It's easy to apply a flat coat of it that's almost "flocked"â€â€but it looks good, is dead flat, and durable. The telltale is that you can polish it simply by rubbing with almost anything, and it will get darker with a slight increase in gloss. Sometimes the effect is slight, sometimes obvious. From what you say about spraying conditions and your location, something of this is occurring. Mr. Color is, indeed, slightly different and won't behave like this (unless you push it). You are probably applying the Future in relatively light coats. Under such conditions, the results you are getting are understandable. For a cockpit, just keep on as you are.

For an exterior (over flat Tamiya) add a tiny amount of retarder or flow-aid to the Future, increase volume/decrease pressure and you will get faster resultsâ€â€assuming I've interpreted the situation correctly! (Note my sigfile. =oD)

Coatingsâ€â€What a concept! ^_^

Yep, I thin the Tamiya with alcohol.

What kind of retarder do I add to the Future/Pledge? I've always sprayed right from the bottle.

Edited by NaOH
What happened to Future?

It became the present. Oops, now it's gone. Now it's the past. See how fast that happens (but only if you buy into the whole linear time thing, which I don't, so it hasn't happened yet, but at the same time it's happening now, and has already happened over and over and over again) :)

Yep, I thin the Tamiya with alcohol.

What kind of retarder do I add to the Future/Pledge? I've always sprayed right from the bottle.

For dry conditions like the ones you are in now. Just add a tiny drop or two of any good acrylic retarder (Golden, Liquitex, etc.) to the thinner and dissolve it thoroughly before adding the mixture to the Future (or any other acrylic paint.) If you don't mix it with the solvent the high concentration can cause problems with the polymer.