Since finishing the 1:32 scale CF-104 the decals on the Alclad II "Airframe Aluminum" have turned black. The attached photo shows the start of the darkening process about a month after completion and since then where ever there is decal carrier on the NMF, it has turned completely BLACK...!

I did not use a clear gloss over the Alclad and now that my Tamiya Mustang is ready for decals I did not want to have the same thing happen.

Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys who use Alclad on a regular basis????

Barney

036.jpg

Hi Barney.

Based on the artwork, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but are any of those my decals? (I know the intake crest wouldn't be). I ask because I've had my decals on Alclad polished aluminum for about 6 months now without this happening. I'd like to know if it was a bad printing or not. If they are my decals I'll replace them for sure and talk to my printer.

revell.jpg

I've used decals from other manufactures on polished aluminum as well without seeing this happen. I wonder if your aluminum coat was too thin? Or it could be the decal set was too strong?

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

Hi, Barney.

What worries me, since I've used Airframe Aluminum in my DC-7C build and it almost decaled.

I'm afraid its not a decal issue. Probably it depends on the water.

In this application I used tap water and, as you can see, there are some strange shading around the letters and in the middle of the "D" on the right upper wing. (you see better if you zoom a little)

I stripped the decal away, washed, repainted and decaled again. This time using distilled water with no problem.

No setting solution at all.

It was the first time for me with Airframe Aluminum, while I used Polished Aluminum on the Chipmunk, I decaled with tap water and no issues.

I can't find a reason for that, but I'll make some test as I'll have the chance.

Regards

Euge

81_decaling_06.jpg

Euge: My Chipmunk is still looking good one year after decalling on the Airframe Aluminum ..with no clear coating. The -104 was not clear coated either but the results are terrible.

I always use straight tap water..more than 30 years of playing with dec als from many sources and this was the only time that I've experienced this.

Barney