M1A1 Green Abrams

Im starting the year with a different build other than jets. I have with me the 1/35 Tamiya M1A1 Abrams with the mineplow boxing plus the eduard photoetch. Im taking the mineplow and saving it for a later Abrams build.

1dc59727.jpg

a9e3d90f.jpg

201ddfc1.jpg

a206263d.jpg

Here I am right now. I gave the model an anti slip coating, slowly and patiently putting the little photoetch parts while checking references. Though I dont have a particular tank in mind yet Im trying to complete it as best as I can.

cc6fba45.jpg

a5adf78c.jpg

1b1976d0.jpg

202a0789.jpg

ea86536a.jpge18941ba.jpg

Till next time.

Eric

Looks like it is coming along well. When will the tank represent? Out of the box is is a late '80s to early '90-'91 Abrams as seen early in Operation Desert Storm (ODS, Aug '90 - Feb '91). During ODS, the square "Bigfoot" T158 tracks replaced the chevron block T156 tracks. The in-box rear hull mounted APU was only used on some tanks in the states during the late '80s as well. Some of the stateside APU tanks did deploy to ODS though. The sloped rear on the Gunner's Primary Site (GPS or doghouse)box is an early feature as well. Most by the late '80s were in overall 3-tone NATO camo or sand too, no longer forest green.

How did you achieve the anti-slip coating?

Spray on texture paint technique is what it looks like to me. More here.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by HeavyArty

Looks like it is coming along well. When will the tank represent? Out of the box is is a late '80s to early '90-'91 Abrams as seen early in Operation Desert Storm (ODS, Aug '90 - Feb '91). During ODS, the square "Bigfoot" T158 tracks replaced the chevron block T156 tracks. The in-box rear hull mounted APU was only used on some tanks in the states during the late '80s as well. Some of the stateside APU tanks did deploy to ODS though. The sloped rear on the Gunner's Primary Site (GPS or doghouse)box is an early feature as well. Most by the late '80s were in overall 3-tone NATO camo or sand too, no longer forest green.

Spray on texture paint technique is what it looks like to me. More here.

Keep up the good work.

HeavyArty thanks much. I did read some of the work you have over at the other forum, that served as some of my references.

I do want to paint this tank overall Forest Green. And yes this tank would represent the early M1A1 Abrams back in the late 80s. I hope it would be ok to have the T-156 tracks, the hull mounted APU and the sloped reared doghouse included and still be accurate enough to represent it stateside.

Thanks,

Eric

As a late '80s stateside tank still in forest green, those features should be fine. Do not add the PE sprocket retainig rings though. They were not used any longer by that time period. Keep up the good work. It sounds like an interesting build.

Thanks for the info Eric and Gino!!!

One question Gino...Eric, I hope it's ok if I kidnap your topic with my question, but it regards the same timeframe as your build... I would like to build an early M1A1, in green, during a REFORGER maneuver. Would that have the same gear/equipment as the ones used stateside?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Alex

Thanks for the info Eric and Gino!!!

One question Gino...Eric, I hope it's ok if I kidnap your topic with my question, but it regards the same timeframe as your build... I would like to build an early M1A1, in green, during a REFORGER maneuver. Would that have the same gear/equipment as the ones used stateside?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Alex

Alex by all means. We are all in the process of learning while building. Thanks again Gino!

• 1 month later...

Nothing much happening. Just cleaned up the wheels, sprockets and some of the things I will be hanging on top of the turret.

799acde7.jpg

Some more shots of the hull and turret before I shoot the primer.

853e4038.jpg

ff7958c6.jpg

1b2d3b6a.jpg

2134a3c8.jpg

aa7cf61d.jpg

That is all. Im slowing down a bit in a hope that I can merge this and join with the up and coming Armor GB.

Eric

Edited by speedlimit
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Incredible work so far, I'm really enjoying this.

You've inspired me to start my Tamiya Abrams, I think I have the similar boxing but without the plow. I want to do a late 80s NATO camo version- any good references out there?

Edited by toadwbg

Toadwbg,

Im glad to be an inspiration for you with regards to building this abrams. References for late 80s to early90s often are hit and miss. My only printed reference to this would be Osprey M1 Abrams Battle Tank 1982-92 and the Tankograd TUSK. The latter concentrates more on the AIM and SEP Abrams with TUSK.

Some of my research on the web are provided thru Prime Portal and forum discussions over @ Armorama.

A few experts over here can help you with some wealth of information like Gino aka heavyarty.

I have stalled my build so I can start again on May 1 to coincide with the Armor GB, hoping the mods would allow me to join.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I have asked permission to include this to the current modern armor group build.

Anyway just to continue my build it was time to prime everything. This is to give the paint more bite and to check any flaws I may have forgotten. I used Mr Surfacer 1200 thinned with Mr Color Thinner.

34956be5.jpg

1fe466a8.jpg

0a26b35b.jpg

52f821b6.jpg

11684d8c.jpg

7ea194a9.jpg

7dde204c.jpg

4ba0d469.jpg

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by speedlimit

Its time for some preshading. I used tamiya Nato Black instead of straight black. I also used Nato Black for the wheels and anything requiring anything almost black.

The rubber tracks:

a1415211.jpg

Road wheels and others:

e70831a5.jpg

The hull:

569ce2e7.jpg

12177f8f.jpg

The turret:

f56dc9a7.jpg

17c7beb3.jpg

Cant't wait to paint it.

Cheers,

Eric

• 1 month later...

This is a vey interesting build and one that's close to my heart. I spent 7 years in the Army as a 45E from '86 to '93. My 1st unit, 3-I-4/66 Armor was one of the first units in FRG to get the M1A1, this was back in Jan of '87. Our tanks where painted in the 3 color NATO camo, as where all A1's in FRG. I have never seen a A1 painted in the forest green camo. At that time all our other units vehicles where painted in that forest green color, well I think our new MEMETTs where painted in the 3 color camo. I would love to see a pic of a A1 in forest green. I did see the M1IP at FT. Knox in forest green. Keep up the good work.