160th SOAR MH-60L Black Hawk

Hey all,

I’ve started this project few months ago and the basic aim was to build as accurate and detailed as possible 160th SOAR MH-60L Black Hawk, like the ones used in 1993 Somalia (Black Hawk Down). I decided to build in 1:72 scale due to storage restrictions, and chose to go with the 1:72 UH-60A (Hasegawa) as the basis for the model. I also think Hasegawa’s H-60’s are very accurate in overall shape to the actual aircraft.

The Hasegawa’s H-60s have minimal interior detail, so I had to build pretty much everything from scratch including entire ceiling, cabin, cockpit details, pilot’s and co-pilot’s seats , controls, instruments, pedals, electrical and wiring etc etc.

I just wanted to post some photos of the progress so far. At this point I’m trying to complete building all the cabin and cockpit details, than finish off with the painting and weathering. All criticism is welcome, so feel free to post your input and comments.

The following photos are of the scratch built cabin walls, ventilation vents and covers etc. Wiring will follow soon, will post photos once built and installed.

13022012050.jpg

PS. Did MH-60L's have that communication unit with the mic or is it only the MH-60G Pave Hawks? I wasn't sure so I built it anyway.

13022012051.jpg

13022012052.jpg

13022012056.jpg

13022012057.jpg

13022012058.jpg

I've used and modified HobbyBoss 1:72 HH-60H Rescue Hawk main landing gear with struts, shocks and sponsons instead of the thin looking Hasegawa's ones.

There are few more details I want to add to the cabin walls...fire extinguishers, minigun mounts etc, but will do so later on in the build.

Plenty more photos of ceiling, cabin and cockpit to follow...

Emilio

Edited by Challenge Accepted

Just noticed your question...

13022012050.jpg

PS. Did MH-60L's have that communication unit with the mic or is it only the MH-60G Pave Hawks? I wasn't sure so I built it anyway.

Do you mean the handle with a coiled wire on the C pillar bulkhead in the center of your picture above? If that is what you are talking about, it is not a mic. It is the controller for the external winch. There should be a control box under the bar handle as well that the coiled wire connects to. All H-60's with an external hoist has this.

Here is a close up of the area.

15.jpg

And one a little farther away.

41.jpg

Just noticed your question...

13022012050.jpg

Do you mean the handle with a coiled wire on the C pillar bulkhead in the center of your picture above? If that is what you are talking about, it is not a mic. It is the controller for the external winch. There should be a control box under the bar handle as well that the coiled wire connects to. All H-60's with an external hoist has this.

Here is a close up of the area.

15.jpg

And one a little farther away.

41.jpg

Thanks for the reply HeavyArty; that's exactly what I was referring to, I originally thought it was some kind of communication unit. Glad to know it's actually an external hoist control box since I was planning on installing external winch anyway.

Thanks,

Emilio

Really nice, the interior looks stunning. How did you add those panels lines on de cabin walls?

Cheers, Daan

Hi Daan,

I did those with 0.25mm thick x 4mm long styrene strips. Using made-up template, carefully glued them in place. This was painstaking and took a while to complete since there were a lot of them.

Hi Daan,

I did those with 0.25mm thick x 4mm long styrene strips. Using made-up template, carefully glued them in place. This was painstaking and took a while to complete since there were a lot of them.

Thanks Emilio, I already assumed this work was a pain in the *** :) It's worth it though.

Keep up the great build, looking forward to more pics.

Daan

Just a couple of new photos of the fuselage halves test fitted together.

15022012152.jpg

15022012149.jpg

More photos of the build progress to follow soon..

Nice! Do you have pics of the cabin roof? I'm building a HH-60G, started with the same Hasegawa UH-60A 1/72. I noticed no roof, so I build one myself.

Cheers, Daan

Beautiful work, I'm looking forward to following your build.

What are you doing for decals? :whistle:

mason

Haha, I was going to cross that bridge once I got to it lol. I haven't thought much about the decals at this point, but I'm hoping to buy/acquire some 160th SOAR for the 1:72 MH-60L's rather than have to make them my self.

From what I've read so far...any chance you can supply me with a set of those?

Emilio

Some more photos of the ceiling..

This was test-fitting forward and aft ceiling area. The remaining thing to do on the forward area is to add the 2 ceiling hooks and (I believe it's some crew communication unit "L" shaped) installed in the middle of the soundproofing between C-Pillars.

15022012139.jpg

PS. The entire forward area will be painted as the soundproofing material color (brown) and weathered, except the crew seat harnesses, which will be gray.

15022012138.jpg

I still have to add some more wiring harnesses, and crew seat harness bar to complete the atf area.

13022012072.jpg

Disassembled forward and aft ceiling areas.

15022012136.jpg

At the moment I'm working on the Fast-Rope system, will post photos once completed and installed.

PS. How does FRIES rope release mechanism work? Is it electronically controlled (are there wires going to the release pin) OR is it manually operated on the MH-60L's?

Thanks

Emilio

The roof is looking good. One note, the square with the trapazoid and holes on the rear roof section is the transmission drip pan. The trapazoid and holes should are actually recesses and should be solid, not open. The round ones are access/inspection covers that are removable. There are also hoses coming off the drip pan to drain away transmission fluid.

The FRIES release is electric. There are wires that go to the solenoids on the ends of the extendable bars.

You can see both the FRIES rig and drip pan in this pic.

34_rear_crew_compartment_roof_4.JPG

Another shot showing the drip pan well.

UH-60A_44.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

The roof is looking good. One note, the square with the trapazoid and holes on the rear roof section is the transmission drip pan. The trapazoid and holes should are actually recesses and should be solid, not open. The round ones are access/inspection covers that are removable. There are also hoses coming off the drip pan to drain away transmission fluid.

The FRIES release is electric. There are wires that go to the solenoids on the ends of the extendable bars.

You can see both the FRIES rig and drip pan in this pic.

34_rear_crew_compartment_roof_4.JPG

Another shot showing the drip pan well.

UH-60A_44.jpg

Thanks for the reply HeavyArty. I'll close off the trapezoidal hole with a thinner styrene to make it look recessed before I glue in the FRIES. As for the round ones, I'll probably leave the 2 aft access point ones open and just close off the forward ones.

Also, where does the oil drain hose go to from the oil drip pan? Does it go through the rear bulkhead or does is go down D-Pillar and out?

Thanks

Also, where does the oil drain hose go to from the oil drip pan? Does it go through the rear bulkhead or does is go down D-Pillar and out?

The forward 2 drain lines go to the C pillar on each side. The rear one goes to the right side of and behind the rear bulkhead.

You can see how I did them on my 1/35 UH-60A MedEvac helo.

IMG_0115.jpg

Wow, very very nice. I don't even consider posting my in-progress pics cause mine HH-60G interior looks like a little *kuch* :whistle: less detailed compared to your MH-60 :bandhead2:

You're doing a great job! I enjoyed watching your build.

Cheers,

Daan

Wow, very very nice. I don't even consider posting my in-progress pics cause mine HH-60G interior looks like a little *kuch* :whistle: less detailed compared to your MH-60 :bandhead2:

You're doing a great job! I enjoyed watching your build.

Cheers,

Daan

Thanks for your input Daan, I appreciate it. I'm sure your HH-60G will turn out just as great, looking forward to seeing it :)

Emilio

I took some more photos of the cockpit and cabin floor last night..

15022012110.jpg

Most of the cockpit area was scratch built. Cockpit floor was built from styrene sheets and shaped to fit perfectly without any gaps. Anti-torque pedals, rear auxiliary controls, chaff/flare controls and wiring were all scratch built and added in.

PS. I've noticed somewhere that all dashboard instrument (behind the dashboard) wiring went through only one central point and into the hood (nose of the helicopter), is this correct?

For the middle console, rear and overhead instruments I'll use Eduard photo etched 1:72 self-adhesive SH-60 parts (they look close enough to MH-60L's) and stick them on once the cockpit is painted and weathered. As for the actual dashboard, I couldn't find any MH-60L ones, so I had to substitute it with the new-tooled HH-60H one from HobbyBoss. I know this isn't the same as those used in MH-60L's but trying to build precise buttons and screens at 72nd scale would be nearly impossible with the lack of proper tools, so I had to settle with the HH-60H one. The weathering will look a lot better with this dashboard too with all the bumps, dips and buttons..

15022012117.jpg

More photos to follow of the detailed pilot's and co-pilot's seats, overhead console etc etc...

Emilio