160th SOAR MH-60L Black Hawk

It looks splendid so far! Can't wait to see it painted!

The display looks a bit high to me though. Don't know if the pilots are able to look over it ;)

Take care,

Daan

Hi Daan, thanks for the reply :)

The instrument panel is about the right height as on the real MH-60, it's top edge is at about 1/3 of the way up on the windscreen. The pilots can see through easily as I also had to shorten their torso by about 1.0-1.5mm (now they're average height of 5'9"-5'10" tall).

26022012170.jpg

Not sure if you can see in this photo, but I tried to aim their eye sight just below the top horizontal windscreen bar. The top edge of instrument panel is well below.

Emilio

Hi Emilio, great proyect you are building, one question the landing gear sim to be in the extended position as when is flying, if you are planing to place you hawk on a tarmac you should cut the strut of the landing gear to simulate the weight of the helo

Jorge

Hi Emilio, great proyect you are building, one question the landing gear sim to be in the extended position as when is flying, if you are planing to place you hawk on a tarmac you should cut the strut of the landing gear to simulate the weight of the helo

Jorge

Hi Jorge, I plan on displaying the helicopter in in-flight position, hence why I modified the landing gear to be in the extended position.

By the way, I like how your MH-60 turned out, especially the riveting detail and the weathering. Awesome job, well done. :)

Emilio

Hi Daan, thanks for the reply :)

The instrument panel is about the right height as on the real MH-60, it's top edge is at about 1/3 of the way up on the windscreen. The pilots can see through easily as I also had to shorten their torso by about 1.0-1.5mm (now they're average height of 5'9"-5'10" tall).

26022012170.jpg

Not sure if you can see in this photo, but I tried to aim their eye sight just below the top horizontal windscreen bar. The top edge of instrument panel is well below.

Emilio

Thanks Emilio,

I have no doubt the pilots are able to accomplish their missions in this beauty :)

Cheers,

Daan

• 5 weeks later...

Any updates?

Take care,

Austin

Hi Austin, the progress has been a bit slow as I'm still waiting for the cold and rainy weather to pass so that I can start painting. In the meantime I'm finishing off the ESSS caps using UH-60A Hasegawa's ESSS wings and cutting them short to right length, then shaping off the ends. Last night I used some putty to close off the end hole and now waiting for it to dry so that I can sand and polish it off and glue it in place.

Will post pics of the progress within the next couple of days or so..

On the side note: How is the ammo magazine feed motor connected to the power source and where do the cables to power it run from? I looked at numerous photos but never saw any electrical cables connected the ammo magazines or motors?

Thanks

Emilio

Edited by Challenge Accepted
  • 10 months later...

Wow just realized it's been nearly 10 months since my last update..

Anyways, after a long break from the build due to other commitments I've just about finished cockpit and cabin. The paintwork turned out pretty good considering it was completed with spray cans. The weathering was done to represent the bird operating in desert conditions hence the sand effect.

Some photos of the cockpit and cabin:

27062013383.jpg

I've decided to paint the minigun ammo magazines black and heavily faded them. The feed belts will be attached later on when I complete shaping and painting them. I couldn't be bothered masking out and painting the floor kevlar plates different color, so I left them the same gray as the rest of the cabin.

27062013394.jpg

27062013399.jpg

27062013401.jpg

27062013402.jpg

27062013403.jpg

27062013413.jpg

27062013415.jpg

More photos to follow..

Please feel free to comment, all inputs are welcome :)

Emilio

Few more photos of the build..

I'm still yet to finish painting fire extinguishers, hence the supports aren't painted yet. Weathering to the fuselage sides isn't complete yet, it'll be done when the fire extinguishers are painted and fixed in.

27062013441.jpg

27062013443.jpg

27062013444.jpg

27062013445.jpg

27062013449.jpg

More to follow soon..

Emilio

• 4 years later...

Whoa, last post was back in 2013...

Hey guys, after a very loooong break, I'm finally back and trying to finish the Black Hawk. Following the last post, the fire extinguishers are finished, painted and installed. I've also drilled the hole/housing for the FLIR (resin from Army Cast); it'll be glued in once the fuselage halves come together. I've also scribbled the panel lines (to match the Hasegawa ones) and cut the hole for the cargo hook. 

IMG_0117.jpg

Dry-fitting:

IMG_0120.jpg

HIRSS exhausts (from Army Cast) were a pain to install and required cutting a bit into the plastic. After both sides were lined up and fixed in, there were some gaps that required filling in with epoxy, it's still in progress, as there are few more details that I want to add to them. Overall, they look pretty accurate, so looking good.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

The main rotor shaft locking nut was built from styrene tube with additional support from left-over sprue to fill the gap underneath. The tolerances are very small so everything feels pretty tight. Prior to gluing the halves together, I'll add extra lubrication oil so that it'll spin very freely. The same concept was applied to the tail rotor,  it spins freely even with gentle air blowing, very pleased with that.

IMG_0134.jpg

Test-fitting the cabin with main rotor. The clearances are very tight, approx 0.25mm from top of cabin roof to the main shaft lock.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

I've also added the pitch beam to the tail rotor, may add few more details and wiring further into the build..

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

I've modified and lengthened the tail wheel yoke assembly from Hasegawa to make in the extended position (in flight), I also added additional wire tube reinforcement in the middle of the yoke just in case...probably over-engineered. I had to scratch build the shock strut from sprue to make it fit, the entire part is approx. 3mm long so it's been a pain trying to carve it out. The support for the yoke assembly is made from styrene tube and supported at the top with additional locking block.

It took a while to find the photo of the hole the yoke assembly hole in the tail...it turns out it's rectangular and not circular as one would expect. Hence I had to modify the yoke hole and make it rectangular. 

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Next task...completing final touches to the cabin/cockpit, and then gluing the fuselage halves together..

More to follow soon..

Emilio

Hey guys, need some info....do SOAR birds always carry crew chief seats or do they fly into combat without them (since the chiefs will be manning the miniguns etc)??

I'm trying to plan out how to join the fuselage halves and contemplating on leaving the crew seats out..

All inputs welcome. Cheers

Emilio

I would think they would have CE seats. If nothing else, they would be available to the crew chiefs in case of a crash landing. All our helos had the crew chief seats installed at all times when flying.

Tim

I know the SOAR flight crews do some crazy stuff, but sitting on ammo cans flying in combat? Are you sure about that???

All the Lima and Kilo pics I've seen always had the crew chiefs seats installed.

Tim