Better late than never somehow, coming in with a Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom II 'Wild Weasel' PT 9 kit which doesn't need much introduction. Decals are from Xtradecal sheet X005 recently bought from fellow ARCer. Ironically, this will be my first build on a -G Phantom, as most of my other phantoms build so far are either the -EJ or the EJ Kai (I'm a nut for JASDF markings)

Opening and inspecting the kit, didn't expect the kit decals to have a SP bird though, will save it for future build and since I had managed to get my hands on this particular Xtradecal sheet, it's going to be a grey phantom then.

Here's a couple of initial shots:

p1040680e.jpg

The box after years of storage :whistle:

p1040682o.jpg

Got both fuselage halves together right from the nose till the tail.

p1040683z.jpg

Upper wing cleaned and re-scribed as per instructions sheet.

p1040684.jpg

Lower bumps cleaned as well.

That's all for now, back to the build. More progress shots later. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys...ok, here's a little slow update.

p1040723l.jpg

Trying make a busy looking cockpit :coolio:

p1040724p.jpg

Replicating wires, not to actual though.

p1040726c.jpg

Ejection seats with tamiya tapes as belts, color of ejection handles still a bit too yellow.

p1040729i.jpg

Wheels done...wash will be at later part of the build.

Thanks guys...ok, here's a little slow update.

(snip)

Wheels done...wash will be at later part of the build.

Looks good, but if I may offer some advice, the front radar scope should be orange-red, The EWO's radar scope CRT (center bottom scope) should be gray and the inboard side of the main wheels was always unpainted, very rusty and generally dirty.

EAA7-30-10025c.jpg

HAF-F204E-cockpit-1.jpg

I don't have a good shot of the rear cockpit radar scope, but trust me that the DSCG scope was gray, about the color of your old CRT TV when it was turned off.

Had a busy week, here's a little changes to the cockpit. Looks about right to me.

Oh man, I hate to tell you this... go back and read what I posted, I said the radar scope in back, the center bottom scope, was gray. I thought you'd understand not to change the other two. The two big CRTs on the main panel are for the APR-38 or later the APR-47, and were green just as you had them, though maybe quite a bit darker. Rick Chin took some good photos of the F-4G at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. The radar scope has the removeable rubber scope hood installed. For maintenance we always took the hood off the scope to make it easier to see the scope, which is how it is on your model.

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/101-200/awa163-F-4Gcp/images%20Rick%20Chin/RC_F-4G_028_rear%20cockpit%20area%20instrument%20panel.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks Scott...with the picture shown, gave me a better clue. Corrected it though. :)

No pictures for now but the main frame is in placed, waiting to be primed to see any other flaws until this stage.

It's really shaping up nicely!

Any other progress?

Thanks for the kind words. Curing stage after having future over it. I think by tomorrow the decals should be coming up next. :)

Johan, How did you get that glowing green effect on those radar scopes? I have some Eagles that this would look good on.

I'd painted them Gunze white, then using Tamiya Clear green over it. Couple of methods I've tried so far.

1. Using enamel based white 50:50 with thinner, give a few hours later acrylic clear green. It doesn't bite the white.

This is the present method I'm using as it's pretty fast and simple. Don't have to dilute the green in fact.

Even if I messed it up,a quick swipe with a cotton bud does the trick.

2. Both enamel, a coat of future after the white... give it a day to cure then goes the clear green over it.

A bit time consuming but does give a good effect as well.

Thanks, :cheers:

I can't believe it is that simple. Now I have to find some Tamiya Clear green and maybe some red for later.

Glad that it helped. Should be an ease once mastered. :thumbsup:

Here's some progress:

Decals completed. They were really thin and nice, encountered a little trouble when soaked a little bit too long...they wrapped themselves in, managed to salvage somehow but unfortunately the yellow band had to be painted as it twisted badly beyond help.

Microsol painted over decals and settled pretty nicely too. A layer of future over it and next should be a little wash. Soon bits of here and there to get it looking like an aircraft.

p1050550a.jpg

p1050549u.jpg

• 2 months later...