Gonna give Big Daddy a bit of competition here. ;)

I was hesitant on entering my current project into this GB but I think I qualify as I had only done a bit of work on it before the GB started; certainly less than 25% completed. However, if the organizers deem that this build doesn't qualify for the GB, that's fine. I'm not entering to win a prize. I'm just entering to finish the thing and show the results.

I have no photos so I'll provide a brief synopsis of what's going on. First off, I'll state that I'm going for effect and not overall accuracy. I'm using the Hasegawa 1/32 F-86F-40 JASDF Sabre as the starting point. This kit has the leading edge slats but it also has the 12" wingtip extension. I was too lazy to graft a set of resin wingtips I had laying around from a previous Sabre build in order to make it a true Sabre 6. There's no resin gone into this one except for the sugar scoop intakes on the fuselage. I'll probably use a set of SAC metal landing gear. Decals will be Leading Edge's 1 Wing set. Three tone camo - green and grey over PRU blue. Model Master enamels will be used. I'm also going to paint the drop tanks PRU blue, just to be different. I usually paint them aluminum.

I'm at the painting stage now. I've primed the Sword with MM light grey (almost white). A few minor seams and imperfections but no deal breakers. I sprayed the PRU blue this morning and I'm waiting for it to dry before I shoot the grey on the upper surfaces.

I have noted that the landing gear door attachment points for this model are quite tiny. I've had to add a few bits of Evergreen stock to doors and wheel wells in order to have a significant joining surface. Hopefully that will work. I'm also going to use the intake and exhaust covers to hide some seams and the unpainted intake and exhaust pipes. Working smarter, not harder on this one. Okay...like I always do. My challenge, as usual, will be finding space to display this thing. I need more shelving space. :bandhead2:

Thanks for letting me play. Photos when the painting is done. Promise.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Cool, another big Canadian Sabre. Don't worry about it being already started a bit, we're not that picky. Looking forward to pics! :)

Thanks for the welcome and clarification, Pete.

Here are the decals. It will be finished as BT 495.

Decals2.jpg

Decals3.jpg

Here are the Scale Aircraft Conversion metal gear and the attached AMS Resin sugar scoop intakes.

SACLG2.jpg

SugarScoops.jpg

The painted underside.

Underside-2.jpg

The nose gear well and gear doors with attached Evergreen bits for extra joining surface. You can just make out some notched Evergreen in the nose wheel bay above the landing lights. This will help attached the folding front gear door.

NoseDoor1.jpg

MainDoorsInside.jpg

Nose2.jpg

Thanks for letting me join in. Additional photos as I progress.

Mike

p.s. - scared yet, BD? :D

Awesome, Mike!! Glad you are in the GB. Looking forward to more pics. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks BD.

No more pics but I sprayed the MM RAF Dark Sea Grey bout an hour ago. Tomorrow, after everything is good and dry, I'll mask for the MM RAF Dark Green and spray that. It'll then be at least Monday before I can spray the anti glare panel, wheel wells, gear door interiors and then any minor touch ups before gloss coating for decals. I'll post photos before I start adding the stickies (what my wife calls decals).

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

I just finished painting the anti glare panel, wheel wells, gear doors, exhaust area, intake and exhaust plugs and wheel hubs. I'll lay down the first coat of gloss tomorrow morning and another after that. Hopefully some photos tomorrow evening but if not, definitely Friday as I'm working afternoons / evenings on Wednesday and Thursday.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

I just finished painting the anti glare panel, wheel wells, gear doors, exhaust area, intake and exhaust plugs and wheel hubs. I'll lay down the first coat of gloss tomorrow morning and another after that. Hopefully some photos tomorrow evening but if not, definitely Friday as I'm working afternoons / evenings on Wednesday and Thursday.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing pix!

BD

Two coats of MM Glosscoat are on everything. I'm going out for the day shortly but here are the photos of the paint before I start with the decals tomorrow.

Wheels and hubs

Wheels-1.jpg

Gear cleaned up with a coat of aluminum paint

LandingGear.jpg

Steel exhaust

Exhaust.jpg

Vertical stabilizer

FinTip.jpg

Left side

LeftSide-5.jpg

Right side

RightSide-1.jpg

Top right

TopRight.jpg

Top left

TopLeft.jpg

Front plug

FrontPlug.jpg

Rear plug

RearPlug.jpg

Thanks for checking in. More photos as decals go on.

Mike

Mike..

Nice to see you doing some real work... :tease:

Looking good..I think you are doing a brilliant job on this one and glad that you posted the pics...

It was getting a tad hard trying to imagine what it looked like.. :coolio:

Keep up the good work...

HOLMES :wave:

We'll I've started adding the stencils. :blink: :wacko: I've done the fuselage and gotten as far as #51 (76 actual stencils) on the sheet in the photo above. I still have the upper and lower wing surfaces and the main tail markings and fuselage letters and numbers. That's it for today. Back at it tomorrow.

Thanks Sebastijan. It's a trick I learned from someone here a while ago. I use Nexcare waterproof first aid tape by 3M.

It's the first product at the top of this attached page link.

http://solutions.3mcanada.ca/wps/portal/3M/en_CA/Nexcare/Home/Products/FirstAid/Tapes/

It's very flexible. It comes in a one inch thick strip. I cut it into 1/4 inch strings and use it to get the hard edge. It works well on compound curves and leaves no residue. You have to exercise a bit of caution when removing the tape as it can lift the paint underneath if you're not careful. What I do is remove some of the adhesive and tackiness from the tape by putting the sticky side down on my pants or on a piece of paper towel (ensuring there is no large pieces of dirt or debris or paper on the tape) and then mask the pattern. I then fill in the areas not to be painted with tape and paper. I won't use anything else now for masking, especially when I have to mask a compound curve.

Since my last post, I've added the upper wing stencils and some of the ones on the lower wing. I still have 67 stencils and decals left to apply, including the fuselage codes and tail insignia. Hopefully will get those done on Wednesday and Thursday. Will add another couple of photos when decaling is done.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

All the decals are finally on with a few minor issues resolved...hopefully. Most decals went down without issue. There is some silvering of the stencils but its not too bad. There were a few issues with some of the main markings though. The "495" on the right side of the fuselage completely shattered after soaking in hot water for about 30 seconds and trying to remove it from the backing sheet. Fortunately I was able to use a 4, 5 and an inverted 6 from the remaining decals to get 495 on the right fuselage. The 5 on the left side had a few small tears but I was able to salvage that one. The Red Ensign on the left side of the vertical stabilizer will not conform to the tail even after two applications of Solvaset. I have applied a thin layer of Future to see if that helps snuggle it down. The Red Ensign on the right side was no trouble at all. Because of the Future, I'll wait a couple of days before applying a final gloss coat and adding the remainder of the parts.

Here are some photos of the decals applied. You can sort of make out the bubbling of the left side Red Ensign in the first photo. The bubbling shows up as a lighter shade of red than the rest of the Ensign.

Checkerboard1.jpg

Checkerboard2.jpg

Checkerboard3.jpg

Checkerboard4.jpg

495left.jpg

IntakeWarning.jpg

JetBlast.jpg

NoseMarkings.jpg

FuelFiller.jpg

LeftWing.jpg

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

All the decals are finally on with a few minor issues resolved...hopefully. b Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Nice work Mike,

I'm in disagreement with Dave/Leading Edge on the placement of the wing fuel stencils. Two pics of factory fresh Sabre 6s show the stencils should be matching the angle of the main spar, vice straight fore and aft. Ref. (Milberry's book Pages 228 and 190) Photos of the top of a wing are sure hard to find. There is also a couple of pics of the '55 Skylancer Mk5s that show the angled arrangement of these stencils.

Also, most Sabre 6s had the black anti-glare continue to and cover the windshield framing.

This is not a complaint or anything concerning your build--more like a public service announcement for others and their present and future builds.

Model On !!!

Tony

It's official. This build officially 'hooped'. About an hour ago, I sprayed a final gloss coat to seal the decals. I just went downstairs to see how she looked and it's a complete disaster. The paint has bubbled and almost all of the decals have fogged / clouded / silvered. Yes - I did spray gloss coat and not thinner or mineral spirits. The paint job and decals are a complete write off. I'm at a total loss.

So...all that to say that this build is finished as incomplete. I know there are ways to remove paint but at this point I'm just so perturbed with what's happened, this one is going into the hold pile until I decide to resurrect it at a later date to refinish it.

Damn!!!!!

These were my initial thoughts when I discovered the mess on my Sword. I have since mellowed a bit and will take the steps necessary to correct the mess in order to finish this GB project.

Edited by AX 365

It's official. This build officially 'hooped'. About an hour ago, I sprayed a final gloss coat to seal the decals. I just went downstairs to see how she looked and it's a complete disaster. The paint has bubbled and almost all of the decals have fogged / clouded / silvered. Yes - I did spray gloss coat and not thinner or mineral spirits. The paint job and decals are a complete write off. I'm at a total loss.

So...all that to say that this build is finished as incomplete. I know there are ways to remove paint but at this point I'm just so perturbed with what's happened, this one is going into the hold pile until I decide to resurrect it at a later date to refinish it.

Damn!!!!!

Holy crap. Mike! That really stinks. What brand/type of paint were you using?

Model Master Enamels and Model Master Gloss Coat. They're what I use exclusively and I've never had this problem before. I made sure the Gloss Coat was thoroughly mixed before spraying it, shot it with about 19 psi and a nice medium coat - not a mist but not a bath. As one of my Italian friend's dad says, "Sum na ma beech! Jezza ma Cries!"

Oh well...

Looking spiffy, Mike!

Now you've done it again. I was just thinking that (one day) I would build my 1/32 Sabre in natural metal finish, and then I see how beautiful the camo job looks on yours... Decisions, decisions.

ALF

Model Master Enamels and Model Master Gloss Coat. They're what I use exclusively and I've never had this problem before. I made sure the Gloss Coat was thoroughly mixed before spraying it, shot it with about 19 psi and a nice medium coat - not a mist but not a bath. As one of my Italian friend's dad says, "Sum na ma beech! Jezza ma Cries!"

Oh well...

That's exactly what I am going to be using. Now I'm really worried. :pray: Did you do a primer coat?

Edited by Big Daddy