Hi all !

I've started working on my Revell/Hasegawa kit. I've talked with Stevehnz about this build (Thanks dude)

I'm building the soild nose B-25, it had 4 machinguns in the nose, no turrets. It maybe was painted like the Invader (two tone green camo, with light blue undersides)

progress:

DSC06465.jpg

The gun barrels is made of streched cutten bud (or q tip) and glued into place with super (crap) glue. for nose weight I've used 3 old 9mm tips.

The cockpit, not much to say, instrument panel is decal :bandhead2: but it's impossible to see any way

DSC06464.jpg

DSC06463.jpg

The wheels, I think they turned out pretty good

DSC06456.jpg

Later on there will come a T-6 and my old Invader (HORROR build)

Cheers,

Mikkel

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

The B-25 is all most ready for paint!

I've look around for Academy Texans and order some, so I'll make the T-6G flown by José Pignatelli ( a Portuguese pilot) and I've been lurking around for a Super Constelation, so I can make the Biafran Grey Ghost!

Tommorow there will be photos of the Invader and B-25 :)

Best regards,

Mikkel

Mikkel, I'll be looking forward to these updates, just a note about the Grey Ghost, she was an L-749A not a not a L-1049. I think Heller do one of these, I've looked at getting one for a bit to do this plane as well. There is a profile & photo in "Shadows", I'll scan these in a day or two & let you have them, working nights just now, too brain dead to drive the scanner properly.

Steve.

are you sure?

It looks very L-1049 to me, square windows and long fuselage? I got the Shadows (the (air force) libary had it!)

I've found a Airfix L-1049G, cheap, the kit has both the long nose and the short fat nose (transperant) it is HUGE!

are you sure?

It looks very L-1049 to me, square windows and long fuselage? I got the Shadows (the (air force) libary had it!)

I've found a Airfix L-1049G, cheap, the kit has both the long nose and the short fat nose (transperant) it is HUGE!

Oval windows & short fuselage with short nose though that can be so for both versions as can the long nose. Profile on page 198, B&w photo on page 254, colour photo on page 111. I think the Airfix 1049 was a reboxed Heller one, Heller do/did both versions, the 749 & 1049. There were a heap of 1049s on the relief flights with Joint Church Aid, one of the Canairelief ones would make a good subject.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Hey Mikkel

Nice build up but what happent to the comentary "I´m tired of African models" !!!!! well I have around here some Brazilian B-25 decals around in glorious (the word not the the british carrier) 1/72 scale

Best modeling

Armando

BTW how is now the weather in Danemark ???

Hey Armando!

well I got bored in latin american Mustangs and P-38's :P but have you ever seen a really cool camo B-25 from latin america?B)

update on the B-25, I've smashed a landing gear :deadhorse1:

best regards,

Mikkel

BTW the weather is...fine...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mikkel, sorry its taken me so long to get back to you on this, hope you don't mind I've fixed your picture links so they show up. How have you got on with these. I was going to try & scan some more pages from "Shadows" but I don't think there is much else that would help here. I reckon your colours are about right but the brown might be a bit too much as in too many small blotches & too feathered at the edges. Most illustrations of Biafran schemes show them with a hard edge to the camo blotches & some seen to indicate a dark border.They were probably brushed or rollered rather than srayed I'd guess. I reckon this page shows what I mean quite well. I wondered at the use of a Tamiya paint pen to do the edges of the blotches though the green may be too light, a black outline wouldn't be too out of keeping, but dark green/black green would be better. For markings I'd go with a flag on either tails or rear fuselage, though the later minicons seemed to where roundels. As there're no other refereces whatever you fancy is OK really but in general it seems less was more.

Mikkels B-25 pictures.

DSC06952.jpg

DSC06953.jpg

It'd be good to have an update. Did I ever scan & send you the pics of the Grey Ghost?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Hi Steve!

I have been work in bit on it, camo is done, I have repainted it and removed most of the brown spots. I have also added decals, as you said, only on the tail.

I'll look around for some tamiya paint stiks then, or maybe some sort of makeup sticks?? (not my own of cause :rolleyes: )

Another update, another landing gear is broken!

I will add some photos tomorrow!

Regards,

Mikkel.

Ps. I cant find those grey ghost photos, could you send them to me?

Hi Mikkel, I think I might have just thought I'd sent you those particular scans as I can't find the email or the scans. I'll scan them when I finish this work cycle & get them to you. The good part is that I must apologise about the Grey Ghost, on hunting through "Shadows" for the pictures I find the one for the original grey ghost which was a l-1049, not a very good photo though. I was thinking of the planes that replaced that when she was grounded, two L-749s one of which met an early end the other went of to serve the Biafrans till the end of the war. This one was also painted in a low vis finish of Biafran blue/grey uppers.I wonder what the FS595 shades for them both are. :unsure: :lol:

Steve.

• 1 month later...

well it's done, I don't like the finish at all dry.gif

In the last weeks I think that my models have gone bad, crappy finish, mistakes all over. I don't think I'll build more from Biafra the next mounth!

anyway, here it is:

DSC07606.jpg

DSC07608.jpg

DSC07610.jpg

Cheers,

Mikkel

Hey I like it. I like different subjects.

The only thing I noticed is the props look weird. Are they weathered or is there overspray? Or we're these actually painted? (I honestly have no idea) to me it looks like they're painted to match the camo.

Hi!

Bigasshammm, thanks!

Yes the wierd stuff on the props are overspray, i tried to add a little on the prop like on the real thing, but there came a huge spalsh!:bandhead2:

First I wanted to fix it, but now I don't really care :/

Thank you very much Rogiér!

The B-25 was one of only two in Biafra, and it flew for about 3 mounths before being shot down...

Comments and chritisim are very welcome!

Hey Mikkel, don't be so down about it. I reckon you've done a beaut job of it, especially considering the lack of references for it. I'd imagine that is very much as it would have looked. I'm liking it for sure. :thumbsup2:

Steve.

Thank you Steve!!

Lack of references! there is only one bad photo dry.gif :lol:

Cheers,

Mikkel

& its just that lack of references that makes what you've done all the more wonderful, you've conjured up a very repectable, believeable version of this plane & from my perspective, a superb tribute to a courageous & tragic people. Seeing what you've done with this certainly makes me keen to do one of these as well as the A-26 & the L-749a, & heck maybe a Canair relief L-1049 as a tribute to a tortured time whan courage & bravery was nearly but not quite, enough but it still carved its own epitaph in the hearts & minds of many right thinking (I hope) people, not least my own. ^_^

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

& its just that lack of references that makes what you've done all the more wonderful, you've conjured up a very repectable, believeable version of this plane & from my perspective, a superb tribute to a courageous & tragic people. Seeing what you've done with this certainly makes me keen to do one of these as well as the A-26 & the L-749a, & heck maybe a Canair relief L-1049 as a tribute to a tortured time whan courage & bravery was nearly but not quite, enough but it still carved its own epitaph in the hearts & minds of many right thinking (I hope) people, not least my own. ^_^

Steve.

Indeed, the extreme courage and bravery of the Biafran air "force" is a real "drive" when you build some of their aircraft!! I can't believe that there is no movie about it...dry.gif

I hope to see your A-26 soon :whistle:

I hope to see your A-26 soon :whistle:

You wouldn't be hinting at something would you? Like, Steve, get your A into G, you'd be right anyway. I do have a Biafran build in the wings, not an A25 but one I was going to do for a Whatif group build, I ran out of time on that but guess I'd better dust it off & do something before too long, just don't hold your breath in the mean time. :lol:

Steve.