OEZ/KoPro/KP Models Su-25

Hi all,

Just ordered a KP Models Su-25K.

Since it's the OEZ tooling, I decided to search for reviews under all 3 company names. Reviews seem to differ greatly, varying from "It's a crude lump of plastic" to "A challenge, but builds into a nice model". (And the usual "OMG this looks great!!" in-box review) Did KP clean up the OEZ moulds, or is it just different opinions at work?

How would you guys rank the kit in terms of buildability, would it be, say, on par with an early Kinetic F-16 kit? Or would it have more of a "limited-release kit" kind of quality?

Any major pitfalls to expect? (I got a resin K-36 seat by the way)

Edited by nitevision92

Monogram have various shape issues and is based on the pre production airplane presented at LeBourget see Comparative.

In terms of buildability is better than a "limited release kit" but not on par with a Tamiya or Hasegawa new kit. Surface detail soft and overdone as on a limited release kit.

In short, keep the weapons build the revell one. It's a real challenge but the best example I can give you is how many revell SU-25s are going around sporting eduard decals.

Having built the Monogram kit and the KP one my humble opinion is this... both are nice models and is up to you if you can "live" with their shortcomings. For some reason I prefer the Kp model becouse is more "updated". I don't know about the Rvell kit.

Isn't the Revell kit the old Monogram kit? As far as I know, it should be. If it is than it has some pretty serious shape issues. The OEZ/KoPro/Eduard/KP kit are all the same kit and quite accurate in outline. I had no problem with the fit on mine.

Edited by Otto

Yes, OEZ/KP/Kopro/Eduard is all the same kit, which is quite accurate, like Otto said. I would use the aftermarket for cockpit/seat and decals. It has some minor fitting issues like all OEZ kits, but other than that, I see no problems with it...

As for Revell/Monogram, I know it's an old kit and quite inaccurate.

As for Revell/Monogram, I know it's an old kit and quite inaccurate.

It is actually quite accurate for what it represents - a preproduction T.8, like Andrea already mentioned.

For a production Su-25, I'd go with the Eastern European kits, warts and all.

Cheers,

Andre

Hi

I bought the old OEZ boxing last year and built it up, I have since bought another for the stash. I wouldn't worry, it goes together well, the main 'pitfalls' that I noted:

Gear placement is a bit vague (a defect of the ancient instructions, so shouldn't be an issue with the new boxing)/use Eduards instructions

In terms of fit, there aren't that many parts to worry about, make sure you deal with the join of the engines/re-scribing before you fit them on the body otherwise it will be hard to work on.

Pretty horrible seam lines on the intake and exhausts (use tubing or two mike resin covers which I have recently got and retro-fitted) or be prepared from some serious filling and sanding

A new cockpit wouldn't go amiss.

My decals were shot, but my boxing was ancient so again, won't be an issue with a newer boxing. I got some aftermarket ones and did the Ukrainian Splinter camo:

P1010260.jpg

Ian

I bashed the OEZ & Monogram kits to make a T-8 as used in Afghanistan. Used the Monogram fuselage and OEZ wings, which are thicker and have better pylons & stores. Also used the OEZ canopy, which works fine if you're posing it open.

090918-01Su25.jpg

090918-03Su25.jpg

I dunno guys, there are definitely benefits to both kits. The OEZ/KP/Eduard kit is best for accuracy, but the Monogram/Revell kit is not far off, and with a little work can be brought up to accurate standards. I've never found the "shapes" of the Monogram kit objectionable, just the details.

The Monogram kit is based on the T.8 prototype that was brought to Le Bourget in 1989, and from what I can see they got everything nailed pretty closely. There are two things that are missing:

1) The RAM air inlet at the base of the vertical fin - this is the primary differentiator between the T.8 and a production Su-25.

2) It would appear that they were not allowed on top of the aircraft, as the panel details, particularly the wings are not accurate to a T.8 or Su-25, they appear to be "best guesses."

So if you're willing to re-scribe the wings, particularly the shapes of the control/flying surfaces, and add the RAM air inlet to the base of the fin, I think the Monogram kit is a better start point. With the various other aftermarket bits that are out there - Resin Art cockpit & wheels, Eduard Pylons, Aerobonus or Eduard weapons, etc. those things can be upgraded on either kit.

The OEZ kit is a challenging build, nothing that can't be handled, just don't expect shake and bake. the panel details are also dodgy and very soft, not even up top current "limited run" kit standards.

In fact, if you want to see what can be done with a Monogram Su-25, one must look no further than this wonderful build that was right here on ARC:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=110442&hl=su-25&st=0

Don't know if the pictures are still there or not, but it was one of the best builds ever posted here, with loads of great techniques.