I'm getting ready (I hope!) to convert my 1/48 Special Hobby X-15A-2 to X-15-3...specifically for flight 138, which Joe Engle flew. I've got Hypersonic by Jenkins and Landis (I do not have the scrapbook however). I'm wondering if anyone might have any details for this particular flight? I know I need to shorten the fuselage, and add the sharp edge to the rudder and that it flew without the ventral fin. The side tunnels are shorter on -1 and -3 than the A-2 correct? Does anyone know if it carried a tail-cone box on this flight (I think it carried the Langley Horizon Definition in the tail-cone box)?

Any help would be appreciated!

David

You're welcome!

Actually, I had expected Mr Landis to chime in here as he contributes regularly to X-15 threads ... but anyway, here's a link to another review of his Reference CD.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/land/cd_land_x-15.shtml

The email link provided may be outta date as the review was 5 years old, but it'll give you a head start. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

So I've given up on converting it to the -3, but I am working on it still. I'm having a difficult time with the canopy sitting flush with the fuselage. I'm going to be doing it as an in flight, but I'm torn over if I leave the canopy unglued so the pit detail is still visible, or do I glue it and sand it flush.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the fuselage all buttoned up, seams sanded down...and I go to put the ball nose on, and its gone! It's such a small bit that I think I inadvertently threw it away when I snipped the other piece off the sprue. I'm trying to make one from a segment of sprue, and sanding it down to shape; however I'm getting frustrated with that approach.

Is there any chance of getting a new bit from Special Hobby or am I SOL on that?

Anyone have other ideas?

David