REVELL 1/72 C-160 Transall

I'm still working on my F-16 DJ but just to wait a little bit, I start a new topic probably already known by some of you. But this time Iwill insist on the tips for each steps of the built.

First the complete model:

photostransallrplicbis0.jpg

I added all lot of improvements on the kit especially in the cargo, for the windows and windshield which had been made in plexiglass. I will show you as well how to correct an issue on the main landing gear. The mould add been designed according to the Aerospaciale manufacturer technical plan. This is why this scale model is very accurate in dimensions.

Now let's start with preparation of the fuselage and next, the cargo and the cockpit detailling.

The cargo

dtailstransall8.jpg

dtailstransall11.jpg

dtailstransall12.jpg

dtailstransall13.jpg

dtailstransall14.jpg

dtailstransall15.jpg

dtailstransall16.jpg

dtailstransall22.jpg

dtailstransall24.jpg

Hold the line, more updates this week end.

Eric

Edited by Eric F

That interior looks amazing, Eric!

Can you tell us little more about your foil technique, especially how you adhere the foil to the sidewalls?

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

It is adhesive foil, and the bulges underneath are made with plastic card.

Eric

The rest of the pics for the cargo:

dtailstransall25.jpg

The benches are in pewter sheet

dtailstransall26.jpg

dtailstransall29.jpg

The forward bukhead:

dtailstransall40.jpg

dtailstransall35.jpg

dtailstransall49.jpg

The left side wall. Note: on the french Transall the side cargo door were not used.

dtailstransall54.jpg

Aft of the bulhead 40, the area familiarly called by the crew, the "church"

dtailstransall52.jpg

Around 400 stiffeners had added!

dtailstransall53.jpg

dtailstransall56.jpg

Eric

We can notice that I modified the kit to represent the side doors opened. To do so, I had to disregard the logic of the assembly instructions. They recommend to attach all the components of the crago (floor, roof and side walls) together first and then put it in between the two half fuselage. As far as we are concerned, we have to glue each side wall to its associated half fuselage with the cargo floor and one side, witchever. It is to make sure that the side wall will coincide with the opening on the fuselage. The result is perfect because the kit had been very well designed.

The RH side:

dtailstransall61.jpg

Another view of the LH side:

dtailstransall92.jpg

The nose wheel well:

dtailstransall5.jpg

dtailstransall6.jpg

The color is normally zinchromate even if the picture is tends to the green:

dtailstransall57.jpg

dtailstransall58.jpg

With the nose landing gear in:

dtailstransall65.jpg

The rest tomorrow

Bye

Eric

The propellers:

They are very nice. But to make them nicer, I sanded all the leading and trailing edges. It is important to spend some time on that kind of details. This make the difference on the final result. Your scale model looks like more than a real thing than a plastic kit. I usually do the same for the wing, elevators and fin. Just have a look on my M2000D and compare the wing with the original one out of the box.

dtailstransall81.jpg

I painted them in Alclad white metal. Then, I sprayed the yellow shaded whith some white. Look at the effect on the leading edge of the blades. It is done with the airbrush by not sparying perpendicular to the blades, but from the trailing edge to the leading edge.

dtailstransall83.jpg

The final result:

dtailstransall84.jpg

See you soon

Eric

Edited by Eric F

The cockpit:

dtailstransall1.jpg

dtailstransall71.jpg

dtailstransall75.jpg

dtailstransall73.jpg

The instrument panel and overhead panel are the kit decals on which I added some knobs and switches:

dtailstransall74.jpg

On that pic we can see what we are going to explain shortly after: how to maque the windows in plexiglass.

dtailstransall78.jpg

dtailstransall80.jpg

dtailstransall79.jpg

dtailstransall93.jpg

The two half fuselage are attached:

dtailstransall94.jpg

dtailstransall112.jpg

The crew entry door is scratch-built for better detailing:

dtailstransall114.jpg

dtailstransall115.jpg

The APU exhaust:

dtailstransall111.jpg

This picture shows you the good angle between the landing gear and the fairing. Is not, your aircraft will have the tendency to be noose down.

angledecollagede.jpg

The engine nacelle:

dtailstransall107.jpg

dtailstransall90.jpg

As for the trailing edge, the exhaust is sanded to be as thinner as possible:

dtailstransall110.jpg

The speed brakes: all the holes are drilled deeper with a 0.3 mm drill. Of course to be done manually between two fingers.

dtailstransall108.jpg

We have exactly the same number as he real thing.

Edited by Eric F

Today, I show how to make and adjust plexiglass windscreens ans windows. First, I wanted the cockpit beeing visible from outside. Yhe only solution was to open the sliding windows. But I rapidly faced an issue: the depth of the kit cristal part. So that leaded me to make them in 0.5 mm plexiglass, the same that had been used for the M2000D canopies.

To make them is not so difficult concerning the adjustments. You can notice that, except the center front windshield, the others are in contact with the fuselage on only 3 sides.

The process is the following:

First we position the center front windscreen. This part is important because it will adjust the pitch of the dome over the cockpit, and as a result the hight of all other windows.

transall109.jpg

Then we cut all the windows from the plexiglass sheet:

transall110.jpg

Do not forgot the sliding windows; to be attached at first:

transall112.jpg

transall113.jpg

Small details, the curtains:

transall116.jpg

Next step we glue the dome:

transall118.jpg

Then, dry check for all the other windows:

transall119.jpg

And we can start the adjustment with putty by taking care of protecting the window with tage:

transall120.jpg

transall121.jpg

transall123.jpg

transall125.jpg

For the finish, I use some Tamiya extra fluid glue that I melt directly in the Tamiya putty tube. I melt them and immediately put the cement on the model with the brush.

transall126.jpg

This time, I use Frisket instead of Tamiya tape to have a thinner joint.

I made a specific tool for that step. I guled a small surface of sand paper on a small piece of Evergreen:

transall128.jpg

And we repeat the process as long as we need:

transall129.jpg

Finally the result optained:

transall131.jpg

The rest by the end of the week-end.

Eric

Edited by Eric F

The model almost ready for paint:

We can notice that I filled the holes giving access to the wing fairings. They really are too deep for that scale. I replaced them by plastic card ans I made a size to re-scribe them again after the painting phase:

gabaritencartedeplastiq.jpg

rouestransall017.jpg

rouestransall018.jpg

Making the taxi and landing lights:

dtailstransall98.jpg

dtailstransall100.jpg

dtailstransall102.jpg

dtailstransall103.jpg

As for the windows, we protect the clear part:

dtailstransall106.jpg

The painting phase

First we spray a primer (Gunze acrilic) with a neutral color close the camouflge. We correct all the defaults and so and so until a pefect finish.

pollux.jpg

The camouflge before weathering:

peinturetransall004.jpg

peinturetransall011.jpg

In the net post we'll have a long list of photos from various angles and lights.

Eric

Eric,

simply wonderful! A great model, and very well explained the way you built it! How many days/weeks did you spent on this beauty?

HAJO

Thanks HAJO,

As far as I remember, I spent around four month.

Eric

Edited by Eric F