Shuttle Wars: Monogram vs Revell, Part 6

Very nice!

That blue cover on the workbench gives the video a more professional touch.

BTW: what did you use to thin the acryl green/blue? I know you've said it in one of the former videos, but I am just too lazy to search for that small video part.

Edited by Lancer512

Very nice!

That blue cover on the workbench gives the video a more professional touch.

BTW: what did you use to thin the acryl green/blue? I know you've said it in one of the former videos, but I am just too lazy to search for that small video part.

Actually, I usually don't put down the blue poster board when I am working. I use it as a background for still photography (see the blog). I had accidentally left it there as I had just taken some photos. The poster board would quickly get wasted if I kept it down when building.

Regarding the paste. Just thin it with acetone. I use nail polish remover (Cutex). There are different varieties...some are not 100% acetone. I use the 100% stuff. Keep in mind that Acryl and Squadron Green putty both set up and dry pretty fast, and if you keep a paste mixture handy in a Testors paint bottle like I do, make sure you throw a squirt of acetone in when you finish to keep it from drying out on you. Also, double Saran Wrap the bottle top to minimize evaporation. If it is allowed to dry, it's toast.

I prefer the Squadron Green over the other putties I have tried because it sands easily and is easy to see on any surface, but it is a little harder to feather because a lot comes off when you sand it. I know some folks can't stand the stuff. But I am used to it and I like it. The key is to graduate your sandpaper down as needed to get your edge. A putty like Tamiya White feathers beautifully and does not shrink much in comparison to Squadron, but it IS harder and more dense, making it more difficult to sand. As I have said, you pick your battles.

Edited by DutyCat

Another fine, and educating, production Gil.

Thanx alot!

I learned about diluted Putty ... this tip will certainly come in handy. And the application of it between the masking tape ... geez, I just smeared it all over the place and then sand the beejeebers out of it :bandhead2: ... I like your method way-y-y better!

And I found the Green stuff chipped just as you said, and figgered my stuff was just too dry, and I filled THOSE chips with the grey Tamiya putty. I'll try some of the White stuff next time.

Thanx again Gil!

Pete