my Cylon Raider

I picked it up at the LHS today and went right to work.

there is only about 25 parts in total so assembly is pretty straight forward and fast. in about 45 minutes I had all of the major sub assemblies together.

It needed some filler on the large seam between the upper and lower wings. fortunately the seam is on the underside, so it doesn't really need to be filled. i did it anyway. there are several large locating pins to locate the major parts so the fit is top notch. most of the seams needed no filler at all.

anyway here she is

mocked up and waiting for the mr surfacer to dry

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

all the major sub assemblies

not much to it

DSC_0012.jpg

you can see the filler i put around the front of the wings lower edge

DSC_0015.jpg

Dylan

I got it primed with a 50/50 mixture of tamiya gloss black and future.

then I oversprayed that with straight future

it looks really cool in black

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_00012.jpg

DSC_00073.jpg

then I started on the different metallic shades

DSC_0014.jpg

I picked up one of these too, and it looks good in the box. I was wondering about the fit, and it looks like it's not exactly Tamigawa quality, but no surprise there. At least it's styrene and not ABS like some other recent sci-fi kits.

I'm debating throwing it together or waiting and getting a lighting kit. VoodooFX has one already, but their red LED "eye" is fixed, I'd kinda like one that moves, since that's what people think of when they think Cylons.

I'm planning to deepen some of the scribing on some of the louver vents on mine too. My plan for the finish is similar to what you're doing, but I want to experiment with the BMF a little on something that's not a "real" aircraft. Instead of doing an all-gloss-black basecoat, I'm going to do panels in different colors--white, grays, blues, etc, in both gloss and not-so-gloss and then go over it in one color of metallic and see how that turns out. I'm also planning on sludgy oil filter/wash and dot-filtering like I do for armor models. I think that will give it the varied dull finish they look like on TV.

Can't wait to see more of your progress.

Curtis

thanks curtis

the fit is near tamigawa quality, no filler really needed on the outer edge of the wing pieces. and the rest of the kit is engineered so that there are no seems really visible.

the gloss black is a leftover from using alclad, it really helps put down a nice smooth base for the metalics and then prevents you from putting the paint on too thin. the black will show through if it is too thin.

for the metallic colours i used Valejo aluminum and steel.for the darker shade of steel i mixed a little panzer grey and a drop of russian amour green to it.

I got the main painting done

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Edited by dylan

Vallejo aluminum and steel? Excuse my ignorance, but is this enamel/ laquer or acrylic? It looks really good, and as my supply of metallizer is dwindling and I hate Alcald, this may be an option.

Nice looking Raider!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As the others have said - great looking Raider!

The Raider in the new series fixed a glaring issue for me I had even whem watching the original series as a little kid - "why the ... would you design a three-place cockpit for a fighter that's going to be controlled by robots anyway..?" ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• 1 month later...

Wow. That is excellent piece of work! As for mine, I have not decided if I wanted to do the missile bay or not.

I did not realise the gun barrels are oval. But one day, maybe..

In the meantime, one thing led to another, and this is what mine has become; a model's model <_<