Model plane in fish tank

So we just got our first fish tank, gift for wife. I thought it would be fun to sink one of my old model planes in there! But SWMBO is worried about the paint flaking off and other stuff from it contaminating the water....

So here I am asking the question- what do I need to know?

Anyone else done this?

Wil al acrylic painted aircraft with Future overcoat ever have a problem? What about a plane finished in enamels or Laquers?

As long as its not Vallejo, your fish are fine. No oil residue from any past painting I hope, no thinner, no solvents on the paint that could leech off the parts like oil on water?

Wow, you still remember than Ham? LOL

The plastic isn't going to bother your fish at all. Neither will superglue. Some reefers use the gel kind to glue live corals to their rocks (I wouldn't try it, but I've heard of them actually applying it underwater in the tank).

Personally, I've used regular spray enamel on a plane and dropped it in. Seemed like it was ok. Now though, I'd go with the Fusion brand paint that actually bonds with the plastic. I used fusion paint to hide some of the plumbing in my saltwater tank and everything in there is happy.

Don't worry about weathering the plane at all. once it sits in there for a while some algae will grow on it and you'll get some good coverage.

John

Thanks Pastafarian. I should have clarified I'm not building a new model to put in the tank but dropping in an old one. In this case probably my old Tamiya F4F-4 painted with a mix of Enamels and Lacquers with a Future topcoat.

Wow, you still remember than Ham? LOL

The plastic isn't going to bother your fish at all. Neither will superglue. Some reefers use the gel kind to glue live corals to their rocks (I wouldn't try it, but I've heard of them actually applying it underwater in the tank).

Personally, I've used regular spray enamel on a plane and dropped it in. Seemed like it was ok. Now though, I'd go with the Fusion brand paint that actually bonds with the plastic. I used fusion paint to hide some of the plumbing in my saltwater tank and everything in there is happy.

Don't worry about weathering the plane at all. once it sits in there for a while some algae will grow on it and you'll get some good coverage.

John

A friend and I were just talking of doing this, but I thought it'd be a bad idea.

Thanks for the info! I just might sink a battleship of some sort in my tank.

One other question - what would be good for ballast to keep a model on the bottom?

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Thanks Pastafarian. I should have clarified I'm not building a new model to put in the tank but dropping in an old one. In this case probably my old Tamiya F4F-4 painted with a mix of Enamels and Lacquers with a Future topcoat.

I'd go with a new kit. The Future is likely to dissolve into your water column. Your fish will be very shiny, but I'm not sure what that would do to their organs. :P Revell kits are great for the fish tank. Cheap, panel lines don't matter, etc.

Just a suggestion, if you knock a couple AA holes in the fuse you can get a few kuhli loaches that will use it for a home. they're good for keeping your gravel bed clean.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0oG7hfLXUJPWGsADW1XNyoA?p=kuhli%20loach&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of fish do you have in there now?

Kalashnikov, I just use some aquarium gravel inside the kit to weight it down. Also, depending on rough a ride your ship had to the bottom, your main gun turrets might fly off (happened with the Bismarck). :)

John

It should be fine if the model is painted with enamels or lacquer. DO NOT use a model with weathering and sealed with Future because it will eventually dissolve and it and the pigments suspend in the water...toxic to fish as it will adhere to their gills or get trapped in their digestive system. Bare plastic is best.

So basicaly if he want to use an old already built model he can just spay a new enamel clear coat to seal everithing off !

I'd guess you could do that. I'd do a couple of really heavy coats of clear and let it dry for a day or so between coats. Will enamel stick to future though?

Also, probably goes without saying, but if the model was a tail sitter and you filled the nose with lead fishing weights, that kit is out.

John