A 1/48 Hobby Boss Demon with Bones - Jolly Rogers F3-H

Well, I'm going to try and do this without Chris' knowledge as a surprise! I started this last Friday just spraying the base color to the cockpit but was able to proceed a little further with the cockpit today.

DSC05838.jpg

The painted cockpit prior to insertion to the cockpit shell

DSC05840.jpg

The cockpit in the nose shell. A small gap at the base of the windscreen

DSC05839.jpg

Size comparison against the F4 Phantom

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Thanks guys,

Brian the scheme will be grey and white and hopefully with black and yellow tail checkers and a yellow rear canopy hump as per the lower image on the Almansur link.

http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/jolly61.htm

Regards

Edited by Andrew Doppel
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Hornet97, this kit is available from any good hobby shop or online model shop.

Well after a long period of nothingness, I pulled this out again today and strted to get things together whilst I await bits and pieces to be done on my Sabre projects for the colourful aerobatic team GB. Today I added the PE to the engine before putting the fuselage together properly. The fit is good but will need a little putty on the tail and nose. Here's how it's looking;

DSC05996.jpg

The engine detail with PE supplied with the kit

DSC05997.jpg

The office. I decided to use the decal over the IP.....Wish I hadn't!

DSC05998.jpg

The fuselage together

I also put the U/C wells into the wings and put the tail together. These should be on tomorrow night.

Regards

Amazingly this Demon is longer than a Phantom....just! I worked solidly on her today and now have her on her legs. There's a few minor things to add to the fuselage before I start puttying and painting. Here's some pics including detail and size comparison to the Phantom and Crusader;

DSC06005.jpg

Tail bumper and arrestor hook

DSC06004.jpg

Main U/C

DSC06003.jpg

Front U/C

DSC06002.jpg

Airbrakes

DSC06001.jpg

Port profile

DSC06000.jpg

Starboard profile. I'm not going to add the refueling probe so those holes will be filled.

DSC05999.jpg

Size comparison to F8C and F4-B

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

With phase one of the sanding done, I'm hoping with the delivery of decals next week sometime, this biggy should just, and I mean just be finished on time. Chris has stalled on his Corsair preffering to build a Panther which is just about ready for paint too.

Pics soon

Regards

The main paint colours on but........

DSC06191.jpg

DSC06192.jpg

I think I'm going to have to go back and fix a couple of seems which only showed up this arvo which means this isn't going to be finished by the deadline. As well as this my decals have yet to arrive. We'll see I guess.

Regards

Well the email came thru yesterday morning from the supplier in the States that my Demon decals were just being posted. Given I have been on nightshift and it's now currently 5.15a.m. Australian EST on the 30th of June, this bird isn't going to get finished on time for the deadline but I will post images until it's finished. I have painted the nose black. I also found a magazine with reference to the Demon that has some interesting images of the JR Demons to use as a guide.

Regards

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Andrew,

What magazine did you find that in? As another huge JR fan I plan to do a couple of Demons.

If I cannot find that magazine would you mind emailing me scans if the Demon article you mention?

Your Demon looks great BTW!

Cheers,

Denis

Edited by EX_Birdgunner
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the AZ Models decals thinking they would fit this kit but I was wrong, wrong, wrong. The tail chequers are slightly small and the Jolly Roger flags looked wrong also. Anyway I used the tail markings and will touch up where the trailing edge is on the rudder and I will use the zig zags for the wing markings and canopy surround. Other than that i have basically used the Hobby Boss decals which are superb. I was fortunate enough to get a second set of the JR flags to correct the reverse issue Hobby Boss made with their decal sheet. I hope to have this finished early this week and I hope you like the progress?.

Regards

DSC06216.jpg

DSC06217.jpg

DSC06218.jpg

Well, she's finished! 1/48 Hobby Boss F3-H Demon of VF-61 Jolly Rogers OOB with the addition of scratch seat belts and AZ Models wing, rudder and canopy markings. Only a week or so late but better late than never! Chris and I now have every aircraft flown by the Jolly Rogers done from the first Corsair through to the Super Hornet. I hope you like it.

DSC06219.jpg

DSC06220.jpg

DSC06221.jpg

DSC06222.jpg

DSC06223.jpg

DSC06224.jpg

DSC06225.jpg

And with her younger brother

DSC06226.jpg

Regards