Mermory Lane Group Build

I had an idea, lets see what you guys think. While bashing my head of the table while scratch building, it occured to me how much easier modeling used to be when we were kids, slapped some glue and paint on a kit, then proceeded to the back yard for combat. How about a group build to bring those memories back of why we got started in this great hobby, maybe your first kit period, or maybe a memorable build with dad. Dust off those old but classic kits, maybe the Monogram box scale Missouri that won countless battles in the bath tub, or like me a Gwillows P-40 that helped me learn that spinning in a rapid cirle with a belly full of PB&J and Vernors was a VERY bad idea. Maybe a Revell P-47 that let us know model airplanes can't "realy" fly (sorry dad), or the B-17 that carried out numerous succesful bombing runs on the dog. You can go ape s**t and use as much aftermarket or scratchbuilding as you want to make an oldie a gem, or just do a simple OOB to bring back fond memroies. Or you can go completely retro and use all the old techniques, such as a finely brush painted NMF :D The build can be anything from your past, planes, cars, ships, rockets, balsa, pinewood derby, maybe a science project volcano :) the list goes on. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks for looking.

Edited by rightwinger26

I had an idea, lets see what you guys think. While bashing my head of the table while scratch building, it occured to me how much easier modeling used to be when we were kids, slapped some glue and paint on a kit, then proceeded to the back yard for combat. How about a group build to bring those memories back of why we got started in this great hobby, maybe your first kit period, or maybe a memorable build with dad. Dust off those old but classic kits, maybe the Monogram box scale Missouri that won countless battles in the bath tub, or like me a Gwillows P-40 that helped me learn that spinning in a rapid cirle with a belly full of PB&J and Vernors was a VERY bad idea. Maybe a Revell P-47 that let us know model airplanes can't "realy" fly (sorry dad), or the B-17 that carried out numerous succesful bombing runs on the dog. You can go ape s**t and use as much aftermarket or scratchbuilding as you want to make an oldie a gem, or just do a simple OOB to bring back fond memroies. Or you can go completely retro and use all the old techniques, such as a finely brush painted NMF :D The build can be anything from your past, planes, cars, ships, rockets, balsa, pinewood derby, maybe a science project volcano :) the list goes on. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks for looking.

I'm in, I just went back to my glory days and dd the old 1973 1/48 Monogram F4U-4, no aftermarket stuff and I didn't even sand the seams. It was a very relaxing build with no cursing about a resin pit not fitting after sanding to no end. I am currently looking for the 1973 boxing of the 1/48 Monogram Hellcat for my next nostalgic build. I'm in. The decals screwed me om this build, I have fixed them since these pics were taken. Rob

IMG_20120119_153930-Copy.jpg

IMG_20120119_153755-Copy.jpg

Edited by 71roadrunner426

This is kind of what I've decided to do. I built the Revell MH-47 and Italeri UH-60, which I turned into a DAP, several years ago, (I was in the 8th grade) and butchered both. I'm now going to hopefully improve on my failure.

Edited by Sarathi S.

rightwinger, would you like to be the moderator for this group build?

Starting perhaps in August or September running for 6 months?

It sounds like a good idea to me. Course pretty near EVERY group build idea lately has been a good one. And I am good with that.

I don't know if I could be THE mod, but I would love to help. The problem is if we start in August, thats about the same time I roll back to sea duty, so no garentee I could devote to it full time, I'm not planning on going anywhere, but s**t happens. The chiefs results come out in August too and if I make chief, the I won't be doing anything non-work related for a month and a half or so (hers hoping). But I would love to help, maybe assistant mod, or something like that.

Count me in. I just don't know how to choose.

I don't know why I would do one with tube glue and handbrushed testors enamels... yes fun but then what to do with it? I was never any good at brush painting. That would turn me off the project.

But maybe a build the way I wish I could have done it then? So - doing a kit from my past with my techniques of today? There are a few I wish I could have back. The monogram phanton and f106. The hobbycraft Mig-29. The old BSG viper.... the big revel Huey... oh, that would be great to do again!

Here's the old pinewood car I made with my dad when I was a Boy Scout, geez, I think I was in third or fourth grade, its survived a while!

IMG_0132.jpg

There are so many kits I could make for this, I wish I coulld find the old Monogram USS North Carolina kit. Maybe I could make the Mono Yorktown that unfortunatly found her way to the bottom of Moon Lake in northern Michigan, or a Mono P-51, this time NOT brush painted testors silver with a 1" brush :action-smiley-082:

My first model was the 1/72 monogram F-15E. Ive been looking for that kit for a while now. Havent seen it in stores since the late 80s!

That kit pops up on eBay from time to time, so keep your eye out!

Anyways, here's what I'd be down for building- these are my very first kits I built as a kid when I inherited them from my late uncle. I spent the last couple years tracking these down and have them ready to go:

1/72 Esci CF-18 "Frelon"

1/72 Fujimi Sea King (The yellow RAF rescue chopper)

1/72 Fujimi F-14A Jolly Rogers

I know there's some more of them..

Again, sounds great. But someone will need to volunteer to be the mod. Rightwinger can help, but we need a full time mod to put the official request in.

Modding is not hard. Really 5 minutes a day once its started and a few more at the end if you hand out prizes. (which makes the GB interesting).

I'd probably join in. I have a stash full of older kits.

Moderating a GB is pretty easy, its mostly just setting up the rules, getting the word out then being a cheerleader to keep things moving.

Rightwinger as long as you are around in the beginning to get the ball rolling, helpers can fill in behind you to keep it going. I've been AWOL from the Arctic / Antarctic GB I started for more than a month due to my move taking longer than planned and it is still humming along just fine without me.

Any news if this group build is going foward, I have two kits now for this build, The 1/48 Monogram 1973 A6M5 Zero, boy, I'm really reliving my childhood now

Well as soon has we get a volontere to MOD the GB it could start as soon as July

Well, I guess I can mod, I mean I just don't want to screw it all up if I disappear for a month or two, but if it really isnt that much work and some of you are willing to help if I vanish, then sure I'll do it. I got to many ideas to build :) I may start with a good old Mustang. I was poking around my back yeard the other day and found a couple green army men (no kids, I still shoot them with my air rifle from my back porch:D) and started to remember when I painted those little dudes. There were also some pretty epic battles between the north and south on my 4x8 lionel train set........I made sure the north always won :) And who can forget the first time they saw a Tomcat go "supersonic" with the wings spread, and by supersonic I mean as fast as legs could move!!

It's weird I've been trying to think of a model from my childhood that stands out and I can't think of one. I just jumped around a lot. I already built the Ducatti bike I tried to build as a kid and that turned out much nicer.

I remember butchering one of the McLaren Mp4/?s when I was younger so I may join in with one of those. Lord knows I have a bunch of them.

Good idea for a GB my memory just sucks.

Maybe I could rebuild an Airfix 1/72 B-17g but that kit is a dog.

Hamm, I've been wiating for you to chime in, I figured you were gonna say Mono B-17!!!!!!!!, I'm slightly disappointed. :) I started digging through some of my old stuff a while ago, found my green screen gameboy, played tetris for an hour :) Then I found pictures.

Edited by rightwinger26
  • 2 weeks later...