Something you don't see very often......

...a warbird rolling under an overpass. :jaw-dropping:

MovingtheLanc290407-12e.jpg?t=1329781981

This was taken about 5 years ago when the Canadian Heritage Aircraft Association moved it's Lancaster, FM212, from it's static outdoor display here in Windsor's Jackson Park to a local hanger. It was badly in need of an overhaul/rebuild and there is talk of returning it to airworthy condition. We can only hope. :thumbsup:

Amazing! If that one ever gets restored to airworthy condition, that will make it only the third flying Lanc in the world. Two of them being in Ontario! B)

I thought there only two airworthy Lancaster's; one here in the UK and one in Canada?

...there is talk of returning it to airworthy condition. We can only hope. :thumbsup:

Cool beans! That would be awesome. Thanks for that interesting tidbit, BD. I had no idea.

I thought there only two airworthy Lancaster's; one here in the UK and one in Canada?

Not to appear officious B, you are correct. Jamie said that if the Lancaster in the photo is restored to flying condition, that would make three flyable Lancs; two in Ontario (both located within a milk run of each other!) and the third in the UK.

Are the Panton brothers at the Licolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre totally committed to getting Just Jane flying or will it remain on the ground, limited to taxi passes? If they put her up, and the CHAA puts up this one, that would make four flying Lancs. :woot.gif:

:cheers:

Mike

Cool beans! That would be awesome. Thanks for that interesting tidbit, BD. I had no idea.

Mike

Mike,

Now that I am retired I am going to join CHAA as a volunteer so I will be on top of the situation and keep you posted. Another cool project they are working on is a Mosquito build. I took this pic about 3 years ago at an airshow here in Windsor so I am sure there has been progress made since then.

Mossie.jpg?t=1329832520

Don

Cool pic! Last I heard the plan was to get FM212 into taxiable condition..getting her in the air would require several more cubic kilometers of loonies (see..I can speak Canuck. B)) In any case, it's great to see the FM212 getting some TLC. I last saw her onnna stick in the park back in the late 90s. She was holding up OK, but had a less-than-accurate paint scheme and several coats of paint and bird droppings.

Interestingly, not only is the Windsor Lancaster just a stone's throw from the flying one in Hamilton, the two are sisters..the CWH Lanc is FM213, the next one off the line. I once heard that when FM213 was being restored, the CWH swapped some non-airworthy parts for airworthy bits of FM212

SN

Edited by Steve N

Cool pic! Last I heard the plan was to get FM212 into taxiable condition..getting her in the air would require several more cubic kilometers of loonies (see..I can speak Canuck. B)) In any case, it's great to see the FM212 getting some TLC. I last saw her onnna stick in the park back in the late 90s. She was holding up OK, but had a less-than-accurate paint scheme and several coats of paint and bird droppings.

Interestingly, not only is the Windsor Lancaster just a stone's throw from the flying one in Hamilton, the two are sisters..the CWH Lanc is FM213, the next one off the line. I once heard that when FM213 was being restored, the CWH swapped some non-airworthy parts for airworthy bits of FM212

SN

Yup, you are correct, sir. I spoke with one of the volunteers yesterday and he was saying that, despite the fact that the main spar was cut to mount 212 on her pedestal, there is new technology that makes airworthiness not only possible, but more affordable. Who knows how much moolah it would take, but it's certainly something to hope for. :rolleyes:

Cool!

It's nice to see the government putting some thought to the conservation of recent history.

With that in mind, I see your Lanc, and raise you a submarine:

102_.jpg

107_.jpg

114_.jpg

considering the effect that military relics have on some people (some of which are politicians), the fact that the transport happened at all is a miracle in itself, and the technical details that had to be overcome are minor in comparison.

From what is last knew Don. FM212 has now been put back together and

has two running airworthy engines and is regularly started up,

Theres a chap on LAF who updates us all regarding FM212.

As for Just Jane not much is heard about getting her back in the air

but the Pantons have purchased :- four brand new prop's - two brand new

main-wheel tyres - Two airworthy Merlin engines and stacks of new parts

which are crated up in wooden boxes, also a correct working upper turret.

If anyone has wondered why they have a Dakota at EK ? This is for future taxy rides

because when they do start [if] to get JJ back in the air the public will not be allowed

into JJ ever again and Fred and Harold are worried it will kill the museum.

As for that Submarine how on earth would you get it around a corner :woot.gif:

Ian.

Not to appear officious B, you are correct. Jamie said that if the Lancaster in the photo is restored to flying condition, that would make three flyable Lancs; two in Ontario (both located within a milk run of each other!) and the third in the UK.

Are the Panton brothers at the Licolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre totally committed to getting Just Jane flying or will it remain on the ground, limited to taxi passes? If they put her up, and the CHAA puts up this one, that would make four flying Lancs. :woot.gif:

Mike

No offence taken or meant.

I understand that the Panton Brother's are amassing a vast cache of spares and necessary money while looking at the viability of returning their Lanc to the air.

Do you think Peter Jackson would fund both of these for his Dam Busters remake?

From what is last knew Don. FM212 has now been put back together and

has two running airworthy engines and is regularly started up,

Theres a chap on LAF who updates us all regarding FM212.

As for Just Jane not much is heard about getting her back in the air

but the Pantons have purchased :- four brand new prop's - two brand new

main-wheel tyres - Two airworthy Merlin engines and stacks of new parts

which are crated up in wooden boxes, also a correct working upper turret.

If anyone has wondered why they have a Dakota at EK ? This is for future taxy rides

because when they do start [if] to get JJ back in the air the public will not be allowed

into JJ ever again and Fred and Harold are worried it will kill the museum.

Ian.

Thanks for the update, Ian. I'm looking forward to getting over to the hanger this weekend and seeing "Bad Penny" (FM212) up close and personal.

Interesting news about JJ! Maybe there are secret plans in the works. One can only hope!

Don