These people need to be boycotted.

I check the exchange rates every day, sometimes a few times a day. There is still no excuse for these prices.

Jeez, which bit of this aren't you getting?!? There doesn't NEED to be an excuse for those prices. It's priced at what hey think the market will bear and that market will decide. No excuses needed. It's called capitalism.

I'd say that 50% of kit pricing is borne by whatever the end user will be will to shell out. I'm with others in saying that we live in capitaists economy, and if we don't like it or feel it's priced too high; then we don't usually buy it. I have no real love for the plane, but am agnostic towards Great Wall Hobby. I have a burning hatred for Trumpeter that evolved from how well they took care of me with an F14D. So unless the buy is near impossible to pass up; I ain't buying it. Tamiya isn't a whole lot better in my book. Lately I've kinda revived my love for Revell (by the way I liked the Halifax), and have been called out more than once for saying the JU88 is a better kit than the Hasegawa, but it is! Tomorrow I may buy a Tamiya MK. VIII Spitfire because it's rotting on the shelf at the LHS. If it were a Vc or Vb I'd have already bought it.

So in ending, I'd say if it don't float your boat; you don't need it

gary

I remember when the Trumpeter FW200 was about $160 list and selling for about $125. Today you can get them for about $69 including shipping. I couldn't care less about the TBD but the prices are something that I just wont touch. I still wonder what the Hobby Boss F4U-4 will sell for here in the US. I would like to buy one of those but if it is more than $35 on the shelf, I will continue with my Tamiya/Academy Kitbash. I don't care if plastic is a petroleum product. 8oz of plastic is worth in the pennies not dollars. I was in the injection molding business for quite a few years and still have a lot of friends that are. I know what polystyrene is worth. By the way, anyone see Rodan's new T-28 1/48? You will be able to pick them up for under-30-some-odd-bucks. I am definitely going to pick up a couple. I still have to get the "stagger wing" Last time I bought from these guys the shipping was $11 to the US. I know where I might be able to pick it up for about $22 when they have it.

http://modelsua.com/North-American-T-28B-Trojan-1-48-Roden-441.html

Edited by Otto

I remember when the Trumpeter FW200 was about $160 list and selling for about $125. Today you can get them for about $69 including shipping. I couldn't care less about the TBD but the prices are something that I just wont touch. I still wonder what the Hobby Boss F4U-4 will sell for here in the US. I would like to buy one of those but if it is more than $35 on the shelf, I will continue with my Tamiya/Academy Kitbash. I don't care if plastic is a petroleum product. 8oz of plastic is worth in the pennies not dollars. I was in the injection molding business for quite a few years and still have a lot of friends that are. I know what polystyrene is worth. By the way, anyone see Rodan's new T-28 1/48? You will be able to pick them up for under-30-some-odd-bucks. I am definitely going to pick up a couple. I still have to get the "stagger wing" Last time I bought from these guys the shipping was $11 to the US. I know where I might be able to pick it up for about $22 when they have it.

Ah the Beechcraft Stagerwing!!! I still think it's one of the sexiest planes ever built. I said to myself about twenty five years ago that somebody needs to model that plane after seeing it in person (Dayton). I too will buy at least one and probably two T28's for my ever growing IndoChina stash. I like Roden kits, even though I know some folks don't (wrong name brand on the box?) I wish they'd do the OV10a and later versions in 1/48th. Their OV1's are nice kits,and recommended. By the way I have to hunt up a good 1/48th JU52 and yet another A26 for that stash.

gary

Yes, because the price of the computer you're using was only based on the cost of it's component parts... :rolleyes:

If you don't want to spend that amount of money on a kit, well then don't spend it. It's simple. You crying about it on the internet isn't going to make any kit manufacturer drop their prices. The actual cost of the materials used in the model (from the plastic to the paper used for the instructions and the card used for the box) represents the smallest part of the equation. Everyone in the supply chain - from the manufacturer, the distributor, the importer, the delivery company and the retail outfit need to pay their staff and suppliers and make a profit on top. That process sets the end price. The market will then decide with it's wallet whether that price is too much or not.

It's funny, but I didn't hear anyone complaining about the cost of the 1/32 Tamiya Spits and Mustang.

Vince

... I couldn't care less about the TBD but the prices are something that I just wont touch. ...

So, you probably wouldn't have bought it regardless of price.

Personally, I'm happy as can be to see all this activity, both by newer manufacturers and on less common subjects. When I find something compelling, I buy it, hopefully from the LHS. I most definitely will not complain about what's not interesting to me.

Mediocre quality and outrageous prices will do them in soon enough.

And yet... people slobber all over themselves about every new Trumpet-Boss-Etic-Wall kit regardless of how mediocre the quality. "Hey, it looks like an XYZ to me" as they shell out $150 for a crap kit, and then get offended and all high and mighty if someone actually comes out and says (with facts to back them up) that the kit is crap.

The theory of mediocre quality not attracting business is good, but the reality doesn't seem to work that way. I don't get it myself. I've bought my last Trumpet Boss kit sight unseen. If I see a kit and read some reviews that are actually reviews (not just glowing reports of how cool it is in the box), then I'll consider it on a case by case basis. Anigrand is another prime example of this. I've bought three of his kits, and been burned three times with really, really lousy quality. He won't get another dime from me.

I bought it as soon as SB had it in. Started pulling it apart this afternoon cause I cant wait. This thing is better than anything I have seen. The plastic is very thin where it counts for realism like with the seat, and the stick is a piece of freakin masterpiece...cannot wait to get the PE on the seat!!

Thanks for the heads up about the mask.....thats crap!

-Jim

And yet... people slobber all over themselves about every new Trumpet-Boss-Etic-Wall kit regardless of how mediocre the quality. "Hey, it looks like an XYZ to me" as they shell out $150 for a crap kit, and then get offended and all high and mighty if someone actually comes out and says (with facts to back them up) that the kit is crap.

The theory of mediocre quality not attracting business is good, but the reality doesn't seem to work that way. I don't get it myself. I've bought my last Trumpet Boss kit sight unseen. If I see a kit and read some reviews that are actually reviews (not just glowing reports of how cool it is in the box), then I'll consider it on a case by case basis. Anigrand is another prime example of this. I've bought three of his kits, and been burned three times with really, really lousy quality. He won't get another dime from me.

Do you not know by now that on modeling forums it is a bigger sin to criticize a crappy kit than to produce a crappy kit.

There also seems to be a direct relationship between high prices and acceptance. If they can charge that much, it must be better.

If GW keeps raising the price of the TBD, it will eventually be perfect!

Edited by bigjugs

Do you not know by now that on modeling forums it is a bigger sin to criticize a crappy kit than to produce a crappy kit.

There also seems to be a direct relationship between high prices and acceptance. If they can charge that much, it must be better.

If GW keeps raising the price of the TBD, it will eventually be perfect!

I doubt that more profound words were ever spoken. AaaaaaaH-Men Brada.

Interesting point, but not particularly relevant in this case since GW's TBD is in no way, shape or form "crappy".

Edited by gocoogs

I've got two Trumpeter kits, both of which I've yet to build. The Wellington looks very nice as does the photo Panther. I paid about half of MSRP for the Wellington, which thought was very reasonable ($60) for it. Got the Panther in trade and I'm very happy with it.

I think the TBD is overpriced, but the initial reports from everyone seem to favor the kit. The Black Widow on the other hand has been panned almost universally. Boycott? Nah. I won't buy either of those kits (and I was kinda looking forward to the P-61), but that's personal preference. But if these Chinese companies come out with a 48th subject that I can't get else where (ala the Wellington) and I really want to build it to go with a uniform or artifact, then I'll suck it up and get it. I'll most likely wait until I can get it at a reasonable price though!

Jon

I have some very good Chinese friends working in Xiamen and Shanghai and they earn a very respectable living working in their industry. Can we Please keep the politics and personal vendettas out of the discussion of plastic modeling. The broad statement of the wages that the Chinese businesses pay their workers has little bearing on the high prices of plastic kits....a petroleum product. Taken a look at the Hasegawa 1/48 prices lately? $60 retail on a 1/48 Bf-109G-6 isn't "out of reach"? I don't see any Japanese political comments on how little they pay their workers.... Oh and before you wrap yourself in the American flag, at least recognize that if you use the word God in print, it needs to be captialized.

The Hasegawa 1/48th BF109G6 kits were $43 yesterday afternnon at my LHS. The Greatwall kit was $79. The Trumpeter AV8II was $119, and is probably three times the kit the Greatwall kit is. Personally I see a price gouge with my old eyes, and I see that kit with a 25% off green tag in about six months

gary

Yes, because the price of the computer you're using was only based on the cost of it's component parts... :rolleyes:

If you don't want to spend that amount of money on a kit, well then don't spend it. It's simple. You crying about it on the internet isn't going to make any kit manufacturer drop their prices. The actual cost of the materials used in the model (from the plastic to the paper used for the instructions and the card used for the box) represents the smallest part of the equation. Everyone in the supply chain - from the manufacturer, the distributor, the importer, the delivery company and the retail outfit need to pay their staff and suppliers and make a profit on top. That process sets the end price. The market will then decide with it's wallet whether that price is too much or not.

It's funny, but I didn't hear anyone complaining about the cost of the 1/32 Tamiya Spits and Mustang.

Vince

I was going to buy the Tamiya Spitfire MK. VIII yesterday afternoon at my LHS for a tick over $100. Good buy in my eyes, but still more money that I wanted to spend. Had it been a MK. V or a MK.IX I'd have bought it. These kits and the Mustang and Zero are known to be very nice kits that are pretty much dead on. I have three big Trumpeter kits in my stash, and the ME 262 and Harrier look fantastic, but also fall into that price groove. The Greatwall FW189's sell for about $60 in my area. I kinda want to do one and maybe both. I have no idea how the new kit will compair with the FW's, as they are well known to be great kits.

gary

I was going to buy the Tamiya Spitfire MK. VIII yesterday afternoon at my LHS for a tick over $100. Good buy in my eyes, but still more money that I wanted to spend. Had it been a MK. V or a MK.IX I'd have bought it. These kits and the Mustang and Zero are known to be very nice kits that are pretty much dead on. I have three big Trumpeter kits in my stash, and the ME 262 and Harrier look fantastic, but also fall into that price groove.

Eh? Is this another geographical thing? I am something of a fan of the Trumpeter Me262 and have a bad habit of picking them up when bored at shows, regardless of stash size and predicted life expectancy. Mainly as they tend to go for about £30/$47 which is - as I believe you suggest elsewhere - is relatively affordable: it's the price heeled/unwary punters pay for a fifteen year old 48th Bf109 tooling. Never seen the Trump Sturmvogels over £35/$55 from serious sellers, so for me they're far cheaper than the recent Tamiya releases.

(For which, going back to the thread topic, cost far too much for me for aircraft I don't desperately want to model. Hence the continuing absence of either even in my pretty diverse stash. I bet Tamiya have weekly crisis meetings about this...)

I bought it as soon as SB had it in. Started pulling it apart this afternoon cause I cant wait. This thing is better than anything I have seen. The plastic is very thin where it counts for realism like with the seat, and the stick is a piece of freakin masterpiece...cannot wait to get the PE on the seat!!

Thanks for the heads up about the mask.....thats crap!

-Jim

So did I, if you shop around the kit can be found for the right price.

Great Wall has been putting out a great product and I don't think they should be compared to Hobby Boss or Trumpeter. Hobby Boss is hit and miss while Trumpeter is mostly miss. The GW P-61 was very expensive but I saw it on sale at SB for $50.00 and he had 47 in stock. That number quickly dwindled.

The fit of the GW models has been great, the detail is awesome, and a lot of people have been buying them. Many have compared them to Monogram kits, so that itself is a compliment as it shows they got the shape correct.

Eh? Is this another geographical thing? I am something of a fan of the Trumpeter Me262 and have a bad habit of picking them up when bored at shows, regardless of stash size and predicted life expectancy. Mainly as they tend to go for about £30/$47 which is - as I believe you suggest elsewhere - is relatively affordable: it's the price heeled/unwary punters pay for a fifteen year old 48th Bf109 tooling. Never seen the Trump Sturmvogels over £35/$55 from serious sellers, so for me they're far cheaper than the recent Tamiya releases.

(For which, going back to the thread topic, cost far too much for me for aircraft I don't desperately want to model. Hence the continuing absence of either even in my pretty diverse stash. I bet Tamiya have weekly crisis meetings about this...)

I hate to tell you this, but I found the ME262 kit marked down 75% in a sale at the LHS. My Harrier came in a trade with a fellow ARC person, and I'm as happy as a kid in the candy store! The MIG 29 is really not my cup of tea, but seems to be a nice kit. I think I'd rather had the MIG 23 or the SU 25. Now I would love to have the Tamiya 1/32 series of of high grade aircraft, but right now they've pretty much priced themselves out of my checking account. Seems like the price tags are soaring, and my income is falling at about the rate.

gary

Simply because it's a proper name. You wouldn't spell Jennings with a lower case j would you? I didn't think so. Here's a link in case you care to read more. Any more questions?

That's very much a matter of personal taste. I never capitalize it (god that is). But this is a discussion for another forum entirely

That's very much a matter of personal taste. I never capitalize it (god that is). But this is a discussion for another forum entirely

I thought the rule in English was to capitalise if you're referring to your own God, and use lower case when referring to a god of another religion.

Vince

I thought the rule in English was to capitalise if you're referring to your own God, and use lower case when referring to a god of another religion.

Vince

That's mostly correct. I was taught in school to capitalize proper names and indeed the G in God. Check the link I posted above in my initial answer to the query and it explains when to use capital G and when not to.

For what it's worth, timc is right. God in this case is a proper noun (despite your personal views) therefore should be capitalized. Much the same as Devil should be. If you were saying a god or a devil, then that is very different, but when refering to one particular being that is called God, then it should be caps. The whole other discussion is for another time another place.

Bill

(swooping in uninvited to state my views...again!)