M998 Soft top HMMWV B210 26FS 3ID

I started a build thread in the armorama forums but I thought I would start one here as well. I'm building a diorama to represent my days in the Army. It will contain a M934 expando van, M109A3, and a M998. The expando will have it's generator trailer and just maybe the M109A3 will have a trailer to. It's going to be a big project but one that is from my past so I will enjoy this one a lot. For the M934 i'll be using Italeri's M925 shelter truck for a base for real model's conversion kit. Still waiting for the conversion kit to come in the mail. The M109A3 will use the real model conversion as well with the AFV club M35A2 as the base. The 998 will pretty much be out of box with a few add ons like a radio and after market tires. I'm also using figures from different manufactures to get the poses I need. Let's start with the M998 as I have most of the stuff on hand to build it.

Here is a pic of B210 while making a food and shower run during one of the many M1A1 gunnery's we supported.

1%286%29.jpg

2%285%29.jpg

A shot of the kit and the stuff i'll be using to fill the Hummer up.

3%281%29.JPG

the kit comes with 3 parts trees in tan and one in clear. There seems to be no flash and is well molded.

4%281%29.JPG

I gave the parts a good wash in dish soap and laid them out to dry.

5%281%29.JPG

6%281%29.JPG

I went ahead and put the suspension components together and gave them a coat of aluminium.

7%281%29.JPG

8%281%29.JPG

I sprayed some green and black to give me some nice variations in the scratches. I remember lots of scratches that just went down to the green. some went all the way to the metal. Now i have to go to the store to get some clear coat and some hair spray. It will be my fist time trying the hairspray technique on a model. wish me luck

9.JPG

Thanks for stopping buy, comments welcome.

Mark

well i got the frame and suspension coated with a coat of hair spray and then applied the tan. After letting it dry i went to chipping away at it. I think it came out fairly well.

10%281%29.JPG

11%281%29.JPG

12%281%29.JPG

i then went to work assembling the main body. I used the same steps for the paint as i did on the frame. Aluminium, medium green and clear coat followed by hair spray. Then a coat of tan and then chip away at it. I really like the hairspray technique. It really gives a 3D effect to the paint chip effect.

15%281%29.JPG

16%281%29.JPG

17%281%29.JPG

18%281%29.JPG

20%281%29.JPG

I gave the seats their first coat of olive drab. I may not even put a second coat on. I like the way the tan kinda crackled it's way through. I remember the seat cushions always had a little over spray of tan paint on them.

19%281%29.JPG

I picked up the Voyager models sincgar set, it's not a perfect match to what we had. I made a little shelf and some mounting legs and came up with someting I can live with.

21%281%29.JPG

Maybe i'll put a folded map on the shelf and a open MRE by the radio. The set even came with the GPS to go in the pouch on the right side. We started using those maybe in 97. They were mainly a toy as to most people had never heard of GPS then. Can you believe we actually had to read maps back then?

Wow somebody commented!!! Thanks for taking the time to comment i'm glad you like it so far. As far as the chipping goes I am very happy with the way it came out. I highly recommend the Hairspray technique.

I wanted to have the back cover rolled up. I was trying to figure out how to get it done. Then I remembered the way some people use a candle to stretch sprue. So cut out the flap and used one of my wife's candles to roll it it. I think it came out pretty good.

23%281%29.JPG

24%281%29.JPG

25%281%29.JPG

I got the under carriage installed. I'll muddy everything up when it's time to make the diorama.

26%281%29.JPG

I'm going to stuff enough gear in there for three soldiers.

27%281%29.JPG

28%281%29.JPG

Thanks for stopping by

Mark