Moebius Dracula Chop

Hello all,

Today on the chopping block is the Bela Lugosi as Broadway’s Dracula kit by Moebius. I know it has been said many times but I would also like to say what a great kit this is. I plan on buying the deluxe version when it comes out and I didn’t want two Drac’s that were pretty much the same.

I started with the base. To me it seems a little big for a single kit so I chopped it down a bit. While I was doing that I also chopped a pretty good chunk out of my hand, I guess Dracula needed a payment in blood for modifying this kit. I also left off the additional floor section that can be added to the left side of the base.

As for Dracula, I wanted him to look like he was under some sort of an attack. I modified his legs to be open wider. I tipped his upper body back into a more of a defensive position. I raised his left arm and straightened his right arm. The cape… What a pain in the ***. It requires extensive modifications. That is not really the problem though. The problem is trying to install and paint it. I can’t seem to get it to a point where I can paint the inside before installing it. I am thinking about building it without the cape.

9409.jpg

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Els

I am done modifying the base except for the torch. I have chopped up the kit cape and got it to more or less fit. I will not be using the part that is held in his left hand. After trying it, to much of the figure was blocked by it.

9477.jpg

Quite a bit of blending with Aves will have to be done around the shoulders.

9481.jpg

9484.jpg

Unfortunatly, the way the figure is posed, I will have to paint it first, then try to resculpt the shoulder areas without messing up the paint.

Thanks for looking,let me know what you think.

Els

Thanks Hakan,

I had a little time to work on the kit today.

I was able to rough in the shoulders of cape. I will fine tune it with some sandpaper and files after it cures.

9490.jpg

While waiting for that to cure I worked on the base.

9485.jpg

I am going to try and cast the torch flames in clear resin so I used my favorite mold making material for small parts.9496.jpg

This stuff is great, it is like putty. You just mix two parts together 1:1 and let it cure for about 20 minutes. I am going to try to imbed an LED from one of the tea lights into the clear resin. I am not sure how that will look/work.

I have finals this week so I probably won't be able to work on it again until next weekend.

Els

I popped my clear flame out of the mold I made and wanted to post a couple of quick pictures.

I used one of these battery operated tea lights to light the flame. The have their own switch, battery and flicker so it is perfect for an electronics idiot like me.

tealight.jpg

I cut off the LED and imbedded it in the resin when I poured it. I then ran some wires through the base and resoldered it to the switch that I hot glued on the back of the wall. This is what it looks like with the light off.

9578.jpg

And here it is with the light on. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, it’s hard to get a low light shot with a point and shoot. I think it will look pretty good after I put some clear oranges and blacks on it.

9576.jpg

9571.jpg

Els

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time to work on the kit. Most of the body/cape has been painted. The head is about 50% done. I just have the head and body sitting on the base because I cannot decide on the pose I am going to use.

9579.jpg

Els

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished this thing. I added a stake to the ground with the idea that someone tried to stake him but Dracula was able to knock that away, but then he had to recoil from a crucifix.

20120511.jpg

Here is a picture with the light on.

20120512.jpg

It is hard to photograph in the low light but it looks pretty cool with its flickering effect.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think

ELs

• 1 month later...