1/72 Heller F-94B Starfire

The Heller 1/72 F-94B Starfire kit arrived in the post yesterday and I thought I would make a start on it .

AlaskaF-94BStarfirepic1.jpg

I like how the decals have a silver backing around each marking which will help in not allowing the orange/red aircraft color from showing through ,

Also I think the "bat-wing" looks really cool .

Anyway I did some preliminary airbrushing on the fuselage halves and cockpit pieces .

AlaskaF-94BStarfirepic2.jpg

The F-94B looks like a nice straight OOB build as I have felt a little burned out with all the scratch-building I've been doing on the HH-3E's .

Should have the fuselage and wings all glued together by tomorrow .

John .

I really made a score on one of these off ebay last year. The auction was for 2 F-94 kits in one box. It turns out there was only one F-94 but also a couple of T-33 and P-80 kits in there as well, 6 complete kits in all.

I've always had a bit of a negative image of Heller, but the few I've built recently were all decent kits considering their age and price. This kit looks to be the same, a good solid model that a little tweaking can make into a very good one.

A little more progress on the F-94B .

001-42.jpg

Before glueing the fuselage halves together I drilled out the nose gun ports

002-31.jpg

I picked up a nice PE boarding ladder and some resin seats which are designed for the T-33 but I thought I could still use them for the F-94B

003-28.jpg

004-16.jpg

Here's the fuselage and wings glued on

0012-11.jpg

I'll putty the seams next .

John .

• 1 month later...

Some more progress on the F-94B today .

I airbrushed the wheel wells with some chromate ;

F-94pic1.jpg

I'll mask the canopy and cockpit next and the F-94B will be ready for painting ;

F-94pic2.jpg

There was a couple of sessions of puttying and sanding and I was carefull not to loose too much of the raised detail while sanding .

Looking forward to getting some paint on her .

John .

• 4 weeks later...

I won't be continueing with the Heller F-94B Starfire as it hit the wall at about 50mph last night .

I became quite frustrated at trying numerous times to fix the wings ; The left wing angled up slightly higher than the right wing and I just couldn't fix it .

So sadly and for the first time in over twenty years of building plastic model aircraft , I took my frustations out by throwing it at the wall.... Sorry .

I picked another kit to build and I'll start another post .

John .

I've calmed down somewhat and maybe the aircraft can be repaired ;

001-50.jpg

With the help of a little humbrol glue and clamps it might work out ;

0023-2.jpg

we'll see how things go after the glue has dried and I'll try and fix the wing dhedrial before glueing it back onto the fuselage .

John