Memorial Build for a Lost Tracker

On 9/9/2015 at 6:18 PM, K5054NZ said:

Nice work John, it's all coming together very nicely.

Thanks very much, I'm pretty pleased that after all this time, I'm finally making some progress. Just got to keep plugging away before I get sidetracked and put the kit away for another year or so. Still lots of small stuff, got more cleanup work to do on the cockpit windows, need to scratchbuild some wipers, a couple of antennas, the door interior (BTW, if anyone has a pic that shows what the interior of the crew access door looks like, please share). Might also help if I installed the nose gear. 176 doesn't look very classy with her tail on the ground.

I also have to install the outer wing panels. Originally, I was going to use the very nice Wolfpack resin wingfold kit (the kit parts are ok but lacking some of the fine details). However, I really wanted to represent 176 the way she looked before her final flight, which (to the best of my knowledge) would have been with the wings extended. Doubt they would have kept them folded between flights, especially since NAS South Weymouth had plenty of unused ramp space. Also, I really like the way the S-2 looks with the wings extended. I never realized how long the wings are, they make the old girl look somewhat graceful.

10513445_1434895243436946_3043788132202572534_n

Edited by 11bee

Still plugging away, got the nose gear installed, I like the nose-high look of the Tracker. Also added a few small detail bits and did some touch-up paint work. While doing this, the "176" decal on the right side of the nose pulled off! I think the gull grey paint is still a bit flat and I'm having some adhesion problems. I've got two spare 176 decals (thank goodness Fireball gave me some spares). Can't afford to lose anymore decals.

Does anyone have some advise on how to get decals to adhere better to flat-ish paint? I've got Micro sol / Micro set, I've also heard of some people using dilute white glue under the decal (just Don't want to see anything visible under the clear carrier film). As a last resort, I could try to shoot this area with either future or some glossy gull grey but it's a tight area with other decals nearby. Advise is gratefully appreciated.

Anyway, a few pics of my progress.

IMG_6834_zpspasawsqw.jpg

IMG_6835_zpsadxkeldi.jpg

IMG_6836_zpshidccdoa.jpg

John,

You could try making a mask out of frisket. Just make a photo copy of the decals and lay it under a sheet of frisket and with a new #11 blade and a straight edge make a mask! I did when I did the painted over buno on my Japanese T-2. I think it would look pretty good on there and you wouldn't have to worry about another gloss coat.

Andy

John,

You could try making a mask out of frisket. Just make a photo copy of the decals and lay it under a sheet of frisket and with a new #11 blade and a straight edge make a mask! I did when I did the painted over buno on my Japanese T-2. I think it would look pretty good on there and you wouldn't have to worry about another gloss coat.

Andy

Thank Andy, after a bit of pondering, I decided to carefully mask the anti-glare panel and cockpit windows and then hit the nose with a few coats of future. While I was at it, I oversprayed the remaining decals to try to seal them. The real Tracker had a semi-gloss finish, I think I'll leave things as they are, no additional over-sprays.

After letting it dry (quite a bit, future sometimes reacts to decal setting solution), I re-applied the "176" to the nose (this better work, I've only got a single spare decal left), added some decals to the upper wings (station code, 176 and a couple of fuel filler markings). I also test fitted (no glue) the starboard wing. I had some concerns about how well the wing joint would hold up but it's surprisingly rigid. I'm thinking about just press-fitting both wings so that if I ever move or decide to take the model to a show, I can break it down a bit for ease of transport. At the old NAS So Wey, there is a small museum remaining, I'm thinking about seeing if they might want this model to display (along with the accident report if that interests them).

Anyhoo, here are some pictures of my progress. Still doing some small work on the port wing so 176 is a bit lopsided at the current time. Really like the look of the S-2 with the wings extended.

IMG_6842_zpslckxdnck.jpg

IMG_6841_zpstpgkg88d.jpg

IMG_6843_zps4s2f8anx.jpg

IMG_6844_zps6ywstaok.jpg

I know the wing is drooping a bit, also know I still have to do a bit of touchup on the deicer boot.

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 weeks later...

Hit a bit of a lull but finally had some time late last night after wife and kids were down.

I added some small bits. Pitot tubes to the side of the nose (note that in later versions, these are mounted directly in front of the cockpit windows), antenna on top of tail, scratchbuilt tail "bumper wheel" (what a PITA). Also added a window to the crew access door. This was made from clear plastic found on many packages. I drew a circle with a template and then cut it out and sanded it to shape. I used future to fix the window in place. Dries nice and clear.

Note that this window was specific to the US-2B, I'm assuming to add a bit light to the dark, cramped passenger cabin. Also note that not every US-2B had this fitted, so check references. I never found out what the inside of the door looked like so I painted the interior dark gull grey, added a handle and then painted on some yellow safety instructions. Very hard to see any of this with the nacelle blocking the view.

Props were painted semi-gloss black with flat black deicer boots (I assume that is what they are). Masked and painted the warning stripes and added the manufacturers logos. Not a lot of chipping, all the pics of seen of in service S-2's show the finish to be pretty much immaculate. I added a few chips but in retrospect don't like it. I'll go back and remove them.

Lastly, I glued the outer wings in place. I thought about just pressing them on, so that they could easily be removed but the were just a bit too loose and they were sagging.

Next up on the list - scratch-build some wipers, add anti-static wicks to the control surfaces and a final few small details. I thought about adding all the prominent wire antennas but will probably pass on this. It's way too complex and my skills in this area are lacking.

Some pics:

Wings in place! With the wings extended, she's a big bird.

IMG_6856_zpserwbvrat.jpg

IMG_6855_zps6bqp5oyv.jpg

IMG_6857_zpsjaujknk6.jpg

The access door:

IMG_6852_zpsotmq92kr.jpg

IMG_6849_zpswonaotdx.jpg

Nose view, still have to do a bit of cleanup, I'll wait until the wipers are installed

IMG_6848_zpsrjb8sypq.jpg

IMG_6859_zps00pn11xw.jpg

IMG_6847_zps3thulp87.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments.

I'm getting to the end of this long, long project. Just a few more things to do.

I've added the windshield wipers. the wiper blades were just thin painted strips of styrene, afixed to the windshield with future (holds the parts on nicely and dries clear). I then made the base and wiper arms from styrene and a couple of diameters of stretched sprue. Used white glue to get these parts in place. Don't like messing with superglue or plastic cement close to clear parts or finished surfaces. If you go wrong with white glue, a damp bit of paper towel will remove the entire mess. Prior to doing this, I also used plastic polish to shine up the clear parts. I stopped dipping clear parts in future, I've found that this stuff does a much better job and you don't end up with runs, bits of fine dust particles stuck to the parts, etc.

IMG_6867_zpsld5fkgxp.jpg

IMG_6866_zpsc8fmmegn.jpg

Still need to do a small bit of cleanup around the edge of the windshield and paint the pitot tubes, at that point I think I'm done up front.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you guys, your feedback is much appreciated.

Nothing to post for progress, I just need to add a couple of antennas and do a bit of touchup. I'd like to take a shot at adding all the wire antennas, I'll give it a shot but so far, I've never been able to do this very well. Plus, the Tracker has a very large number of wire antennas, in a pretty complex pattern. Not sure if I'll be able to replicate it very well. Here's a nice shot that shows how complex these antennas are on the S-2.

c31_zpsulqbmuty.jpg

Anyway, I figured I'd provide a list of the modifications required if anyone wants to build a US-2B. Not a very glamorous aircraft compared to all those grey fighters or planes with swastikas on their tails but I think she has a certain charm. Also note that unlike 176, some of these had some pretty colorful markings.

- If starting with the Kinetic S-2E kit, remove fuselage sections fore and aft of the wing to replicate the correct fuselage length. If using the later S-2A kit, I think you still need to shorten the fuselage forward of the wing, not 100% sure though.

- Revise crew seats to replicate early style.

- Correct control wheels as shown

- Correct cockpit bulkhead for properly shaped entry opening

- Super detail the basic cockpit to your heart's content. Not sure how much would be visible, especially if you opt to keep the overhead escape hatches closed.

- Cut in the two starboard side passenger windows

- Depending on whether your subject had it, add a circular window to the crew access door

- Use the kit provided piece to cover the opening for the search radar

- Scratch-build a fairing to cover the MAD sensor opening on the tail (or use the nice Steel Beach aftermarket one)

- Fill the void for the wing mounted searchlight (or use the Steel Beach aftermarket plug)

- Leave off the antennas that were specific to the S-2 sub hunters (check references)

- Scratch-build or use the Belcher Bit reduced span horizontal stabilizers

- Detail the tail bumper wheel assembly

- Add the rudder actuator arm, thin out the forward cover to scale thickness.

- Scratch-build or use the aftermarket parts to replicate the faired over sonobouy covers on the engine nacelles. For early version US-2B's, will need the Steel Beach and Belcher parts. For later versions with the larger aft nacelles, just the Steel Beach part.

- Scratch-build correct carburetor air intakes on the top of the nacelles.

- Scratch-build engine exhaust pipes to replace the featureless kit parts

- Add actuator rods to the cowl flaps

- Thin the various vents and cooling openings on the engine cowling

- If you are a glutton for punishment, add resin engines with the hundred or so connecting rods

- Modify the main landing gear as shown, add the prominent hydraulic lines

- Detail the very basic arrestor hook

- Relocate the pitot tubes to side of cockpit

- Scratch-build windshield wipers

- Shorten and square off the wingtips. Add navigation lights from sections of scrap plastic.

I think that's it. I'm sure I missed a few odds and ends but that should give you the basic steps needed.

I'll wrap this up in the near future and post some final pics. Otherwise, this two-year project is coming to an end!

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not completely done. Almost there....

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in a slightly different take on the crash of 176, check out the "Aftermath" column in the November issue of Flying Magazine.

Peter Garrison did a great job with this story, different direction than my summary on Page 1 of this thread, I really like it. It would be nice to think that the lessons of this crash might help a pilot in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Pt 2:

IMG_6900IMG_6868IMG_6856IMG_6858IMG_6859

That's it, no more of my crappy pics.

Thanks to all the kind members on ARC who volunteered info, suggestions and pictures. Thanks also to Joseph Osborne of Fireball Modelworks who offered to do these custom decals (I'm pretty sure he didn't make any money on this transaction) and to the folks at the US Navy JAG office who answered my questions and sent out the incident report and follow up pictures. Thanks also to Flying Magazine's Peter Garrison for taking interest in this story.

This build is dedicated to the memory of all the US military service members who lost their lives in peacetime. It seems like so many of their sacrifices are forgotten.

RIP Commander Albert E "Skip" Bailey Jr, 39 years old. He left behind a wife and three sons.

RIP Lt Commander Kenneth A Marriott Jr, 35 years old. He left behind a wife and a daughter.

Maybe someday there will be memorial to these men at that ballfield in Rockland, MA.

Edited by 11bee

11bee, I've had nothing to criticise about this build, least of all your photos.

Congratulations on a wonderful tribute to the lost men. I know this has been a real journey for you and I'm grateful you've shared every step of it - not just building and accurising the kit, but also the fascinating and detailed history of the real 176 and the crashsite.

Bravo. Thank you for sharing, and well done on a great model.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On a really nice, and unexpected note - Recently I was contacted by the son of CDR Albert Bailey, one of the pilots of 176.   He's now living back in MA and wanted to meet personally. We spoke a while ago and it sounds like his dad was quite an impressive person.  Hope to meet him in the near future and if he wants it, give him this model as a tribute to his father's sacrifice. 

11bee - lovely work! Your motivations for tackling this build are commendable, as is your resolve to see it through. Your WIP has helped keep the memory of two ordinary men - who's sacrifice made them extraordinary - in the collective consciousness, and hence, alive. 

Thank you for sharing their story and your build. 

Edited by GMK
  • 4 months later...

I had the pleasure of meeting CDR Albert (Skip) Bailey's two sons (Nathan and Scott) and his wife Phyllis this weekend.  They are wonderful people, it was fascinating (and poignant) to hear their stories.  They had just transferred to NAS South Weymouth two weeks prior to accident and hadn't even fully unpacked when it occurred. 

It sounds like CDR Bailey was a special person, he was active in the church and with youth groups.  It also sounds like his family made through this terrible experience ok and have all done well in life.  If I had to guess after only knowing them for such a short time, I'd say a big part of the reason for this was their faith in God.  It was an honor to give them the model of 176.   It seemed to make them happy.

Hard to believe I started this project close to 6 years ago, even harder to believe that it ended up being so much more than just gluing and painting some bits of plastic.  

At some point, I'll try to replace the remaining pictures lost when Photobucket shut me down.    Thanks again to everyone who provided the support needed to finish this.