Memorial Build for a Lost Tracker

• 1 month later...

I just started and finished reading this 6 year long story- all in one day. I was searching for the name of the LCDR on the flight, Kenneth Mariott, whom I worked at Weymouth. For some reason CDR Skip Bailey's name had always stuck with me and while I don't remember meeting him I had already heard good things about him. I believe he was our new Personnel Officer. I remember when the crash happened I was at the base softball field waiting to play a game against the Medical Department. Some of the Med Dept came running across the field carrying stretchers. They said they were responding to an A/C crash. While my memory is vague on all the details of the next few days, I remember late that day giving a ride home to the crewmember from the helo which was flying high trail at the time of the crash. He was an AW friend of mine who was one of the first at the crash site after landing in the field. I also remember standing security watches at the crash site. I was also a member of the Honor Guard at the time and believe we rendered honors at at least one of the funerals. I remember most it was a very sad time for awhile. I was a member of the VP-SAU and flew with VP-92. Like JPK, my father was stationed at Weymouth in the 50's and 60's and my brother and sister were both born at South Shore Hospital. John, thank you for the great story of "176", both the beautiful model and the real life tribute to the pilots who flew her. It could not have had a more fitting or heart warming ending by your presenting the model to CDR Bailey's family. Regards, Dave Wilson

On 2/19/2018 at 5:13 PM, OLDBUOY said:

I just started and finished reading this 6 year long story- all in one day. I was searching for the name of the LCDR on the flight, Kenneth Mariott, whom I worked at Weymouth. For some reason CDR Skip Bailey's name had always stuck with me and while I don't remember meeting him I had already heard good things about him. I believe he was our new Personnel Officer. I remember when the crash happened I was at the base softball field waiting to play a game against the Medical Department. Some of the Med Dept came running across the field carrying stretchers. They said they were responding to an A/C crash. While my memory is vague on all the details of the next few days, I remember late that day giving a ride home to the crewmember from the helo which was flying high trail at the time of the crash. He was an AW friend of mine who was one of the first at the crash site after landing in the field. I also remember standing security watches at the crash site. I was also a member of the Honor Guard at the time and believe we rendered honors at at least one of the funerals. I remember most it was a very sad time for awhile. I was a member of the VP-SAU and flew with VP-92. Like JPK, my father was stationed at Weymouth in the 50's and 60's and my brother and sister were both born at South Shore Hospital. John, thank you for the great story of "176", both the beautiful model and the real life tribute to the pilots who flew her. It could not have had a more fitting or heart warming ending by your presenting the model to CDR Bailey's family. Regards, Dave Wilson

Dave,

Thanks so very much for your comments.  It means a great deal. I wanted to quit this build for multiple reasons but couldn't because otherwise, the loss of those two pilots would have been mostly forgotten.   I'm glad a few folks have benefited by this.  The last part of this project is to reach out to some local boy scouts and see if they might be interested in placing a memorial to the crew of 176 at that ball field. Figured it might be a nice Eagle Scout project.   We'll see how it works out. 

Regards,

John

Greetings John,

I hope you will post on this thread any progress on a future memorial that might evolve. I would definitely attend any dedication ceremony. I am only a couple hours north (Maine) and am planning a visit to the area sometime this spring.

I noticed a couple of those memorial bricks at South Weymouth dedicated to Captain Thomas Hudner. Being from the area I'm sure you are familiar with his and Jesse Brown's story during the Korean War (If not, I could remedy if you'd be interested). Wouldn't that make for a great memorial model build? Maybe you would know if one has already been done? Not being a modeler myself, I'm fast becoming a fan.

Regards,

Dave

• 10 months later...
On 2/24/2018 at 10:26 AM, OLDBUOY said:

Greetings John,

I hope you will post on this thread any progress on a future memorial that might evolve. I would definitely attend any dedication ceremony. I am only a couple hours north (Maine) and am planning a visit to the area sometime this spring.

I noticed a couple of those memorial bricks at South Weymouth dedicated to Captain Thomas Hudner. Being from the area I'm sure you are familiar with his and Jesse Brown's story during the Korean War (If not, I could remedy if you'd be interested). Wouldn't that make for a great memorial model build? Maybe you would know if one has already been done? Not being a modeler myself, I'm fast becoming a fan.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just noted your post from nearly a year ago!  No luck reaching out to local Boy Scouts (at least on the old website I found) but I'll keep trying.   As far as Hudner and Jesse Brown, I'd love to build one of their Corsairs, I'm very familiar with their story.  As soon as Tamiya (or anyone else) gets around to releasing a decent 32nd scale F4U-4, I'm all over it.   Thanks for the interest and if anything develops further, I'll keep you posted.  

Regards,

John

• 5 months later...

I am AMS2 Frank Gilpatrick and I am from South Weymouth , Mass. I used to be on the old transient line at Weymouth from 1970 to around 1973? when I went to the old AIMD shop there in what used to be the old black Marine hangar . I also was one of the last of the original 14 Wonders Boot Camp in Barracks 18. I am now retired back in 1989 ( was 69-89 ) 

While on the Transient Line , i worked on a pair of old S2's , one of which was 136584 ( S2-B ) and found your article interesting and would like to add a couple things about the old S2's . 

I will also add whatever pics I managed to find . It's been so long that I can't remember the side number of our 2nd S2 but both aircraft started with 136 . I was very suprised to see the side number of the crashed S2 started with 133 since that itself would make it alot older than the 2 we had . 

I'm 68 now and my memory slips abit so you'll excuse any redundancies lol . ANYHOW ...... I flew as an aircrewman on 584 down to Shaw AFB in South Carolina back around 1970 with LCDR Craddock and LCDR Sell to refuel and oil 584 . Oh btw , AMS is an Aviation Metalsmith Structural before they combined Hydraulics and made it just AM Rate . 

Ok , where was I ........... Oh yeah , a couple of facts about the S2 , as follows :

1) It had NO glide ratio . Technically the ratio was 10 to 1 meaning it dropped 10 feet for every foot forward . It was a rock . 

2) Forget about bailing out since there were 2 overhead hatches in the rear for the crewmen and the 2 overhead for the Pilot/Co-Pilot and if you managed to get out , more than likely you would get nailed by the Vertical or Horizontal tails . That was if you were in the air . 

3) If you ditched in the water , the S2 sank like a rock ...... hardly any time to get out if you were lucky enough to . 

4) The S2's nickname was the "  Widowmaker 2 " for just such reasons . 

5) The inside of the S2 was primarily Grey and if I remember right , the chutes weren't Red but a parachute pack Green color . 

I was stationed at Weymouth ( my home town ) from 1970-1976 when I got transferred to NAF Detroit , Michigan where I heard about the crash . 

Why they ( the station ) were flying S2's older than the ones we had , I'll never understand . I also had a part time job at the Hanover Mall in the game store later on in the 90's after I retired and was talking one night to a gal who's father was one of the pilots but I didn't ask her name . I reassured her that he did the right thing since I heard he put it into the woods to save crashing into any houses . 

Enclosed is a pic off line here of 584 7Z which I flew on . I want to say the other one we had was 136006 ? Maybe - something like that . 

Ok - the pic of 584 didn't load so I shall try to get it again and post it by itself . 

My E-Mail , if you have any questions I might be able to answer about the base is ,as follows ; fcg57@hotmail.com. 

On 7/4/2019 at 12:05 PM, AMS2 Gil said:

I am AMS2 Frank Gilpatrick and I am from South Weymouth , Mass. I used to be on the old transient line at Weymouth from 1970 to around 1973? when I went to the old AIMD shop there in what used to be the old black Marine hangar . I also was one of the last of the original 14 Wonders Boot Camp in Barracks 18. I am now retired back in 1989 ( was 69-89 ) 

While on the Transient Line , i worked on a pair of old S2's , one of which was 136584 ( S2-B ) and found your article interesting and would like to add a couple things about the old S2's . 

I will also add whatever pics I managed to find . It's been so long that I can't remember the side number of our 2nd S2 but both aircraft started with 136 . I was very suprised to see the side number of the crashed S2 started with 133 since that itself would make it alot older than the 2 we had . 

I'm 68 now and my memory slips abit so you'll excuse any redundancies lol . ANYHOW ...... I flew as an aircrewman on 584 down to Shaw AFB in South Carolina back around 1970 with LCDR Craddock and LCDR Sell to refuel and oil 584 . Oh btw , AMS is an Aviation Metalsmith Structural before they combined Hydraulics and made it just AM Rate . 

Ok , where was I ........... Oh yeah , a couple of facts about the S2 , as follows :

1) It had NO glide ratio . Technically the ratio was 10 to 1 meaning it dropped 10 feet for every foot forward . It was a rock . 

2) Forget about bailing out since there were 2 overhead hatches in the rear for the crewmen and the 2 overhead for the Pilot/Co-Pilot and if you managed to get out , more than likely you would get nailed by the Vertical or Horizontal tails . That was if you were in the air . 

3) If you ditched in the water , the S2 sank like a rock ...... hardly any time to get out if you were lucky enough to . 

4) The S2's nickname was the "  Widowmaker 2 " for just such reasons . 

5) The inside of the S2 was primarily Grey and if I remember right , the chutes weren't Red but a parachute pack Green color . 

I was stationed at Weymouth ( my home town ) from 1970-1976 when I got transferred to NAF Detroit , Michigan where I heard about the crash . 

Why they ( the station ) were flying S2's older than the ones we had , I'll never understand . I also had a part time job at the Hanover Mall in the game store later on in the 90's after I retired and was talking one night to a gal who's father was one of the pilots but I didn't ask her name . I reassured her that he did the right thing since I heard he put it into the woods to save crashing into any houses . 

Enclosed is a pic off line here of 584 7Z which I flew on . I want to say the other one we had was 136006 ? Maybe - something like that . 

Ok - the pic of 584 didn't load so I shall try to get it again and post it by itself . 

My E-Mail , if you have any questions I might be able to answer about the base is ,as follows ; fcg57@hotmail.com. 

Hi Frank,

Thanks very much for the info on the S-2 and it's use at NAS SoWey.   Not much of the base left these days but last time I was out there, both the old and the new control tower were still in place, along with some smaller buildings and one of the large hangars.  Here's the old control tower.  Typical government waste, they actually built a brand new tower but it was never put into use because they closed the base shortly afterwards.  

IMG_6327_zps984b5a14.jpg

I'd love to see some of your old pictures.  Also, pretty funny that you worked part time at that computer game store at the Hanover Mall.  I was in there quite a bit. Probably ran across you once in a while.

BTW, here's that S-2 picture you were trying to post:

S2 136584.jpg

Very clean bird! 

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

I was there!! 

I was 13 years old and lived in Rockland Place my friends and I were playing outside when we heard the crash we we’re about 60 yards from the clearing where the wreckage came to rest we called it the “Milky Way” (I assume because it was a clearing you could see the sky from) it was a party place for the teenagers to have fires and drink.

When we got there it was so hot !! The trees and plane were burning and the smell of jet fuel and wires was unbearable.

Our upstairs neighbor Keith Curtis(an army veteran) helped Tom Reardon( Off Duty Volunteer Firefighter) pull the still breathing crew member out of the mangled cockpit I remember them pulling really hard because his leg was partially and the eventually freed him and attempted to tourniquet his severed leg.

For 20 minutes on August 31, 1978 I saw regular people (my neighbors) become heroes running through a burning crash site looking for other survivors.
 Shortly after the fire engines and rescue workers from NAS South Weymouth showed up and took command of the site.

I had just turned 13 and will never forget what I witnessed that hot august day. Somehow the memories faded even though we would walk through the Milky Way 10 years later and could still smell the burning aircraft on a hot day.

I hope this first hand account helps you!

On 5/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, Johnnyrkt65 said:

Hi,

I was there!! 

I was 13 years old and lived in Rockland Place my friends and I were playing outside when we heard the crash we we’re about 60 yards from the clearing where the wreckage came to rest we called it the “Milky Way” (I assume because it was a clearing you could see the sky from) it was a party place for the teenagers to have fires and drink.

When we got there it was so hot !! The trees and plane were burning and the smell of jet fuel and wires was unbearable.

Our upstairs neighbor Keith Curtis(an army veteran) helped Tom Reardon( Off Duty Volunteer Firefighter) pull the still breathing crew member out of the mangled cockpit I remember them pulling really hard because his leg was partially and the eventually freed him and attempted to tourniquet his severed leg.

For 20 minutes on August 31, 1978 I saw regular people (my neighbors) become heroes running through a burning crash site looking for other survivors.
 Shortly after the fire engines and rescue workers from NAS South Weymouth showed up and took command of the site.

I had just turned 13 and will never forget what I witnessed that hot august day. Somehow the memories faded even though we would walk through the Milky Way 10 years later and could still smell the burning aircraft on a hot day.

I hope this first hand account helps you!

Hi and thanks very much for posting!  I'm surprised you were able to find this long buried thread.   That's an amazing story.  The crew member they pulled from the wreckage was Cdr. Albert "Skip" Bailey.   I met with his family a few years back to give them the model, I imagine they would have been very happy to hear about how many ordinary folks went above and beyond to try to save him.

Regards,

John  

• 2 months later...

Beautiful work and thanks for remembering the crew.

Growing up in air bases and knowing people who have lost family members and friends, I often wonder if anyone else recalls their sacrifices.

It's brought home every day when I look at a mountain about 10 miles from where I'm sitting and clearly visible out my window. Over the years, a B-29 and two KC-135s crashed up there. At least I remember.

Anyway, great job on the S-2.

It makes my new Atlantis kit look like an old beginner level Aurora (actually Comet) kit...which it is.

• 1 month later...

Dear John (and all those who contributed to this story),

I can't thank you enough for pursuing the memories of my Dad, CDR Albert "Skip" Bailey, and LCDR Marriot in such a respectful way!  I have read it over the years and shared it with my mother and 2 brothers. For some reason I could never bring myself to respond but I want you all to know how much this has helped bring closure to a very difficult time in our lives.

Despite this tragedy, please know the story of the Bailey family has been a blessed journey.  My Dad's 2 favorite sayings were "Press On & Then Some" and "Let Love be Your Greatest Aim!"  His memory PLUS the amazing faith, love, and work ethic of my mother, Phyllis Bailey, helped stabilize our world after the accident and allowed us to move forward.  42 years later, I can honestly say it has been an amazing journey and Skip's short 38 years on this world resulted in 3 sons, 10 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren (with 2 more on the way) and many more to come! He also had a lasting impact on many teenagers who were part of the youth groups he lead.

Hope this provides a glimpse into the lives of one of the surviving families! Thank you all!

Best wishes,

Nate Bailey

P.S. My mother turns 80 this year and is in very good health. I know it would mean the world to her to have a something near the accident site (even just a brick) to memorialize my Dad's life and dedication to God, Family, Country! If there is anything we can to do support this, please let us know.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, NDB said:

Dear John (and all those who contributed to this story),

I can't thank you enough for pursuing the memories of my Dad, CDR Albert "Skip" Bailey, and LCDR Marriot in such a respectful way!  I have read it over the years and shared it with my mother and 2 brothers. For some reason I could never bring myself to respond but I want you all to know how much this has helped bring closure to a very difficult time in our lives.

Despite this tragedy, please know the story of the Bailey family has been a blessed journey.  My Dad's 2 favorite sayings were "Press On & Then Some" and "Let Love be Your Greatest Aim!"  His memory PLUS the amazing faith, love, and work ethic of my mother, Phyllis Bailey, helped stabilize our world after the accident and allowed us to move forward.  42 years later, I can honestly say it has been an amazing journey and Skip's short 38 years on this world resulted in 3 sons, 10 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren (with 2 more on the way) and many more to come! He also had a lasting impact on many teenagers who were part of the youth groups he lead.

Hope this provides a glimpse into the lives of one of the surviving families! Thank you all!

Best wishes,

Nate Bailey

P.S. My mother turns 80 this year and is in very good health. I know it would mean the world to her to have a something near the accident site (even just a brick) to memorialize my Dad's life and dedication to God, Family, Country! If there is anything we can to do support this, please let us know.

Hi Nate,

I just saw your post.  Thank you so much for providing some insight on your family story.  A long while ago, I posted a link to this build on an FB site dedicated to the S-2 Tracker.   Was quite impressed by how many folks posted / pm'd me on your father.   It seems he left a very good impression on everyone who met him.  He truly sounds like a very special person. 

With regard to a memorial, I reached out a while back and got nowhere.  I kind of took my foot off the gas at that point.   After reading your post, I made additional inquires.   Got a response from one of the Rockland town Selectmen.  Hopefully I'll make some progress this time.  I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

John

• 1 year later...

Hi John, I am a 14 year old plane spotter from Massachusetts and I have a fascination with aviation. Specifically, locating and researching aircraft accidents, discovering old airfields, and finding vintage aircraft. I had discovered this crash in hopes to put up some kind of memorial. I had done a lot of research, and I was about ready to submit a FOIA request. I just happened to stumble across this, and I am glad that I don´t have to wait weeks to find out more. I do have a couple questions though. Do you happen to know what they did with the wreckage? I find it hard to believe that it´s still sitting out there 50 years later. Also, how close did it crash to the school/fields? Was it right on the edge? Or was it deeper?