The bombardier's perspective,,,

My family bought me a ride on the Yankee Lady for my 60th birthday. Here is the last couple of minutes for your viewing enjoyment. probably the most exciting 2 minutes of my life. :woot.gif:

YankeeLady
Edited by Big Daddy

Very cool! I was on "Yankee Lady" last summer and it's still fresh in the memory bank. Its great that they keep these planes flying, a ride on one is the experience of a lifetime!

Glad you had fun!

Edited by mz826

Thanks, guys. It was definitely a "highlight of my life". There was an older gentleman in our group who flew B-17s during the war. It was his first time on one since 1945 and was a very emotional experience for him and his daughter (and for all of us watching as well). I have about 16 minutes of video footage that I would love to share, just not sure where to host it. I think Youtube has a 10 minute limit.

Also gives a very good idea of how B-25 tree top missions were flow. 8000' route; 500' approach & 50' target run. I d estimate the 50' envelope is not broached until that last 3- 4 lane highway before runway. The early highway with moving traffic is probably broaching 1000' and lower. I m not apilot so I'm sure others can do better job taking us in by narrative.

BD:

Sweet video! My wife bought me a ride in the CWH Lancaster a number of years back. I feel your excitement BD. They wouldn't let anyone into the bombardier's position but sitting up on the flight deck was awesome. Similarly, on our flight was an elderly Polish gentleman who had flown 33 missions in Wellingtons, Lancasters and Halifaxes. Very emotional day for him too. When he spoke, the pilots listened intently.

Nice birthday present. :woot.gif:

Mike

awesome!!! My father and I booked rides on this for this Aug when we are there for the airshow. I can't wait.

quick question..how are the take-off and landing positions determined?

Sean

When we were all ready to board, they asked where we would like to sit. I am sure you could just ask as soon as you meet the flight co-ordinator. As soon you are airborne, you can move around the plane at will. You are going to love it!!

Don