Movie: Act of Valor

Yeah I saw it....a lot better then Red Tails.

A lot of action and none of that Hollywood "say a smart@$$ remark after shooting the bad guy crap".

Acting kinda stale.......Hell there SEALS, not pansy actors.

Glad to see that the SEALS have time for stuff like this. It's not like there is a war on....

In defense of the SEALS, my guess is that they would not want anything to do with this and were probably "ordered to volunteer". Regardless, it seems like a silly waste of time, whose only purpose is to convince little Jimmy to sign up in the Navy when he turns 18.

I wonder if the film studio reimbursed the Pentagon for the costs?

Glad to see that the SEALS have time for stuff like this. It's not like there is a war on....

In defense of the SEALS, my guess is that they would not want anything to do with this and were probably "ordered to volunteer". Regardless, it seems like a silly waste of time, whose only purpose is to convince little Jimmy to sign up in the Navy when he turns 18.

That's quite the pessimistic take on it. From what I've heard, it started out simply as a series of recruiting films and turned into a full length movie. I find it hard to believe that the SEALS involved were "forced" to do it.

Edited by Darren Roberts

It did take two years to make, rarely anyone is deployed to a combat zone for that long.

I guess airshows are a waste of time.....maybe the Air Force did make a good decision by cutting airshow appearances........ :dontknow:

That's quite the pessimistic take on it. From what I've heard, it started out simply as a series of recruiting films and turned into a full length movie. I find it hard to believe that the SEALS involved were "forced" to do it.

My understanding was that the missions were pretty much close to true as the Pentigon's censors would allow....but weaved into a larger story.

Its still regular training, by your definition any military documentary you have ever seen on PBS/The Military Channel/Discovery/or any other network is guilty of the same crime.

also because the military operates on a fixed yearly budget, the money is "spent" already. so it didn't "cost" the pentagon any significant amount more. Again we have covered this.

SEALs are people too and they will have a bit of time "off" I'm not sure what it is but it used to be 18 Month work ups for 6 month deployments. Rangers do 3 months on, 3 months off. That movie appears to be a camera crew tagging along for regualr type training that they added a plot onto. thats as much as I know other than it looks like it will suck.

covered this a while ago. Allow myself to quote... myself. I wish we could deploy SEALs for eleven years straight but they are (unfortunately) human. The Attrition rate and psychological damage would be something to behold.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

uhhhh.... did you actually SEE THE FILM?

I just actually got home from watching this movie. It is BAD*** I cant stop thinking about it. It is one of my new favorite movies and I will see it again. The acting in the movie is portrayed excelently because they are SEALS not actors. From what ive read most of the shots fired were live fire excercises. I really liked this movie and encourage everyone to go see it. It will give you a new perspective on what our Armed Forces Sacrifice.

unimpressed,I submit my entry:

Warnography (warh-nog-ruh-fee)  

noun

television shows, articles, photographs, etc., created to evoke or satisfy the excessive desire for actions affiliated with armed combat.

Origin:

2012; by adaptation

Related forms

warno, noun

warnographic, adjective

* while I could moan about it glorifying war, creating cardboard cut-out enemies etc, ill take a different approach; the horrible screenplay cheapens the seals into epic levels clichedness while exploiting their real-world reputation of courage and valour in order to make a quick buck on what is a very cheaply made movie.

one would think anyone proud of their servicemen and women would actually find such things highly offensive and would want the full gravity of what they do honoured, not a lazy parody in fantasyland.

Edited by Raymond

uhhhh.... did you actually SEE THE FILM?

No, I'm really not a big fan of sequels and since I saw the original Team America, I'll probably pass on Team America 2 - AoV.

Navy SEALs, F-Yah!

Edited by 11bee

* while I could moan about it glorifying war, creating cardboard cut-out enemies etc, ill take a different approach; the horrible screenplay cheapens the seals into epic levels clichedness while exploiting their real-world reputation of courage and valour in order to make a quick buck on what is a very cheaply made movie.

one would think anyone proud of their servicemen and women would actually find such things highly offensive and would want the full gravity of what they do honoured, not a lazy parody in fantasyland.

That pretty much sums it all up.

unimpressed,I submit my entry:

Warnography (warh-nog-ruh-fee)  

noun

television shows, articles, photographs, etc., created to evoke or satisfy the excessive desire for actions affiliated with armed combat.

Origin:

2012; by adaptation

Related forms

warno, noun

warnographic, adjective

I thought there was another thread for Red Tails on this site......

Lighten up Francis.

I understand, but if they could do it, why not do it.

Pretty original buddy, where have I heard that one before? :)

On another note, whatever happened to the SpecOps guys being "quiet professionals". There was a time when these guys wanted to remain out of sight, now they seem to go out of their way to seek publicity. I believe a former general in the special operations community just made some similar comments about this issue. It seems to be common amongst pretty much all the US special forces units but most prevalent with the SEALs.

When was the last time that British SAS or Israeli Mossad operators starred in a 2-hour feature film?

As far Tomcat's claim that the filming of this movie didn't detract from the SEAL's operational readiness because it was all just "regular training" I find that to be a bit laughable. It takes hours to setup and film a scene in a movie. Do you really think that this is conducive with the normal high-speed training that these guys do? I'm sure those operators were spending hours waiting while the film crews prepared for each shot. "Hey Operator X, you didn't look mean enough in that last shot, let's take it from the top again." "Sorry guys, the lighting was off when you wasted those bad guys, we have to film the scene again. Go hit the buffet line while we set up for a retake". Yeah, that I'm sure it was just regular special forces training.

As far Tomcat's claim that the filming of this movie didn't detract from the SEAL's operational readiness because it was all just "regular training" I find that to be a bit laughable. It takes hours to setup and film a scene in a movie. Do you really think that this is conducive with the normal high-speed training that these guys do? I'm sure those operators were spending hours waiting while the film crews prepared for each shot. "Hey Operator X, you didn't look mean enough in that last shot, let's take it from the top again." "Sorry guys, the lighting was off when you wasted those bad guys, we have to film the scene again. Go hit the buffet line while we set up for a retake". Yeah, that I'm sure it was just regular special forces training.

I agree, Navy SEALs should not be allowed to eat. It hurts readiness. consuming food that turns into energy on long training days is wrong and should be stopped.

1. Hurry up and wait is actually highly realistic training.

2. "Take it from the top again" Is usual because you practice things OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

3. "High speed" doesn't mean you don't do things double and triple checked so there are going to be pauses to make sure everything is set up anyway. Its not like you Parachute, sub Infil/Exfil, helo extract, fast rope, shoot, explosives, beach survey, desert survival, winter train, and dozens of other things that SEALs do all in one day anyway. That stuff get broken up a lot, so don't pretend that just because they had to pause a couple hours (you are usually waiting for the Sub/helo/plane/ship whatever) that it meant they now couldn't do the 100 missions you think SEALs do on a daily basis all in a row. because you don't train like that. Even SEALs have "light days"

4. It was supposed to be a movie by the navy, for the navy and recruiting before it was given to a studio. So the Navy did a lot of the leg work and it was so ordered BY THE NAVY. So don't act all incensed like hollywood has barged in and destroyed the highly adaptable Navy SEALs for two whole months. In other News Navy SEALs get things like "weekend liberty" and even "Leave". They are also allowed to have "families" and go to "school." They may even consume things that are not good for them. It cuts into operational readiness though, so all should be banned. outright.

SEALS are like any other operational organization or athlete. They have heavy days and light days, off seaons, pre seasons and long seasons and its a constant cycle.

If you don't, if you push 100 percent every single day with no rest, you suffer what is called "burn out" -Reduced mental health, injury, morale problems, and even death. SEALs are humans. They are not perfect machines. Even Hell Week has "down time."

But lets just pretend. Lets say "Yes it completely affected their training. It was two months completely and utterly wasted" It was for EIGHT SEALs. the other 2400 are doing just fine thank you very much, and since works ups take a year and a half they can probably bounce back. They are big boys, they will be ok. the Teams lose men FOREVER in combat and training exercises and the rest carry on. Moreover, since this was a NAVY idea, carried out with NAVY cooperation, I bet the NAVY planned ahead and scheduled the movie at the most ideal time for its NAVY SEALs. Madness I know.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Man. It's amazing how every new military themed movie gets torn to shreds, or Monday morning QB'd on here. I understand there are experts here, ok fine...I understand that everyone has an opinion....got it. But what happened to people just enjoying a good action flick? I can barely understand rivet counting on a piece of plastic, especially the ones that bash kits based on a test shot (my favorite, makes me wonder do they enjoy the hobby or bashing) but when some of you crush a movie based on a commercial, become an expert out of thin air...it gets old. Seems like the negative post out number/weigh the positive. Who wouldn't wanna see names taken and butts kicked in a bona fide action flick? I guess this is the reason some folks now would rather be an emo, 127lb vampire vs a meathead brute taking on 80 bad guys and a helicopter....alone.

Edited by Bangem82

It's a good movie that realistically portrays what these outstanding individuals actually can do when they come together as a team. Their trainng is first and puts Spetznatz, Moussad, and 99% of the other special forces to shame. Luckily, our country wants that remaining 1% bad enough to fund it.

SEALS train first rate and the stale acting in this movie was fresh because Hollywood took a merciful round to the hip when approaching. This mobility kill ensured a faithful movie using plausible, probable, and most likely somewhat historical scenerios for our viewing pleasure.

Not just anyone can just reach out and touch Osama bin Laden, but because of a great team like the SEALS and an exceptionally bright and successful Commander In Chief, the world is that much safer.

Regards,

Exhausted

It's a good movie that realistically portrays what these outstanding individuals actually can do when they come together as a team. Their trainng is first and puts Spetznatz, Moussad, and 99% of the other special forces to shame. Luckily, our country wants that remaining 1% bad enough to fund it.

SEALS train first rate and the stale acting in this movie was fresh because Hollywood took a merciful round to the hip when approaching. This mobility kill ensured a faithful movie using plausible, probable, and most likely somewhat historical scenerios for our viewing pleasure.

Not just anyone can just reach out and touch Osama bin Laden, but because of a great team like the SEALS and an exceptionally bright and successful Commander In Chief, the world is that much safer.

Regards,

Exhausted

And that about sums this thread up. Well said and I think 99% of the posters on this one will agree with you wholeheartedly.

Navy SEALs F-Yah baby!