F-8E Crusader VF-194 Red Lightnings

Just a small update. Gun bays are almost done and looking pretty good. I think its about time to start on the LG bays. Not sure how Im going to detail them though. The wash i normally use is not going to come out of all of the nooks and cranny's so Im thinking about experamenting with a new type of wash. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Does anyone know if the F-8E had gloss paint on it. I have seen quite a bit of pictures and alot of them had flat paint on them. Another thing is weather the wings were folded while the wing was in the raised postition. I saw a post about it erlier and there was never any confermation on it though. Anyway here are the gun pods. hope you all like them.

6874367646_55959a7a73_z.jpg

SSPX0100 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

The gun bays look great!! Very nice.

As far as masking, it really depends on the model. Some are easier to mask with the wings on than others. At least that's my experience. Others may have a different way of doing things. You could always post a thread in the tips section on how to mask.

There are two washes that I use. The first is a chalk pastel wash. I use a exacto blade to scrape off the pastels in to a powder then I add a drop of dish washing soap to use as a binder to the powder and apply the mix with a paint brush. I let that sit for about 2 to 5 minutes then remove the excess with a damp paper towl or a wet brush.

The second is an oil wash. But if you're using enamels I wouldn't recommend it.

Ok guys I need a little help here. I have been scouring all of the F-8 pictures and posts and cannot for the like of me find a pic of the guns that I need.I need to know how far if at all the guns stick out of the fuselage sides. Every pic I have seen is from one that has been DeMilitarized and does not show the guns in place. Any help would be appreciated. Also I was wondering how does everyone get those bada@@ exhaust effects from. What colors and techniques do they use.

ok guys heres the Gear bays and under wing assembly almost finished. Forgot a couple of parts. now more detailing and move on to maybe the wings and the tail hook. All of this stuff has to get finished before the two halves get put together, I still have the intake to worry about also FML. lol wow such a big project for a 1/48 jet. I love it though keeps me wondering whats gonna come next. Devil

7027128647_e784535dcb_z.jpg

IMG_0383 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7027128645_dac16f5684_z.jpg

IMG_0382 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7027128635_152d1292b1_z.jpg

IMG_0381 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

I really need input on this thing. if i am doing something wrong please tell me. Josh

Edited by Devilleader501

I have the same Aires set as you, but I passed on opening up all the extra panels.

The gun muzzles are recessed they do not protrude out of the ports.

The under wing bay and main gear wells are basically a drop fit, a little massaging is all thats needed, the cockpit, now thats a different story....

Did you fit your cockpit before painting?? The Aries pit is about the worst fitting set out there, I had to cut out,trim sand file thin about everything to get it to fit,then build up supports to hold everything in place.

Curt

100_6612.jpg

100_6610.jpg

100_6609.jpg

100_5017.jpg

Edited by Netz

Netz Ill be doing the same thing with this one. Its almost unimaginable to get an aftermarket part and have everything line up like its supposed to. i started with the cockpit but the shroud over the guage cluster isnt comming out as good as I hoped.I dove in without realizing that everything is going to have to be filled back in and Fillers are a weakness I have. Im just not any good with them. So far the rest of the model is looking pretty good though. The Hasegawa F-8E is a very nice kit OOB and the detail that comes with it is great but it is a lot of work to get things just right.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys a little bit of an update. I haven't been able to post because I have been busy with work here is some new work I have done with a mock up of what is to come. The only things I have left to work on still is the cockpit and the engine before I close things up. As always any suggestions are always welcome. The Pit will be the most work involved piece on this entire model It is being a PITA. hope you all like it.

6921935752_4126efdc2d_z.jpg

IMG_0445 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7068018165_3a56755a89_z.jpg

IMG_0446 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7068019165_eeeff42ea3_z.jpg

IMG_0447 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

6921938638_5d73cac07d_z.jpg

IMG_0451 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Im about ready to close this one up. I think I have everything in order. Between the origional instructions and the after market Im not sure where I sit. but hope you all like it.

7096434507_67a1db8ca7_z.jpg

IMG_0475 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7096435355_b7d7d83091_z.jpg

IMG_0476 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

this thing is cramped for space but it works.

7096436279_9d50a515c2_z.jpg

IMG_0477 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Im no good at engines so i just wing it. Someone needs to put a sticky on how to paint them properly.

7096437263_36b3bc55f9_z.jpg

IMG_0479 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Almost ready just have to work a seam and im ready to glue. More to come soon.

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys heres a new update. I have the fuselage half way glued together. The reason I say half way is because im going to try a method of painting the intake in a different way. I learned this from a Fine Scale Modeling magazine I had. I am going to use a Gloss Latex paint to fill up the intake and then release it through (hopefully) the rear of the aircraft so it lays down a nice thick layer of paint to cover all of the lines in the intake. If this works then I will start using it on all of my models. Heres a shot of the lines I want to cover up.

7169296252_8db8fdef7d_z.jpg

IMG_0588 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

the rest are all shots of the glued fuselage and a mockup of what the cockpit will look like when finished. hope you all like them.

7169248850_7433db99b2_z.jpg

IMG_0587 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7169247066_a4affa5620_z.jpg

IMG_0583 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7169244016_3492ca6c30_z.jpg

IMG_0575 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

And heres how it came out. Looks good but the air bubbles you see are from me shaking the paint up. I can deal with a couple of paint bubbles over the whole intake having to be sanded, filled sanded, filled again so on so forth. I really like this idea because it can work for so many aircraft its not even funny. Not only that but a small sample of paint for 4 bucks from LOWS or Home Depot can last 10 models if you do it right.

I used a 2oz bottle with a small hole in the top with a cap i bought from Michael's for a dollar to fill this intake up and let the paint flow. The results are pretty good. Im not sure if it was me thinning the paint or shaking the crap out of it to mix it that caused bubbles but im no rocket scientist. Im happy with it though.

7169456816_67631e1358_z.jpg

IMG_0591 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7169455944_206d2022e1_z.jpg

IMG_0590 by Devilleader501, on Flickr