F-8E Crusader VF-194 Red Lightnings

Thank you everyone. Its been a chore and a lot of firsts for me but its coming out great. I will put the first coat of paint on soon. I'm worried about my masking ability but it should look good after I'm done. I need one more coat of Very Gloss latex in the Intake but overall it's turned out pretty good for a first time.

When you guys mask things off how do you do it. Do you place tape over the entire area and then cut along the lines you want to mask or do you cut small pieces like a jigsaw puzzle and place them strategically over where your masking the area off at. Reason why I am asking is because I'm getting ready to mask this thing off and just found out I am limited to the blue stuff you buy at a home improvement store. I can buy the light tan stuff as well but have never really had to tape things off before. With this build I want it to look as good as it can. Any suggestions? Thanks JOSH

OK this idea of running latex paint down the intake is maybe a bad idea unless you take your time and do some research and Plan on what could be a nightmare. Reason why I say is because the buildup from the run off the way I did it is way less than perfect.

I'm just glad i didn't run enamel through it before double checking it. I found a huge build up at the tail and if enamel would have ran down there there would have been huge consequences. I'm sure if they were an F-16 or A-6E intake that you could do this with before putting them on the model it would actually work. Here I experimented and almost lost an F-8E for what I have done. :worship:

I have now got the tail split apart and drying waiting to figure out what to do next. I'm just thankful it was Latex paint and not the Enamel I was originally planning on pouring down there. I also ruined a bunch of my weathering because of the paint running into places I didn't plan on. :bandhead2: If you are going to try this PLEASE do it on a subject that doesn't matter to you or you will suffer the Wrath of the Model Gods. :taunt:

One good thing came out of this though. It can be done with good results just prepare before you do it. I used a semi gloss when I started ans was going to run a High Gloss outdoor latex behind it till I found this problem. Once I get everything correct I will run the high gloss down it and post pictures of my results. Remember people It's Latex and can be peeled off easily. Don't be scared from what I have done because that stuff really covers nicely. JOSH

When you guys mask things off how do you do it. Do you place tape over the entire area and then cut along the lines you want to mask or do you cut small pieces like a jigsaw puzzle and place them strategically over where your masking the area off at. Reason why I am asking is because I'm getting ready to mask this thing off and just found out I am limited to the blue stuff you buy at a home improvement store. I can buy the light tan stuff as well but have never really had to tape things off before. With this build I want it to look as good as it can. Any suggestions? Thanks JOSH

Hi Josh.

What is the blue and tan "stuff" you've mentioned above? Do you mean something like Maskol?

As for masking using tape, i do it this way: "place tape over the entire area and then cut along the lines you want to mask".

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Yannis the masking tape we have here is either Blue for home building or a more tan color that is like an all purpose masking tape. I wish I had the money for Tamiya tape but right now its just not an option. The areas I need to mask are pretty critical and need the tape to stick really good but not pull off paint when I remove it. This is my problem. I appreciate your response and i have done that in the past but I have a huge amount of Photo Etch on this model and dont want to risk ruining it by running a blade over the parts.

Yannis the masking tape we have here is either Blue for home building or a more tan color that is like an all purpose masking tape. I wish I had the money for Tamiya tape but right now its just not an option. The areas I need to mask are pretty critical and need the tape to stick really good but not pull off paint when I remove it. This is my problem. I appreciate your response and i have done that in the past but I have a huge amount of Photo Etch on this model and dont want to risk ruining it by running a blade over the parts.

If you have placed PE parts on a clear part (ie canopy), then you need a tape that is not so strong. Tamiya masking tape is the best i've ever used. I strongly suggest this tape to you and to everyone! I can't talk about the tapes you use because i haven't seen or used them. They maybe suitable for models. :dontknow:

I use blue painters tape and Tamiya tape to mask for painting. I use the jigsaw method. I just lay the tape down until I get it the way I wanted. Just make sure that you burnish the edges down real good so that you don't get any bleed through.

Splurge and get the Tamiya tape, it's actually pretty cheap and it does last along time if used sparingly.

I usually tape off the perimeter of the area I need masked, I assume your masking off your exhaust area, I don't like to cover my painted area with tape so I will use masks or filler of tissue paper taped to the perimeter layout tape. With your exhaust I would paint it in the opposite fashion, I'd tape off the unpainted plastic of the exhaust area, spray your G-Grey and whites, then remove the tape, tape off the painted areas then do your metal work.

Don't use the brown tape you will regret it,it's too aggressive and will possible leave a terrible residue. As mentioned I will take paper and use it like masking paper at a body shop, I'll let only about 1/8 inch of tape touch the model, the field will be covered by paper.

afrpcd01a_repaint_49_Cadillac.jpg

If you are afraid of any bleed through is a quick pass of clear flat/gloss to seal the edge of the tape

Latex is for your house or those who cannot seem to be able to paint the inside of a tube, use Tamiya Flat white and be done with it, that Latex will take weeks to dry, if you need to do any sanding or blending you are going to be in for a wait, a long wait.

But if you feel the need to use this technique then do it before you attach the intake to the fuselage, then as some do add an extension tube out the back so the build up will form on that tube and not the aft end of your intake, the paint will always form at that end transition so you just need to give it some where else to go.

Curt

Curt as far as the latex paint is concerned I think you hit the nail on the head. I had seen that method in a Fine Scale Modeler magazine and wanted to try it to see if it turned out better and I can honestly say I think it would look better with filling the seams and painting like normal. Hind sight is always 20 20 though. Chock it up to a lesson learned.

You tape things off just like I do but the blue tape I use here just doesnt burnish that well. I ordered the tamiya tape and hopefully it will be here soon. I have a buddy that uses that stuff and he swears by it. I learned how to mask things when I was young helping my brother paint cars. He took auto body in high school so it was an added skill i learned early on.

Well I got my tamiya tape and green stuff today. Lesson learned Do not pour latex paint down an intake unless you know what your doing. I just spent the better part of an hour getting all of that stuff out of the inside of the tail so I could continue on. I have almost got it completely glued together so I can start on paint.

Well paint came out good on the first coat, I hope to hell in a few days when i mask and paint the second color the paind doesnt come off with the tape. Heres a couple of pics of the first color. I know it looks dark but its because of the lighting. I think the color falls right in line with the VF-111 Scheme I am going with. I cant wait to weather this thing its going to look amazing. Hope everyone likes it so far. :worship:

7254306518_64ab60579f_z.jpg

IMG_0037 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7254307650_648dc51d4f_z.jpg

IMG_0038 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Edited by Devilleader501

Well I'm out of the paint booth for now. I'm hoping I can get this over spray off of this thing. My idea of doing a soft mask didn't work so I have to see what I can do to fix it. I think it looks good none the less. I also hope when I weather it the colors tone themselves down a bit. The gray is a little darker than I hoped but I'm not going to change it.

7260405424_df1820945b_z.jpg

IMG_0045 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Maybe I should have listened to my helper. She was not happy about me taking so long on taping everything off.

7260406376_4d08f2ef6c_z.jpg

IMG_0046 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7260407468_c16f197450_z.jpg

IMG_0047 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7260408622_b2ff00b5fa_z.jpg

IMG_0048 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

7260409594_77aaf5885e_z.jpg

IMG_0049 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Edited by Devilleader501

Well this is a bummer. I'm going to have to re shoot the gray as it is too dark. I do not see any way of making the colors come together right in order to make the gray come out lighter. So i guess I repaint in a couple of days. I was hoping this color was lighter than it is but I guess i was wrong. Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks JOSH

Im not sure what color it is. I actually mixed the color from other grays and white before I came up with the color. Whats weird is its the exact paint I used for my CH-53E but this time it looks way darker. I already have a new color mixed so I'll retape it off again and just re shoot it I guess.

Ok new color is on and in my eyes looks so much better. The first color was just too dark for the aircraft I am trying to render. That being said the colors are probably only about 3 shades from each other but I was worried about the decals looking right. This is why I changed colors. Im not sure if the color difference will come up in pictures but here it goes.

this is the first color.

7260408622_b2ff00b5fa_z.jpg

IMG_0048 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

And heres what it is now. This is what I was going after in the first place just messed it up on the first go round.

7266963118_826c01eff2_z.jpg

IMG_0053 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Did I do good or did I mess everything up? I wanted to do the VF-111 bird and this is as close as I could come with the colors so it's a done deal unless I can find more paint on the cheap.

Using acrylic paint as washes I was wondering if I should wait to wash until after the Future or should I do it before to be able to seal it in. I have really never built models like this but I am learning on every step. This will be the first model I have ever fully Futured also so I am very curious. Also how does Future shoot straight out of the bottle and should i shoot it thin (light coat) or put a good thick coat down.