What is going on with Heller?

Ok, so I know about the financial difficulties they had a few years back, and what happened when Borden acquired them and placed them with the Airfix/Humbrol group (near bankruptcy for all three). Fortunately, Hornby acquired Airfix and Humbrol and are starting to invest in them. But what about Heller? No mention of them on Hornby's website. Did they get left behind? Bought by someone else? Heller has a company website which features a 2011 catalog(no 2012, however) and what appear to be fresh boxings of most of their range, including the practically impossible to find in the USA 1/72 Concorde. However, except for what appears to be old stock, their presence at American online retailers like SB or Squadron is nil.

Are they really still around? Just not distributing to the USA at this time? That would be pretty stupid if they were doing that.

Edited by DutyCat

It would seem that they were purchased (or at least currently under the administration) by Joustra, a French toy company. I think that thier distribition is pretty limited to Europe, so getting Heller kits is hard. They have been re-releasing kits, most notably the 1/48 scale Super Etendard and Mirage 2000D with updates for operations over Afghanistan and Libya.

Here is Heller's website

From the information that I've seen of Joustra, they do distributing for Hasbro and Milton Bradley in France and the Low Countries, so I doubt that Heller kits are high on thier agenda. You may have better luck ordering them from Hannents than to wait for Joustra to start exporting them to the states.

Well, that 1/72 Concorde ain't there!

And that is what started it... When Heller and Airfix were together, the kit was released in Air France and BA markings. The Heller kit listed in their catalog for 2011 with Air France markings, but does not seem to be available. The BA kit was the Airfix boxing, which is most definitely OOP and as I said, almost impossible to find.

However.....I did find an Airfix BA one last night on ebay. I paid a fortune for it but so far as I can tell from scouring the internet for days, it was the only one for sale online on the entire planet. I did find four other online listings, but they appear to be vaporware. Either sold or on outdated websites with no response to my inquiries.

I am sure there are venders with there as well as individuals who would readily sell them out of their stash for a reasonable price, but I have no way of knowing who they are.

Edited by DutyCat