Monogram 1/72 F-15E Strike Eagle with Eagle Strike decals of 492 Fighter SQ, Lakenheath

I'm thinking of starting these up now since I picked up up a second kit.

So nobody make pylons for the conformal fuel tanks on a 1/72 F-15E?

Edited by Spectre711

And a good start it is! I don't know how they would fit this kit, but Wolfpack just released a Strike Eagle set for the Hasegawa kit. It has the CFT's, pylons, scoops and gear doors.

Edited by Pete

WOW, I know I need glasses but I'm not sure how I'm going to paint this cockpit. Thats a standard size toothpick in the photo also. If the instrument panels were smooth I would have just scaled down a photo and printed it out. Then it would be just cut and paste.

1059.jpg

1060.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

WOW, I know I need glasses but I'm not sure how I'm going to paint this cockpit. Thats a standard size toothpick in the photo also. If the instrument panels were smooth I would have just scaled down a photo and printed it out. Then it would be just cut and paste.

That would be a great technique. To make the panels smooth, just shave off the buttons and dials with your X-Acto blade. The front instrument panel in the kit isn't accurate anyway - it's for a A or early C F-15.

There goes a few hours that I'll never get back. Just spent about 4 hours looking for photos and Photoshoping them to my liking (had to figure out how to use the program while I did the work) and it never dawned on me that it was going to be so small that I'll never really be able to see it. :bandhead2: Worked OK last year in 1/48 scale so I'll have to saved that technique for larger scales then.

Odd turn of events here. I picked up this magnifying lamp and it does help but the kit panels are so fare off and small I'm just going to drybrush them so something is visible. I misplaced the forward panels (front and back) for one kit so I was thinking of going back to the photoshop again. Then at my door was the Airfix F-15E I ordered. In the kit are some pylons I was trying to figure what to do about.

1065.jpg

The decal set included decals for what I just lost so I can use them on some flat styrene.

1067.jpg

The airfix kit also has the LANTIRN pods, Rockeyes and 3 drop tanks.

1068.jpg

I think they just added E parts to an earlier C/D kit but never had one so I'm not 100% positive about this. It does have 2 different seats, nozzles and canopies so I think I'm correct on this. Looks like I can build a F-15C out of the Airfix one for sure. :nanner:

You're correct. They just tossed some parts in the standard F-15D kit, just like every other manufacturer in 1/72. After almost 25 years flying at the frontline, with multiple users, there still is no proper F-15E kit in 1/72 around, oddly enough. Fujimi gave it a shot last year, but that was in some odd scale like 1/83 or something.

Trying to figure out the positioning of the ramps inside the intakes right now. I just can't seem to locate good photographs showing the positions at idle (or taxiing) and at rest shut down. I started a thread in the jet section and received some answers but it is not clear to me what has to be done yet.

1076.jpg

1075.jpg

1077.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been spending more time on the Eagles now than the A-10 but progress is good. Intakes are on, the seats are in and I painted two of the pilots.

1078.jpg

1085.jpg

I should have used a different color tan but we will see what happens with a wash, dry brush and dusting. They have a fresh coat of future on them and so do the canopies.

1083.jpg

And they didn't come out too bad either.

1087.jpg

Edited by Spectre711
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Pete!

I owe that to the many years of using enamels and painting a few old cars. I just wish I could lay down acrylics that smooth on a regular basis.

I didn't get as much done last weekend as I wanted to because my Wife went to Ikea and bought some funature which ment I was assemlying that instead of kits. I did manage to shoot some Future and apply some decals though. Still have a few stencles to go on and have been picking and choosing between the decal sheets to make things work out the best.

1092-1.jpg

1093.jpg

Started on some bombs and missiles.

1005.jpg

Edited by Spectre711
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the worst part is that I went though the trouble of buying the Airfix kit to rob the drop tanks and the pylons for the CFTs and they are not noticeable in the photos. I loaded up the one plane and tilted the intakes but unless I mention it I doubt many would have picked up on that. They still turned out nice considering they are the old Monogram kits.