Non-US Movies About War

Ok, I want movies made about wars that are GOOD. Not the highest grossing, but as a man would call the film, good.

I'll start with the format we'll be using:

Dark Blue World - Czech

Torpedo Bomber - Russia

Stalingrad - Germany

Das Boot - Germany

Alright, keep it coming so I can Netflix it or burn it.

Oooooh you´ve missed the really nice stuff!

All the Finnish movies about the second world war...

Talvisota (Winter War)

Tuntematon sotilas ( The Unknown Soldier)(there are two versions of ythis one ..one from 1955 and one from 1985

Tali-Ihantala

Heck here´s a list!:

http://www.listal.com/list/finnish-war-movies

Conspiracy (the Kenneth Branagh one) Branagh doesn't look remotely like Heydrich but this account of the Wannsee conference is downright superb. It also has a Fi156 in it for geek points if required.

Enemy at the Gates (Jude Law) Excellent Russian sniper movie

Flags of Our Fathers

Man Of War (Max Manus) - gritty resistance movie

Days of Glory (the story of a troop of Algerian soldiers.)

Tumbledown (True-life gritty Falklands drama about Scots Guards officer at war and pretty brutal rehab)

Battle of Britain (still the authorative movie account)

Also big thumbs-up to aforementioned `Das Boot`, `Downfall`, and `Conspiracy`. Must sees!!

Cheers, Ian

Edit- I`d add `Waltzing With Bashir`. I almost let `animation` put me off, but I`m glad that it didn`t.

Very original take on Israelis serving in Lebanon during the occupation, not a fan movie for either side of the conflict.

Edited by Ian Buick

A big second on Talvisota (Winter War). Superbly done. If you really want to spend the rest of the day depressed, that's definitely one to watch. They have some excerpts on YouTube.

I can't remember the title, just that I saw it LONG ago on PBS in the late 1980's. I believe it was an Italian film, in black and white, regarding a mother and her young daughter trying to survive the war in Italy during WW II. Movie looked made in the early-1960's.

Another that I can't find anywhere and haven't seen, but my dad really enjoyed, was Yesterday's Enemy (1959), regarding the Pacific War and a group of British soldiers up against the Japanese in Burma.

A big second on Talvisota (Winter War). Superbly done. If you really want to spend the rest of the day depressed, that's definitely one to watch. They have some excerpts on YouTube.

Heh, I think they succeeded well in showing that war actually isn´t that fun :D

Oh and I thought of a gorgeous french war movie...Indochine.... Dien Bien Phu you know :D

Gents:

Might I recommend "The Bridge". A black and white movie(German?) about a group of Hitler Youth troops who are told to defend a small bridge in the closing days of WW II against American troops. A dark, sobering, anti-war film.

Alvin5182

Life is beautiful is a good movie, sad but good.

I'll backup downfall as being a really good movie!

And add "The last days of sophie scholl"

and "Black book", Awesome freak'n movie!!!!!

Edited by B-17 guy

OK, I'm going to list a few, disregarding their country of origin:

Cross of Iron (this may be Sam Peckinpaugh's masterpiece)

Paths of Glory

Zulu

Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) (about the famous 1914 Christmas truce)

Enemy at the Gates

Operation Crossbow (Hey! V-2 rockets AND Sophia Loren! What's not to like?)

and for a bit of brainless action/adventure, the ORIGINAL "Inglorious Basterds"--NOT the rather disappointing Terantino subtitled gab-fest, but the Italian flick with Bo Swensen et al from about 1970, sometimes shown under the title "GI Bro" or "Secret Mission."

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

most war movies are filmed to prove a point of one kind or another. Das Boot is probably one of the very best ever, and stays fairly neutral. I that Battle Of Britian is a good movie, but it dosn't take a 12 year old kid to see the theme. Thirty Seconds Over Tokoyo is another good one, but it had an agenda; still like the other two they kept most of their opinions to themselves. I liked Saving Private Ryan, and The Band Of Brothers. Looked as if they did a nice job without much of a planned agenda. Vietnam movies in general are a joke, and even the actual film footage is even worse! The Mel Gibson movie is probably the best, but also needed some work. Actually Hamberger Hill is very accurate, but with one major exception! These two flicks alone are a hundred times more accurate than the idiots on The History Channel ever do.

gary

Actually Hamberger Hill is very accurate, but with one major exception!

What was the exception?

These two flicks alone are a hundred times more accurate than the idiots on The History Channel ever do.

Well, DUH, Hamburger Hill and We Were Soldiers didn't feature any ghosts, UFOs, or extra-terrestrials in them, now, did they? :woot.gif:

Ok, I want movies made about wars that are GOOD. Not the highest grossing, but as a man would call the film, good.

I'll start with the format we'll be using:

Dark Blue World - Czech

Torpedo Bomber - Russia

Stalingrad - Germany

Das Boot - Germany

Alright, keep it coming so I can Netflix it or burn it.

Are you talking about movies not involving the US as a main player, not produced by Hollywood, or not taking place in the US?

I have three that don't involve the US nor Hollywood......

The Battle of Algiers......About the Algerian FLN's campaign against the French in Algeria for independence

An Ungentlemanly Act.......About the British actions on the Falkland Islands just before and during the Argentine landings in 1982

Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War)..... Korean prospective on the Korean War from the viewpoint of two brothers in the South Korean Army.

One I'd like to find on home video is "Prisoners of the Sun," also titled "Blood Oath" in its native Australia. It takes place after the war, and is a fictionalized account of the trials of some Japanese POW camp guards by Australians. I taped it off cable years ago, but loaned the tape to somebody and never got it back.

IMDB Page

SN

Edited by Steve N

I just got the mini-series, "Piece of Cake", aired on the BBC a few years ago. It's about a fictional RAF "Hornet" Squadron, flying Spitfires in France in 1939, just after the outbreak of the war. Very good story with excellent flying scenes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What was the exception?

Well, DUH, Hamburger Hill and We Were Soldiers didn't feature any ghosts, UFOs, or extra-terrestrials in them, now, did they? :woot.gif:

PM me and I'll tell you what the error was (some here might want to call it political, but trust me it's not). I will tell you that the folks in the original cast and not the movie thought is was pretty funny!

gary

What was the exception?

what I ment was that they took an actual chain of events and did their best to make it as factual as they could, and also keeping the theme as neutral as possible. I liked the way they brought in the NVA commander without somekind of a slant. He was simply doing his job as best he could like Hal Moore was doing as well. Hamberger Hill looked like somebody had reconned the place before filming. Not perfect of course but very close. I can't say a lot about the events leading upto the assualt on 927, but from what I gather they too are accurate upto a certain point.

gary

:D, Another Aussie movie was Forty Thousand Horseman about the Australian Light Horse in WW1. Yet another was The Odd Angry Shot with Graham Kennedy about some young Aussie "Nashos" in Vietnam. Nashos was the name that National Servicemen gave themselves between 1951 and 1972 when the newly elected Whitlam Federal Government shut down the National Service Scheme and gave the Army instructions to let go, with an honorable discharge, those soldiers who didn't want to remain in the Army. There were also a number of other Aussie movies about war.

:cheers:,

Ross.

'Breaker Morant' is an Australian production and a well done film. It is not an action film, rather it is about the politics of war. I just saw this film for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would also recommend 'No Man's Land' as mentioned by a previous poster. Fairly solid flick that meets the criteria.