Non-US Movies About War

:D, There was another British war movie which for the life of me I can't remember the name of now or even eny of the stars' names but it starts out just after the declaration of war. It's about a British family and what the war does to them. Just after the beginning, a boy about 8 years old asks his father what he'll be doing for the war effort and the reply is "A clerk. I shall be typing for England" Later in the movie this young boy's 16 year old sister falls pregnant to a Canadian soldier who has to go AWL to attend the wedding. Just as he says "I will, God being my helper," the Red Caps turn up to arrest him. They give him a few minutes grace to kiss his bride and walk her down the garden path of the park they are married in and then take him away. From memory she never sees him again (although I saw it 20 years ago and my memory may be sketchy on some of the finer details, I know I have the main storyline correct.)

Can any of our British members fill me in on the name and stars of this movie? TIA.

:cheers:,

Ross.

A german movie that I know is on netflix that is quite good. "Der Rot Baron" (the red baron) told around the personal life of MvR.

I just watched this one last Sunday - I loved it!!

Monday I went looking for Fokker and Albatross kits..... :wub:

• 3 years later...

Admiral: Roaring Currents

In 1597 a Korean Admiral takes the 12 remaining ships of his defeated fleet up against 330 invading Japanese vessels.

Are you sure this is a good movie? The Japanese do not even outnumber the Korean by a factor of 30..Everyone knows that any proper Chinese or Korean war movie must have the Japanese outnumber them by at least 50 times.

;)/>

Regardless of the actual numbers, in all honesty the movie is really well-done and worth watching. You don't even have ships jumping out of the water sailing over bridges or shore outcroppings. :woot.gif:/>

Warning: spoilers

Battle of Myeongnyang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang

Edited by Horrido

I'd like to add Yamato to the list. It's also known by its Japanese title Otoko-tachi no Yamato. It tells the story of a young crew member on the Yamato, from the time he first sets foot on the ship as a young seaman, to the battleship's last mission in Operation Ten-Go. Unlike other Japanese war movies which often have nationalism messages in them, I found this movie to be relatively netural. It's just a good action flick with no political overtones. It acknowledges that a good number of the military brass thought it was a senseless operation, but one which they had to do out of duty.

You can have a preview here:

Edited by White Wolf

Roaring Currents:

Watched it last week. Great!

Saw it on shelf at Wal-Mart at good price. Very well done story-wise and production.

Got the Blu-Ray with extras. The Koreans built replica ships (at least 3).

Looked up the Admiral and battles afterward and the entries were like synopses of the movie---they must have gotten it right.

Actually the Japanese did have a hoard of ships, one of the key elements being their numeric superiority described as 200-350 against 12.

A couple that I recently got on EBay are another "Admiral", Russian, and Torpedonostsy (Torpedo Bombers) -- also Russian.

Admiral has a great CGI battle between a Russian light cruiser and German battle cruiser (WWI) again based on actual events (the whole movie). Torpedo Bomber is about IL-4s defending convoys. The planes look authentic except the wheels and the skis on them look odd but I found photos online of the exact arrangement. There is inflight footage of Il-4s from the period.

I recently watched "My Way" (Mai Wei original title). Interesting WWII story about a Korean guy and a Japanese guy who, long and short of it, Japanese guy starts out fighting for Japan, Korean guy a POW and they both end up fighting for the Russians and Germans ultimately surrendering to the Americans on D-Day in France.

If I recall my history correctly, I do believe the Americans did in fact capture Korean soldiers fighting for Germany at Normandy. In the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" there is a glimpse of some trying to surrender in a ditch but end of getting shot.

not strictly a war movie, but still about war: Waltz with Bashir if you wanted a great animation movie. (about Israel intervention in south Lebanon.) ...with a nice touch of 80's music

Underground, from Emir Kusturica, which is about Yugoslavia civil war, also, not exactly a war movie. nonetheless about "war and people" ...a Must see!

and also The Killing fields, also not a "combat" movie... but War is way more than just combats... (about Cambodian war) ...soundtrack by Mike Oldfield!

Edited by mingwin

:D/>/>, There was another British war movie which for the life of me I can't remember the name of now or even eny of the stars' names but it starts out just after the declaration of war. It's about a British family and what the war does to them. Just after the beginning, a boy about 8 years old asks his father what he'll be doing for the war effort and the reply is "A clerk. I shall be typing for England" Later in the movie this young boy's 16 year old sister falls pregnant to a Canadian soldier who has to go AWL to attend the wedding. Just as he says "I will, God being my helper," the Red Caps turn up to arrest him. They give him a few minutes grace to kiss his bride and walk her down the garden path of the park they are married in and then take him away. From memory she never sees him again (although I saw it 20 years ago and my memory may be sketchy on some of the finer details, I know I have the main storyline correct.)

Can any of our British members fill me in on the name and stars of this movie? TIA.

:cheers:/>/>,

Ross.

Hope and Glory directed by John Boorman. I remember a scene where the school is blitzed (after hours so no kids killed) and the boy says "thank you Adolf!!" When he hears about it from his friend.

Hope and Glory

:cheers:

Darius

Edited by Darius at home

Hope and Glory directed by John Boorman. I remember a scene where the school is blitzed (after hours so no kids killed) and the boy says "thank you Adolf!!" When he hears about it from his friend.

Hope and Glory

:cheers:/>

Darius

Great movie. I love the scene of the Spitfire flying over the houses and the German pilot parachuting into the neighborhood.

"Let's go smash things up!"

Back in the late 1970's, PBS's Masterpiece Theater ran a 13 episode epic titled "Danger UXB". It was basically a story of a young Royal Engineer Lt. whose unitwas given the job of disarming unexploded bombs (UXBs) in London during blitz. A very interesting story.

Back in the late 1970's, PBS's Masterpiece Theater ran a 13 episode epic titled "Danger UXB". It was basically a story of a young Royal Engineer Lt. whose unitwas given the job of disarming unexploded bombs (UXBs) in London during blitz. A very interesting story.

Yeah, I remember that series! Very good story.

Another more recent British made series that I recently finished watching was "A Piece of Cake".

"City of Life and Death" (also known as Nanking! Nanking! or Nanjing! Nanjing!) is an amazing movie about the Japanese invasion of China just prior to WWII, and in particular the Battle of Nanjing. While the movie is Chinese and deals with a battle that is also known as "The Rape of Nanjing", it also focuses on one particular Japanese soldier and how he struggles with his duty and seeing the atrocities his countrymen inflict.

One particularly powerful and scene I will never forget is this...

I forgot all about that one. Great series. Wonder if it's out on Netflicks, I'd love to re-watch it.