Non-US Movies About War

Click on the titles for IMDb pages

So weit die Füße tragen (As far as my feet will carry me)

Movie about a German officer captured at the end of WW2, send to Siberian Gulag and his escape from there

Max Manus: Man of war

About Norwegian saboteurs during WW2

There's also quite some movies filmed in ex Yugoslavia about partisan actions against German and Italian occupying forces

Bitka na Neretvi (Battle on Neretva river)

Valter brani Sarajevo (Valter defends Sarajevo)

Partizanska Eskadrila (Partisan Squadron)

Sutjeska - Richard Burton plays Tito in this one; the most expencive movie made in Yugoslavia

Dolina Miru (Valley of peace aka Seargent Jim in US)

The Dam Busters

The Cruel Sea

The Cockle Shell Heroes

A Bridge Too Far

Reach for the Sky

The Colditz Story

The one that got away

The Wooden Horse

Angels 1-5

Where Eagles Dare

Guns of Navarone

I was Monty's Double

Ice Cold in Alex

Mrs Miniver

Dad's Army!

The man who never was

Sink the Bismark

Edited by HL-10

From Australia (just the ones that I know,) include:

A Town like Alice (2 x versions - with Virginia Mackenna and with Helen Morse),

Kokoda

40,000 Horsemen (already stated) and the remake The Lighthorsemen (already stated)

The Odd Angry Shot (SAS in Vietnam)

The Raid (US rescuing Macarthur's Army in the Philippines - my Dad was an extra in the movie)

Breaker Morant (already stated)

the mini-series The Pacific (Hollywood in Aust?)

Gallipoli (already stated)

mini-series Changi

ANZACs (wooden acting, 'cept Paul Hogan)

Sniper (filmed in the Aust Jungle Warefare Centre, Tully. Tough place)

1915 (made in Aust after ANZACs)

Hundreds from the UK that include:

Appointment with Venus

The Flemish Farm

The Mackenzie Break

Colditz

Zeppelin

Reach for the Sky

serial Foyles War

Bridge on the River Kawi (filmed in Ceylon)

From Japan, Harp Of Burma. There is the original B/W and a later version in color. In Burma, at the end of the war, a Japanese soldier separated from his unit and now hurrying to rejoin them in a POW camp, passes the corpses of Japanese soldiers killed in the retreat. He faces the moral dilemma of either rejoining his unit and going home or listening to the voices of the unburied and staying in Burma to finish the job. Had an American stayed in Viet Nam until he could find and properly bury every last MIA....

There are tons of Russian WWII movies, some really bad but many were good (you have to count in the ideology but it was present in any such movie to certain extent anyway).

My favourite is The mornings are quiet here.

To mention is also a saga Liberation (Osvobozhdenie), actually five movies covering the timeframe from Kursk till Berlin.

From our Slovak movies I would mention Captain Dabac, The Wolfs holes (Vlcie diery) and The broken song (Prerusena piesen).

Jozef

Letters From Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood's companion piece to Flags of our Fathers, the dialog is entirely in Japanese. Arguably the best film on the Pacific War to date.

Agreed. That young Japanese soldier's acting was heart-breaking.

I also think Yamato is a good movie. Not much action (in the Michael Bay/ Steven Spielberg sense) but the human element was very touching.

I'll never forget that last scene from Das Boot. The haunting music + the look on the U-Boat Captain's face.. :crying2:

I've also been particularly motivated by "The One that got away" about that SAS soldier in the first Gulf War.

A german movie that I know is on netflix that is quite good. "Der Rot Baron" (the red baron) told around the personal life of MvR.

I saw it...the CGI wasn't bad, but I thought the rest of the film was absolutely terrible. The character in the movie bears absolutely no resemblance to the real-life Richtofen (in personality or philosophy, that is) and most of the story is complete fiction. The real Richtofen was a stone-cold killer, who told his men not to waste bullets on enemy planes, but to aim for the pilot. The movie portrays him as guilt-ridden and anti-war, who tells his men to try and avoid hitting other pilots, and actually advises the Kaiser to surrender. His little "heart to heart chat" with Brown after both are forced down in "no man's land" is a particularly ridiculous fabrication.

For me, "The Blue Max" remains the "gold standard" for a realistic (albeit fictional) WWI air combat film, despite being made over 40 years ago.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Good topic and great subject for a thread...

Okay NON US movies about war...Lets see ...I have seen:

Genghis Khan: To the Ends of Earth and Sea.This was made in Mongolia and used alome 27,000 extras and 5,000 Mongolian Army Soldiers.

Then there is:

SILSILA{1981}..The movie features IAF aircrafts like {INDIAN AIR FORCE} Gnat's and MiG -21's.This is about the 1971 INDO -PAK WAR.

ANDHA NAAL{1954}...Amovie about an Indian who is a traitor who aids the Japanese bombing of Madras{India} in 1941.

SANGAM{1964}....the setting for this war movie is the 1962 INDO-CHINA conflict, AND it featured IAF aircrafts such as Canberra's and Dakotas.

and BURMA RANI: http://www.indolink.com/tamil/cinema/Memories/98/fna/fna3.htm

Saw them on Uncles DVD player...{none are in English language}

HOLMES :whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

The South Korean movie "JSA" (Joint Security Area) is not a war movie per se; but it is a nice thriller centered around the North-South Korean border told in the "Rashomon" style. Highly recommended.

Oh, man! You're right! JSA was an awesome movie! That last scene with the photograph......gave me goosebumps. Brilliantly taken.

One I'll throw in is "The Beast" about a Soviet tank crew during the war in Afghanistan. Sure it was english language, but I am pretty sure it was NOT hollywood produced (Canada perhaps?) and it was filmed in Israel to boot. Pretty gritty picture of just how bad things could get.

We've got no radio... we are almost out of ammo... dildo here drank our brakes... ;)

Edited by Jay Chladek

One I'll throw in is "The Beast" about a Soviet tank crew during the war in Afghanistan. Sure it was english language, but I am pretty sure it was NOT hollywood produced (Canada perhaps?) and it was filmed in Israel to boot. Pretty gritty picture of just how bad things could get.

Thanks for reminding this: "The Beast" is an excellent, highly underrated war movie! It was a Hollywood production, but it was released at a time when Afghanistan was simply not in the spotlight. I read that the studio considered re-releasing it at the theaters after 9/11, but decided against it.

I highly recommend "The Beast" to everyone: it's an excellent contemporary war movie; and probably still the best tank movie in my book, even after all those years. Plus, it's a rare chance to see what George Dzundza actually looked like before gaining a few pounds.

Speaking of Afghanistan, the Russian move "9th Company" (available on Netflix streaming last time I checked) is very well done, too. Unlike most other Afghanistan movies made elsewhere, the Russians got all the technical details right in this one.

"Galipoli" also gets my vote, too.

Edited by KursadA

A couple that haven't appeared in the thread so far, but are definitely worth watching.

From Israel:

Waltz with Bashir

Beaufort

From Japan:

Grave of the Fireflies - very powerful film, although not a war film in an "action film" sense.

From Russia:

Grozovye vorota - The German dub is called "War Fighter". The English version's called "The Storm Gate", AFAIK. I believe this was a miniseries, but the German version I've seen is a standard length movie.

From Brazil:

Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad)

Tropa de Elite 2 (The Elite Squad 2)

From the UK:

Warriors

From France:

L'Ennemi Intime (Intimate Enemies)

not trying to take the thread in a movie bashing direction, but one i will say not to waste time on is 1911 with jakie chan. It is very disjointed, hard to follow and couldn't seem to decide if it was a history channel special or a proper movie.

:D, Another one I've just thought of is Every Time We Say Goodbye about a pair of young RAF pilots in Palestine during WW2. Rememeber that Palestine back then included all of what today is Palestine and Israel.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Who produced that one? I wonder if Roald Dahl had an involvement with it since he was a Hurricane pilot in the Palestine theater before hidden injuries he sustained in his Gladiator crash in north Africa gave him a medical grounding (those events being documented in his second autobiography "Going Solo").

Not movies, strictly speaking, but:

There was a pretty good mini-series from Australia a few years back called "1915," about ANZACs at Gallipoli.

Also, "Danger UXB," a series from the BBC about bomb disposal squads in London during the Blitz.

And the aforementioned "Foyle's War" is very interesting, the product of some actual research into the period and place (south coast of England around Hastings circa WWII and shortly thereafter). There are a few episodes that feature a (REAL!!!) Spitfire in flight!

Along those lines, another series called "Enemy at the Door" about the German occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII was very interesting, if somewhat depressing at times.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

:D, Not a movie as such but a comedic mini-series, Dad's Army about a British Home Guard unit during WW2. the theme song always made me laugh; "Who do you think you are kiddin' Mr. Hitler, if you think old England's done."

Another feature length movie involving aircraft was 633 Squadron about a Mosquito Squadron. One funny bit in this movie was where the English navigator says to the Aussie pilot after a very close brush with the ground; "You foool, you blooody Australian foool, you'll kill us both." to which the pilot replies very nonchalantly; "Nah mate, she'll be right, just took a couple of coats of paint off the undercarriage doors that's all."

Ross.

:D, Not a movie as such but a comedic mini-series, Dad's Army about a British Home Guard unit during WW2. the theme song always made me laugh; "Who do you think you are kiddin' Mr. Hitler, if you think old England's done."

Another feature length movie involving aircraft was 633 Squadron about a Mosquito Squadron. One funny bit in this movie was where the English navigator says to the Aussie pilot after a very close brush with the ground; "You foool, you blooody Australian foool, you'll kill us both." to which the pilot replies very nonchalantly; "Nah mate, she'll be right, just took a couple of coats of paint off the undercarriage doors that's all."

Ross.

If we're counting tv series, "Allo, Allo" and the salacious "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum!". Both are still gut-busters. :)

G