Do you know how the air intake at the root of the tailfin looks like? I haven´t found really good pics of it.

I'm sure I have a detailed pic of that but, needles to say, I can't find it right now. Will post as soon as I can find it.

I use to open it completely on my kits, the glue 4 small plastic strips inside to simulate the prectecting cover, Eduard piece for it is wrong.

Putty is the theme for tonight :P

I puttied the rear....

IMG_4193.jpg

I puttied the front...

IMG_4194.jpg

I puttied below....

IMG_4195.jpg

Getting fed up with putty I glued a few bits in place

Prolly gonna putty that as well :P I didn´t follow Paolos tip since I thoguth the fit was rather OK and just lil bit of putty would do.

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

You just got to admire the aestetics of the Draken, I don´t think I´ve apreciated it before but the lines of this aircraft bloody well rivals the HUnter!

A blended body and double deltas..sheesh it´s freaking gorgeous!

IMG_4201.jpg

Oh and some putty....

IMG_4203.jpg

Well then, the air intakte at the base of the rear fin needed some work...awaiting further references I decided just to make a hole for now.

IMG_4196.jpg

I marked the spots for 4 holes with an awl and took a 1mm drill to work!

IMG_4197.jpg

And cleaned it up with a hobby knife.

IMG_4198.jpg

Guess you know what I´ll be doing tomorrow then :P

Cheers!

here you are Janne:

just clean up a bit more your hole with a strip of 1000 wet and dry paper and insert a few strips of 2 mm plastic strips, them glue with Tamiya liquid cement.

A million thanx Paolo!

Now I can do something other than just sanding tonight :P

Wow thanks coming along very nicely. Did you get those missiles you wanted?

Nope, haven´t ordered any yet... have to wait for payday if there´s anything left for such luxuries:P

Thee good thing with parental leave is that you get loads of freetime to build but the downside is that you get a wole lot less money coming in every month :(

And tonight:

I´ve sanded and rescribed lost panellines!

IMG_4204.jpg

Made the tailfin air intake, cut small strips of plasticard and stucke them in place :D

IMG_4207.jpg

And trimmed off the excess.

IMG_4220.jpg

Glued on more parts... tailfin (obviously), air intakes and stuff.

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

Then some extra detailing for the cockpit! On the inside of the winscreen there are two bars that are visible from the outside.

I started by drilling a couple of nice holes.

IMG_4214.jpg

I cut two pieces of piano wire to size, stuck them in and painted them black. There should be some gauges attached but I leave that for another build :D

IMG_4216.jpg

Finaly it was time for the clear parts treatment!

I glued them on sprue...

IMG_4217.jpg

Then dipped them in future... not as much for making them clearer but to protect them from CA fumes.

IMG_4219.jpg

That´s all for tonight folks!

Cheers!

I´m back with an update!

The canopy and windscreen are masked.

IMG_4221.jpg

I bet you wondered why I had to glue with CA? Well here´s why, the bars I made from piano wire are straight. To make them conform to the windscreen I have to press down the windscreen on top of the bars and force them to bend and conform to the winscreen.

Only way to make it stick without being catapulted away by the tension created in the pianowire I simply needed a really powerful bond between the airframe and the windscreen...hence the CA-glue!

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

Put on the nose cone as well and masked the pit.

IMG_4224.jpg

Had to mask the pitot tube as well.

IMG_4225.jpg

Heh, nice grip :P

IMG_4226.jpg

ANd primed!

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

The next step is of course preshading but then I´m having a bit of an issue!

You see I have refs of this bird, 35539, from 3 periods of it´s operational life! Wich one to paint?!

#1 freshly painted in Viggen cammo in the early 90´s with yellow air wing numbers.

#2 a bit later in it´s life it has weathered a little bit and it has changed the nose cone, it no longer line up the cammo with the rest of the paint, it still has the yellow wing marks and early divisional marking.

#3 late in it´s operational life, it´s quite weathered, bettering painting here and there and still has the mismatched nosecone, it now has red air wing nubers and new divisional markings on the fin.

Any suggestions? Paolo, wich one did you do?

Cheers!

The preshade is on!

For the belly I preshaded with a dark grey instead of black since it´ll be such a light grey there.

IMG_4229.jpg

For the top side I used blask as usual

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

If you´re wondering about the squiggles appearing all over it´s a just a natural development from my old preshade style where I shaded quite unevenly along the panellines and such.

LIke on this F/A-18F

IMG_2977.jpg

This is to give the surface a texture I experimented on the HArrier and I thought it worked great.

Perhaps some more paint tomorrow :D

Cheers!