Formula 1 2012

So with the new season starting in three weeks, how does everyone feel the season will go? It's currently hard to see past another championship for both Red Bull and Vettel, but who else could join the party? Have Ferrari and McLaren done enough to catch the Red Bulls? Can Mercedes provide Schumacher and Rosberg with a race winner?

So what are your predictions?

World Driver's Championship: Vettel

World Constructor's Championship: McLaren

Surprise of the year: HRT to compete in all the races

Disappointment of the year: Webber failing to win a race

Race Winners: Vettel / Alonso / Hamilton / Button / Rosberg

Super Crazy Shock Result: Kobayashi to score a podium

Race in which the WDC is won: Korea

Vince

Ferrari looks to have butchered their car again. It has been terrible in the first two pracitces and probably won't get much better till mid-season where it will be much too late again.

Lotus may be a factor if they can fix up the front suspension issues they're currently having. They seemed quick before then so we'll see. Mercedes should also take a leap forward and perhaps Schumi will sign on for a few more years.

McLaren is hit or miss. If Hamilton can keep his head on his shoulders he's one of the top 3 fastest drivers in almost any car. If he starts going mental again then it will all be on Button's shoulders again.

I'd like to see Mark Webber win a championship but I don't think the team will give him the focus anymore. Hoping Vettel doesn't walk away with it again but we really won't lnow anything till qualifying March 17th. Eagerly look forward to that date.

Biggest storyline this season will be Caterham. I see them fighting for 7th in the final standings which is a hell of an improvement. They're by far the best new team. HRT and Marrusia just take up space.

World Driver's Championship: Close between Vettel, Hamilton/Button, and possibly Schumi/Rosberg too early to tell with just the practice results.

World Constructor's Championship: Red Bull

Surprise of the year: Caterham

Disappointment of the year: Hamilton going mental or Kimmi

Race Winners: There'll be 8 different race winners

Super Crazy Shock Result: Caterham breaks into Q3 in 3 races

Race in which the WDC is won: Final 2 races.

I could definately see Kobayashi getting a podium this year. He drove like he was on a mission to prove himself in a few of the races last year.

But their cars suck.

Having the fastest time in the one day of preseason testing doesn't prove anything.

I'm more interested to see if Mercedes or Lotus can compete on a race to race basis with RB McLaren and Ferrari.

I'd also almost bet that Caterham beats out Sauber and possibly Williams this year and falls just shy of Torro Rosso.

I wish it would start already I can't wait.

I live for F1 on the weekends.

I'd like to see a close title battle, but somehow I don't think we're going to get it. RB just seems to be two steps ahead of everyone else at the moment. It'll be interesting to watch the McLaren team battle - Button pretty much had the measure of Hamilton last year. Will Lewis move at the end of 2012 if he's beaten by Jenson again? It's a shame Kubica isn't around, but I fear that we won't see him race in F1 again.

Vince

I would love to see Webber get a championship but to be honest I doubt this season will be much different to last years. However I am looking foreword to next years season when they go back to turbo V6 power. That should be enough to shake things up for at least 1 season. Heck I might even make the trip to Melbourne again.

I would love to see Webber get a championship but to be honest I doubt this season will be much different to last years. However I am looking foreword to next years season when they go back to turbo V6 power. That should be enough to shake things up for at least 1 season. Heck I might even make the trip to Melbourne again.

Is it next year or did they push that to 2014?

I keep getting confused since they keep making rules then changing them.

I look forward to next season as I've convinced SWMBO that we're going to the NJ/NYC race in June. If they cancel it I'll be crushed. Texas is just too far away.

Yep its 2013 mate. You get to go to New York for F1! You lucky bugger! That race is gonna be just about the next best thing to going to Monaco. Im sure the missus will love it too mate. Enjoy :)

Yep its 2013 mate. You get to go to New York for F1! You lucky bugger! That race is gonna be just about the next best thing to going to Monaco. Im sure the missus will love it too mate. Enjoy :)

She loves NYC. I love F1. When I found out they would be together I had no problem convincing her.

lol

Hopefully the cars will still sound like they do now. Will miss that if they don't. At least they went away from turbo 4s that would have been silly.

• 3 weeks later...

Was watching live practice on Speed.com last night ON MY PHONE! Turned it on and just happened to see Felipe Massa put his wheels in the grass and snap turn the Ferarri into the gravel. That poor basturd is going to be out of a job soon.

About to go watch the recorded practice now!

I think the rain has clouded the picture somewhat from day 1, if you'll pardon the pun. Qualifying should be interesting, although the Red Bulls look in trouble I think they'll be at the sharp end of the grid.

Vince

Yeah after 2 practice sessions it's hard to judge. How many times last year would a Mercedes be at the top of a practice session only to qualify no better than 6th? I do think one of the McLarens will be on the front row. Possibly with the Red Bull. But I think it will be Webber possibly taking the pole.

Vettel seemed to be really fighting the car today.

Will be watching the practice again at 11pm on my phone tonight.

If I were to guess right now I'd have

Webber - Button/Hamilton really to close to call

then Vettel and the other McLaren (top 4 within .350 of each other)

Schumi and Alonso

Kimi and Rosberg

Maldonado and Massa

in the top ten

We'll see tomorrow morning if I'm even close.

I gotta make my GP challenge pics and have no idea yet

Edited by Bigasshammm

Just sat down and watched Friday practice off the DVR. Aesthetically, the McLarens look awesome! Everything else looks terrible, although I think the Mercedes looks the worst. I'm really hoping Button does well this year for McLaren, and I'm also looking forward to seeing what Kimi can do for Lotus.

Oh yeah, how about the very end of P2. Kobayashi is NUTS!! I thought for certain he was going into the wall.

Well, what an interesting race. McLaren look good, Red Bull seemed to find some pace but Ferrari look awful. Mercedes flattered to decieve once again, and it's a shame that Maldonardo stuffed it into the wall on the last lap. Still I had £10 on button at 7/1 so I'm happy!

Vince

I pegged button to win. No sure why they have the pole car start on the outside a Melbourne. Definite advantage to the inside car. Especially when you're teammates. Lewis just dint seem to be able to keep up afterwards which surprises me.

Good day for McLaren though I'm happy.

Well the safety car was good for Vettel, but hardly surprising that Hamilton looked like he'd been sucking lemons on the podium! Brilliant drive by Button, he's turned himself into the real deal over the last couple of years by surrounding himself with good vibes.

peebeep

Hamilton's demeanor in that post race interview looked like he didn't learn a thing in the off season. Not a bad race in the slightest and he looked like he was penalized and picked on. Unless there's something going on at McLaren we don't know about where Button is getting all the support there's no reason for him to act that way. I don't know who would want him next year either. Ferrari sure aren't going to put him with Alonso again and Red Bull I don't think will want the clash with Vettel. After that there's no other teams he'd be competitive unless he replaced Schumacher but Mercedes may not want him after dealing with him at McLaren.

Lotus is looking pretty good. Look how much Raikkonen was able to make up, and if Grosjean hadn't gotten screwed over at the beginning of the race, I think he would have done well. I'm really excited to see how they are going to do this year.

My fear with Lotus is they'll be one of those teams that looks good at the start of the year, but trails off by mid-season and is fighting to stay in Q2 by the end. Williams, BMW, Renault and Sauber have all been victims of 'the slide' in the past.

Vince

Edited by vince14

My fear with Lotus is they'll be one of those teams that looks good at the start of the year, but trails off by mid-season and is fighting to stay in Q2 by the end. Williams, BMW, Renault and Sauber have all been victims of 'the slide' in the past.

Vince

Which is exactly what happened to them last year. They got a podium in Melbourne last year and by the end they were lucky to score points. They don't have the capital I think to compete throughout the season in making new parts and changes to the cars.

Ferrari once again find a way to out pace their qualifying which is amazing. They're just unable to put a hot lap down.

I was surprised by Rosberg's inability when Schumacher seemed to be having no trouble. But then he may also have had a tranny issue that was never brought to light. Or after Schumacher's car went they dialed back Rosberg's to salvage points.

I need to start DVRing the entire days Speed schedule. I hate these races that get delayed and then I don't see the end. Beyond shocked Ferrari won a race. Their saving grace was the rain. What the hell were McLaren doing in the pit? Between Hamilton's 3 or 4 stops he was in there like a full minute. That's terrible.