Formula 1 2012

• 3 weeks later...

Well all told for as much as I love Monaco that was a terrible race. I don't think I saw one legit pass the entire race. Really wish it would have just started pouring to mix things up.

They may have to have special regs for Monaco or something. One stop procession line races are just not fun.

Indy was ok. I mostly listened on radio as I was doin yard n house work.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see them mix up the podium with some different faces.I saw Wind Tunnel later that night and they were looking for champ predictions and I thought to myself how impatient could you be? Their not even half way thru the season and with this many winners, how can you predict anything?I still like Vettel but it would be cool to see Kimi do good.

I think Kimi is going to be similar to Schumacher. He's going to take at least a season or two to really get back into it. Plus there's talk he's already at words with the team and the organization so who knows if he'll even stick around. Basically the same situation where Grosjean is outperforming him almost every weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy day!

Vettel, Hamilton - go out, Shumi is third.

Who sayd that is Barselona is boring rase without possibilty of overtaking - Bernard Charles Ecclestone was wrong.

I was literally on edge of seat for the last 30 laps. When Hamilton bought it I jumped up cussing and threw my hat across the room.

I don't like Alonso one bit but that was pretty impressive. Can we please STOP hearin about the awful Ferrari? I'm sick of it every race. It's obviously not that terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news guys - Marussia F1 test driver Maria de Villota has crashed whilst straight-line testing at Duxford. Sounds like her car unexpectedly accelerated into the team's truck when she was in the pitlane. BBC reporter thinks that her helmet took the brunt of the impact (maybe 20-30 mph, he reckons) and she's in hospital with life-threatening injuries. Hope she pulls through.

Vince

Yea don't read comments on any of the news stories. Wow.

In other news Vodafone is considering pulling out of sponsorship and McLaren seems to have something lined up. I've read rumors that they could be formin a partnership with cocacola. Perhaps the red and white livery will be back!

It's just like 2000 all over again. It took some people 4-6 hours to get into the circuit today, and a lot had missed the F1 action (if you can call it that) as a result. The traffic really is horrendous, and the predicted weather for the weekend is no better - currently forecasting heavy showers during qualifying, and thunderstorms for the race itself...

Vince

It's just like 2000 all over again. It took some people 4-6 hours to get into the circuit today, and a lot had missed the F1 action (if you can call it that) as a result. The traffic really is horrendous, and the predicted weather for the weekend is no better - currently forecasting heavy showers during qualifying, and thunderstorms for the race itself...

Vince

And it's on FOX again which means we'll probably miss the entire race if it's delayed.

HAAAAATTTTTTEEEEE Fox's coverage.

I do enjoy watching them run in the rain though. Just hope it's not raining so bad that they can't run.

Interesting race. Not as exciting as the last few but good none the less. I'd like to see Webber win a championship. I wish they'd change the rule and allow setups to be changed for the race or qualifying based on the weather. If it's raining during qualifying but not during the race you shouldn't have to have your setup frozen from when it was raining and vice versa. Would make for a more interesting race I think if everyone was setup a little more equal.

What happened to Button? Idk if he can say it's the tires because he did so well on them last year.

Once again the "horrible" Ferrari dominated most of the race.

They have beaten that story to death and I wish they'd move on.

Button blows as hot and cold as his tyres. To be fair he did well to make up six places off the grid, whereas Hamilton qualified eighth and finished eighth. Disappointing for McLaren and both drivers and surprising that they are so far off the pace. Webber comes over as a straightforward and likeable bloke, he would be a well deserving champion.

peebeep

Button blows as hot and cold as his tyres. To be fair he did well to make up six places off the grid, whereas Hamilton qualified eighth and finished eighth. Disappointing for McLaren and both drivers and surprising that they are so far off the pace. Webber comes over as a straightforward and likeable bloke, he would be a well deserving champion.

peebeep

Not sure on Button since he qualified so bad to begin with but I'm pretty sure Hamilton got stuck by the setup restrictions. All week long it was supposed to be a wet race so I'm betting they setup accordingly and then boom come Sunday not a drop of rain. If he would have pushed harder he probably would have shredded his tires because they had too much downforce on the car. Which is why I think they need to change the rule. Keep the rule in place for dry to dry conditions but if it's between wet and dry you should be able to make changes.

Likewise the Lotus cars didn't qualy that well because they probably had less downforce setup and then were blisteringly fast in the race. Same goes for the Ferrari although they did qualify well and race well I think their car generally has more mechanical grip than the other cars which is why it's faster in somewhat slower conditions.

Either way it's been a good season with butt ugly cars.

All week long it was supposed to be a wet race so I'm betting they setup accordingly and then boom come Sunday not a drop of rain.

So either McLaren made a wrong call and the other teams were running less downforce, or there is something else making the McLaren less competitive? Everybody was in the same boat (pardon the pun) with regard to setup for the race. Hamilton said the other day that they'd added a bunch of upgrades but weren't able to test everything fully in practice because of the weather.

Also:

"We are a long way away," Hamilton admitted, when comparing his McLaren with Mark Webber's winning Red Bull and Alonso's Ferrari. "We are still in the fight, but unless we find a lot of time, it's going to be hard to stay in it."

Button started 16th after lacking grip in qualifying, and struggled throughout.

"It's not just the Red Bulls and the Ferraris that are quicker than us, a lot of cars are," he said. "Our car doesn't feel too bad, but everyone else's must feel really good because they're a lot faster than us. I was racing the Williams and the Sauber, and you see areas where they're able to put the car or make mistakes and get away with it. I don't understand how they're able to do that.

"The Sauber is quicker in high-speed corners than us, the Williams is quicker in low-speed corners. It's tricky. We don't seem to be exceptionally strong anywhere at the moment, and we thought we would be here. It's a high-speed circuit and we thought that was one of our strengths."

Hamilton echoed his team-mate's sentiments. "My car actually felt awesome, but it just wasn't quick," he said.

peebeep

Everyone's in the same boat yes but they're all free to take whatever setup gambles they want. Some could have setup for a full wet race and others could have setup for hopefully dry conditions which would hurt their qualifying setups. Hard to say the McLaren pace has been slow when they've been near the front almost every race. Hamilton has at least. And in all the practices and whatnot he was one of the fastest cars as well. I'm not sure what happened in Q3 since I forgot to add time to the DVR so I never got to see it. But up to that point in the wet he seemed fairly competitive.

They were not sure about their upgrades but Idk how much you can take from that because the weekend was so horrid that they really have no idea. If it's dry in Germany then we'll really know something in two weeks.

So jealous.

That picture of Lewis is my new desktop if you don't mind!

Awesome shot. Was that after the race is that why he's waving?

Feel free to use it for your desktop, I certainly don't mind!

The pic was taken on the slowing down lap - I think he was just waving to the crowd to thank them for their support after what was a pretty horrendous weekend for the fans. He did a doughnut further around the lap as well.

Vince

Feel free to use it for your desktop, I certainly don't mind!

The pic was taken on the slowing down lap - I think he was just waving to the crowd to thank them for their support after what was a pretty horrendous weekend for the fans. He did a doughnut further around the lap as well.

Vince

Yeah that was what I figured. Any album with more pics?