F-15A 75-0053 Bitburg Tiger Meet Revell 1/144

This is a sorta review and something that I saw I could make for this Group Build.

After seeing the wonderful F-15SG versions on todays ARC front page.. I don't think much of the old Revell mold... was it a Crown one?

The newer F-15E is ever so much nicer. Check out a quick comparison of the tails. Golly.

f15ac.jpg

a really plain underside...

f15ab.jpg

Notice plenty of depth in the wells..

f15aa.jpg

The paint colours . I used Humbrol 127 and Model Master 1741.. and it is a really subtle effect. Too subtle perhaps? The driving part is Humbrol 53 and MM Aluminium (don't recall the number :P ) and everything was brushed. Oh yeah.. Did you notice the 'fake cockpit'? I winged it as it is a completely flat area.

Ok.. This is an OOB build... and boy were things not lining up.

I did thin down the intakes a bit, but the front body to the main body was a horrid mess... it really would require a complete re-contouring of both sides to make the match. The tails are massively oversized but the decals do fit pretty well my first thought that was that the decals were oversized (and compared to what they should be.. they are )

f15ad.jpg

f15ae.jpg

A wingmate from the Colourful Acrobatic Build

f15af.jpg

A couple of lurkers :)

I dunno what it is.. the last two of Revell builds have had something wrong. Actually.. a few of them

The hornet had tails incorrectly numbered.. and even the NEW F15E tails are showing wrong. (as well as the intake housings - they are reversed..as noted by.. John King was it?) I lost the canopy to my Hawker Hunter (any one got a a spare 1/144 Revell hunter canopy? preeease) The markings for the Rafale at the rear are incorrectly called .. the French 'target' should be swapped with Marine in the instructions. The instructions (paint plan) shows inner-wing pylons carrying 4 'Winders each. Not showing in the box. The AIM7s included appear to have you just dollop them down almost whereever you care to (Yes, I do see the slight panel '1/2 triangles' for the fins.. but still) At least I nailed the colours for the F18D and Rafale M.

Decals. Well, they are not as nice as currently they are and don't really respond well (at first) to Microsol or Klear. There is an inconsistency of the detail to these decals too. Ah well.

It would pay to add just a hint of weight to the front as this kit is so close to being a tail-sitter it is not funny.

All in all I liked it for the practice for doing the Revell F-15E to see what errors I would possibly make.

If you were to spend YOUR money on F15s in 1/144 scale, get the F15E (new) and probably the old Academy (to make an A or C model) just not this one. :)

Finished

Edited by Wege

It was fast.. that seam is not a seam but a canyon

The shaping does not flow together..

How to explain.. it would require some major surgery/putty at that point.. OR a complete reshaping of the entire rear spine area to match the front 'spine' -the radii do not match and the slopes are very different.

Most of my builds are more to highlight issues where other (and much better)modellers than myself can see the pitfalls and then take steps around them.

My main goal/focus was seeing where and what I needed to do with the 'spray' for the dark/light grey along the wings.

I really would not get this model again... but it did what it did.. and that was to have a go at colour blending :)

Since building this kit, I note that the wheel legs (rear) should not be straight up/down but angled ever so slightly out (with the wheels to match) so that I consider is more stuff learnt (towards the F15E)