hi, i am getting 2 Canadian CF-18's i want to paint one the usual Canadian paint scheme (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gkkx2YUsoIM/TYK57U-p2II/AAAAAAAAAhc/lflag-ONnyY/s1600/cf-18-g.jpg),and the other one this (http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/3/1/2/2000213.jpg) paint scheme does anyone know the name of the colors?

Edited by Kamp-Panzer

Here is a review of the LEM decal sets.

decal review

the last couple of paragraphs echo what Phantom has mentioned already.

I think the tiger meet special scheme is awesome.

But I must point out that LEM decals are not the scheme that Kamp-Panzer is looking for. The LEM scheme is for the 1992 scheme the one that is referenced in his post is the 1991 scheme..... Different birds and different schemes. Right now CanMilAir is the only supplier of the 1991 scheme. It is easy to do on your own if you have Symmetrical era markings and some patience in masking your model. here is the link to the scheme at CanMilAir Decal sheet part #1Decal Sheet Part 2

If you need any reference or clarity I can help, PM me.

:cheers:

Emil

But I must point out that LEM decals are not the scheme that Kamp-Panzer is looking for. The LEM scheme is for the 1992 scheme the one that is referenced in his post is the 1991 scheme..... Different birds and different schemes. Right now CanMilAir is the only supplier of the 1991 scheme. It is easy to do on your own if you have Symmetrical era markings and some patience in masking your model. here is the link to the scheme at CanMilAir Decal sheet part #1Decal Sheet Part 2

Emil

Is that set still available? It will be perfect for doing my 769 tiger along with my 769 Lybia jet.

-Denis

Edited by EX_Birdgunner

Emil

Um,i cant see the difference between what Av8fan showed me and what you showed me, except for a couple markings. and i like the ones Av8fan showed me more. and Canmilair is more expensive than LEM i don't see why it should.

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/images/CF-18_LE-Decals_48-037a.gif

Edited by Kamp-Panzer

Um,i cant see the difference between what Av8fan showed me and what you showed me, except for a couple markings. and i like the ones Av8fan showed me more. and Canmilair is more expensive than LEM i don't see why it should.

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/images/CF-18_LE-Decals_48-037a.gif

There is a difference between the 91 and 92 schemes. Envar was just pointing out that you posted an image of the 91 scheme and stated you want to model that one. Av8fan posted the link to the 92 scheme.

The differences on the 91 and 92 scheme is the 91 scheme was painted over the existing paint on the CF-18 and all the early symetrical markings were just masked around.

You are correct, the 92 scheme from LED is cheaper as well as being a more complete decal sheet (all markings and Tiger striping is included). As well, the 92 scheme is one solid color (not two tone) and it has the hidden nude lady on the tail.

There is a difference between the 91 and 92 schemes. Envar was just pointing out that you posted an image of the 91 scheme and stated you want to model that one. Av8fan posted the link to the 92 scheme.

The differences on the 91 and 92 scheme is the 91 scheme was painted over the existing paint on the CF-18 and all the early symetrical markings were just masked around.

You are correct, the 92 scheme from LED is cheaper as well as being a more complete decal sheet (all markings and Tiger striping is included). As well, the 92 scheme is one solid color (not two tone) and it has the hidden nude lady on the tail.

Oh, now i see,(sorry im kind of new to modeling) so are you saying that if i want to do the Tiger Meet the 91 and 92 are for different variants?

Here is a review of the LEM decal sets.

decal review

the last couple of paragraphs echo what Phantom has mentioned already.

I think the tiger meet special scheme is awesome.

Thanks for the link, the LEM decals are really nice,I may order from them. do you know if they have the markings for the CAF CF-18 188712 416 Squadron 60 Years. (http://www.lemdecal.com/Images/Photos/48.43%20photos/48.43%20photo%205.jpg)

Edited by Kamp-Panzer

Oh, now i see,(sorry im kind of new to modeling) so are you saying that if i want to do the Tiger Meet the 91 and 92 are for different variants?

No, nothing changed on the jets, they are both A models with the same exterior details. The nice thing about the 92 jet is the jet was one solid color.

The guys got in a lot of trouble for putting the nude sillouette on the tail, they didn't tell the CO they were doing it. But that is at least the story I was told. I didn't serve with a single fighter pilot who would have been offended.

No, nothing changed on the jets, they are both A models with the same exterior details. The nice thing about the 92 jet is the jet was one solid color.

The guys got in a lot of trouble for putting the nude sillouette on the tail, they didn't tell the CO they were doing it. But that is at least the story I was told. I didn't serve with a single fighter pilot who would have been offended.

ok, thanks for the help, and the link.

Actually you can do it cheaper yet and mask the stripes for the '91 scheme. Scooby is right same Model CF-18 just different airframes for each scheme.

Here is mine with the stripes masked...

My Tiger in 1/72nd

Emil

oh thanks, and amazing job on your hornet.you painted the whole thing one color and then put on decals right? and what did you use for the Greece under the plane? what did you paint the the after burners and engine?

oh thanks, and amazing job on your hornet.you painted the whole thing one color and then put on decals right? and what did you use for the Greece under the plane? what did you paint the the after burners and engine?

I painted the hornet stock CF-18 which is FS35237 for the top,FS36375 for the bottom and FS36118 for the False Canopy (tiger stripes are FS36118 also).

At the time there were no decal sets for 188769 which was the 1991 scheme so I used the arrow graphics sheet for symmetrical markings (CANADA marks) and I have a diagram of the stripes of that aircraft which is from a now OOP decal sheet Signiagraph Edgeless Decals. If you need info just PM me and I can help you out.

For the oil grime stains I dry brushed oil paints Black and Raw Umber. Now days you can get the Tamiya powders which make things easy....

For the exhaust I painted the nozzles Metallic exhaust colour then went over them with the dry brush using the oil paints.

Now the other alternative would be CF-18 188764 which is the solid colour with tiger stripes depicted on the Leading Edge Sheet.

Both birds were very 'Cool' looking and the mistake is often made when the topic comes up on the original 1991 scheme. Scooby is right not very many people would be offended by the naked silhouette on the tail.

Just a side bar note on that build of mine.... I have since replaced the kit seat with a resin one and I have covered the intakes and exhausts with FOD covers.... Oh and the canopy is in the open position.

Emil

Edited by Emvar