Holy cow... Aviation Workshop goes down

Yes, I know everyone at Britmodeller is trying to sound upbeat and wants to support TAWS,

Vince

Not so if you read the threads.

I for one would offer support to those trying to run the business if I was sure none of my money was going to pack back the fraud at the moment.There needs to be a lot more clarity on the issue about whos running the business at the moment and where the money is going?

If/when the business is sold as it surely will be then I support the new company.

Julien

I for one would offer support to those trying to run the business if I was sure none of my money was going to pack back the fraud at the moment.

If you want the company to survive you need to support it, regardless of where the money goes and as I understand it any creditor could claim against the company for money, for whatever reason. If modellers stop trading with it, then it will surely fold. Looking at it another way, the only way Madgwick's family and business partners/employees can honourably settle up with his former employer is by realising any assets available to them. I don't have any particular axe to grind in favour of TAW, I've only ever bought a couple of their products and Madgwick's behaviour I personally find appalling, something that has reflected badly on the wider modelling community.

peebeep

There's nothing to suggest that those administering the company affairs are anything less than honourable and law-abiding people.

peebeep

I agree, but there are two big hurdles they need to overcome in a very short space of time;

1) If Gary funded the business with the stolen money (and only an audit of his and TAWS accounts would settle that matter) then TAWS could be subject to the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. A court could order the business to be seized and it's assets sold off in order to repay the victims of the crime.

2) TAWS is also currently subject to a 'Striking Off' order from Companies House - caused by the failure to provide accounts for the past two years and because the named Director has been jailed. If that's not resolved, then the company is dissolved and any assets become 'bona vacantia' (literally “vacant goodsâ€Â) and become property of the Crown because it does not have a legal owner. The company’s bank account will be frozen and any credit balance in the account will be passed to the Crown.

Hopefully the remaining employees have the services of a good lawyer, accountant and auditor who can review the business and resolve any outstanding legal issues and a new owner can be found. If they can't resolve the issues, or a buyer can't be found, then sadly it will be the end of TAWS as we currently know it.

Vince

But that one man was the Managing Director and he has been found guilty. I'm not sure on the staffing set up within TAWS but these other members you are on about, what position do they hold within the company are they partners as there is no reference to anyone else on the website.

You're missing the point; the fraud was perpetrated by Gary as a private individual, working as a private individual for a totally separate company which has nothing to do with the model world. Unless you have evidence that the other members of TAW knew of the fraud, and were parties to it (which seems unlikely, since only one person was prosecuted,) they remain presumed to be innocent. If their hands are clean, and if Gary pays off the debt, to the satisfaction of the company he (and only he) defrauded, there is no reason why the remaining staff cannot carry on the business.

You're missing the point; the fraud was perpetrated by Gary as a private individual, working as a private individual for a totally separate company which has nothing to do with the model world. Unless you have evidence that the other members of TAW knew of the fraud, and were parties to it (which seems unlikely, since only one person was prosecuted,) they remain presumed to be innocent. If their hands are clean, and if Gary pays off the debt, to the satisfaction of the company he (and only he) defrauded, there is no reason why the remaining staff cannot carry on the business.

No you're missing the point, Gary the "Managing Director" funded "his" business with stolen money, yes he did act alone(there is no evidence to suggest otherwise)and yes the money came from another totally separate company but it was still stolen and it still went into a company that as far as I can see he was the sole owner, so by law TAWS can be struck off . There would be nothing stopping someone else taking over the stock and reopening under a different name.

These other members of TAWS you keep referring to are they partners of the business and registered as such or normal members of staff?

If you want the company to survive you need to support it, regardless of where the money goes

In that case I hope it shuts, yes people will lose their jobs over it but why should us modellers help pay for a crime they had nothing to do with.

Madgwick's behaviour I personally find appalling, something that has reflected badly on the wider modelling community.

I can't see how you come about that thought the only people that has been Blackened by his actions are himself and his family, however your statement at the top does reflect badly on the modelling community if you think it's ok for us modellers to continue trading with a company that has been made on stolen money and basically help Madgwick to pay off what he stole and what he alone enjoyed the benefits from.

He has made his bed now he can lie on it.

why should us modellers help pay for a crime they had nothing to do with.

I never said anybody had to do that, it's everybody's personal decision isn't it? There has been widespread dismay across the boards that TAW might go under, boycotting is a sure fire way to guarantee they go under and it won't help McBain's get their money back. Personally I don't give a rat's about TAW (although those left carrying the can have my sympathy), there's plenty of other fish in the sea and as is often the case somebody else may well step in and fill the void left by TAW if it folds.

peebeep

Seems to be quite a lot of excitement about whether this fraudulent activity funded The Aviation Workshop. So far, from what I can ascertain, this assumption is based on a newspaper article and no more than that. We all know how newspapers will 'twist' stories to provide a slightly more interesting angle and this could well be the case. We may never know the truth and, in the meantime, should really refrain from acting as 'armchair judges or speculators'. The remaining Aviation Workshop Team (whoever they may be) now appear to be working towards reducing stock and recent anecdotal evidence would also suggest that it's pretty much business as usual, as far as turnarounds are concerned. I very much doubt that funds accrued are being channeled for use by the original perpetrator of the fraudulent crime. He is behind bars and I suspect any cash is being used to pay off the inevitable creditors and bills that normally accompany the sudden 'change of status' of a company.....but, I agree, it may be prudent for the current 'trustees' to provide a bit more clarity so we can truly buy with confidence and help support them with their unenviable task.

Gents, if you think that buying Aviation Workshop goods will go towards GM paying off his fine and compensation, and you think that's wrong, or somehow amounts to the modeller being penalised with him, consider this: what else is he supposed to pay with? Or, if you prefer, if he's allowed no source of funds, how will the people he's wronged be compensated? It's all very well reacting angrily and being righteous and everything, but once you've got it off your chest, is it actually practical? (Although the much more likely course is that he'll have to flog the company or the stock. If nothing else, he'll be barred from owning it.)

And this is before you even get into why the innocent parties involved in the company ought to be punished with him. That really is overdoing it just a little. "So they lose their jobs" ... that's easy for you to say so casually.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm.....just logged into the Aviation workshop, and got this kind message:

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded"

"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

-does that make it offical ?

Seems a lot of people are jumping to conclusions..

Their website is still working (it was 3 minutes ago).

Nothing about quitting/selling the shop/anyhthing else on the websoite.

Why not see what happens in these coming days, before we make a mad dash for the decals??

Harald

I placed a pretty good sized order with them on March 11th before I heard about this mess. The order arrived yesterday, taking only ten days from placing the order to delivery from the UK to the US. They not only refunded money for one item that wasn't in stock, but they threw in two complete decal sets for free to make up for it.

This has always been a great company, not only with their range of unique items, but also with their customer service. Personally, I hope they manage to ride this out and carry on with their business of supplying us with their products. They will have my support and continued patronage if they survive.