All,

Thanks to the mods for authorizing my next project in this group build. The plan is to construct Tamiya's F4F-4 into a late 1942 Henderson Field-based Wildcat. I want to model the bird all opened up with wings extended, so I hope to use most of Aires' detail set on this build...

The decals and model itself are still in the mail somewhere, but I received the Aires kit today so I tore into that:

DSC02069.jpg

This is truly a beautiful set, essentially a kit in itself. I got to work cleaning up the resin, and ended up shattering the cockpit seat... Then I spent the rest of the evening trying to put it back together.

DSC02065.jpg

I knew this build would be tough, but I didn't expect to fall on my face with the opening move.... :bandhead2:

Tomorrow, we paint! :touche:

Edited by Team 4R

Well, maybe you just got it out of the way in the very beginning instead of later. That would mean the rest of the build will run smoothly! I hope so, and I also hope your a fast builder if you're to finish that by the end of the GB! That's a ton of resin! Anxious to see what you do with 'er though!

Brian, I appreciate the pleasant thoughts, but I managed to have a gravity-related incident with my airbrush as I went to paint... I spent a week away from all models while I waited on repair parts, but now I'm back to it.

** Please forgive the photo quality as I'm using my phone's camera this evening... My digital camera has gone to Savannah for the weekend.

I have to grudgingly admit that these resin pieces are winning. I've worked with a lot of resin over the years, but this detail set just manages to fracture very easily. I've broken enough of the wheel bay parts to decide I'm going to skip that area. Parts from other sections have broken also but I should be able to salvage them.

I resumed today by throwing a base coat on the cockpit section, but my girlfriend is completely unhappy with the color I selected... Which means I will run to the hobby shop tomorrow, pick up some Euro Dark Green, and repaint.

IMAG0055.jpg

The smaller details on the engine have not yet been installed, though most everything is cleaned up and ready to go. I also began dry-fitting the resin parts to the belly pan and cutting out the cowling. I still need to cut out the gun bay and life raft bay panels.

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

Since my 48th scale planes all end up "in flight" I'm going to finish this model with gear up and props spinning but have the panels open.... Should be interesting. :unsure:

Wow, very ambitious. I tried with the Academy P-47N and the Aires update set, but it humilated me, then laughed out loud at me as I put it away for the summer. That was 2004. I haven't touched it since. You've made better progress than I ever did! Keep the updates coming!

Aaron

Aaron, I entertained the same thoughts with this Aires set... I knew I was in over my head.

Did some work on the cockpit today... Painted the area Euro Green and highlighted some details along with gluing in the seat and support. The further along I go the more I realize how much grinding down is required to the Tamiya kit.... Speaking of the Tamiya kit, it is gorgeous and fits together perfectly. I also cut open the gun bays in the wings, though they will also require sanding/grinding to fit the resin properly.

DSC02140.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

:thumbsup:

Since my 48th scale planes all end up "in flight" I'm going to finish this model with gear up and props spinning but have the panels open.... Should be interesting. :unsure:

That'll be interesting for sure. Can't say I've ever seen that done before.

I like the Euro green for the pit color. Looks alot better. Bummer about that dang gravity huh?BANGHEAD2.jpg

Wow, very ambitious. I tried with the Academy P-47N and the Aires update set, but it humilated me, then laughed out loud at me as I put it away for the summer. That was 2004. I haven't touched it since. You've made better progress than I ever did! Keep the updates coming!

Aaron

And it's probably still laughing at you from the bottom of your stash pile.touche.gif

Looks really nice

are you going to fold the wings??

doh.gifdontknow.gifhmmm.gif

Edited by blunce