A tribute to Liberty Belle.

I've been working on and off on this build for a couple of months, and decided you make a concerted effort over the last week to get it finished.

I've used Revell's latest 1/72nd B-17G, and Kits World decals to finish this model as the recently destroyed 'Liberty Belle' of Don Brook's Liberty Foundation. His B-17 was restored in the colours of his father's aircraft, on which he was a tail gunner based in Framlingham, Suffolk with the 390th Bomb Group.

Here she is in happier times on a visit to Duxford, England, a couple of summers ago:

S1032060-1.jpg

To bring this up to 'warbird' standard I made a few minor modifications to the interior, such as adding a couple extra seats on the flightdeck, and leaving out the top-turret mechanism (I presume on modern warbirds this is an important weight saving.) The interior was also completely painted (as I saw when I went inside her) unlike her WWII vintage counterparts:

S1030148-1.jpg

Revell's kit has the earlier non-staggered waist guns, so I had to move the startboard opening forward, and used a spare waist window from the kit to plug the gap of the original:

S1030200.jpg

Being a late model B-17G, Liberty Belle also has the Cheyenne tail turret which is an option supplied in the kit:

S1030198.jpg

Although I've not seen any photo's of the restored Liberty Belle with the bomb-bay open (in fact during my tour of her there was a wooden floor installed with spares etc in the bay) I decided to open the doors on my version to add a little interest:

S1030201.jpg

Here are some general shots of the finished model. I used a silver/grey automotive paint as the real warbird Liberty Belle was painted in this way (I presume for protection) rather than being in natural metal:

S1030214.jpg

S1030212.jpg

The Kits World decals were excellent and give a good representation of the nose art. I also added the modern aerials applied to the real aircraft, which you can make out behind the chin turret:

S1030196.jpg

Finally - here she is with an older and war-wearly sister ship built last year:

S1030209.jpg

... 1 & 2 fired up and ready to go:

S1030215.jpg

All in all a straight forward build of a super little kit. Here's hoping one day we'll see the real 'Belle' back in the air.