Future and Tamiya Base coat???

Guest PHILL S

Guest PHILL S

hi all i have read lots on future and have decided that i was goin to try it. although i have glossed my plane and placed the decals i think that i cant wait and want to use it as my final coat. i have heard of using tamiya base with it and was wondering if i still use windex to clean my airbrush or do i have to use a combinatioon of acrylic thinners and windex?

any help on this topic would be good cause i keep crazing and lifting my paint work with my final coat of enamil paint and kinda spoils all the hard work and effort and makes it hard to start another kit

thanks for any info at all

Phill

Use Windex as your cleaner and your thinner with acrylics. Do not use it as a thinner when using Tamiya acrylics. All others like Guze-Sangyo and Polly Scale react well with Windex. If you want to use Tamiya flat base with Future mix 30% Tamiya with 70% Future and maintain air pressure around 15 psi. For further reading on Future and it's amy modeling uses visit my web site and read "The Complete Future".

Guest PHILL S

so it is all right to use windex to clean my airbrush when using tamiya acrylics in conjunction with future or will i have to clean using acrylic thinner?

What does windex do when used with tamiya?

Also great site on future im going out to by some future today and will hopefully never look back

Sorry if im repeating stuff that has already been answered im just trying to get my head around it and dont want to stuff my airbrush up as cash flow is a bit of a problem at the moment.

Thanks

The best tip I can offer for using Tamiya flat base & Future is always strain the stuff before you put it in your color cup or jar. There always seems to be some particles that won't mix into the Future and they'll leave small white specks on your model after it dries. I had that happen the first time I used it and it was a real pain in the rear. Haven't had that problem since I started straining it. In fact, I've started straining all my paint and it's made a noticeable difference in the finish.

I've found large paint strainers at Home Depot that fit in a five gallon bucket. They only cost a buck or two and they'll last a very long time.

HTH,

Mike

Although you can mix Tamiya flat base with Future and many people do, I do not. I prefer Polly Scale Clear Flat as my final finish. Nearly all the kits displayed on my site are finished with Polly Scale. A few are done with Testors Dull Coat which is lacquer based and can eat through decals and finish coats of paint not to mention the health concerns. As far as Windex and Tamiya paint goes - it can cause the Tamiya paint to gum up. Should be okay to clean the brush with but to mix with a large quantity of paint would ruin the paint and cause severe clogging in your airbrush.