Hi all! Here's the progress on my latest project. This one will be a '91 Gulf War A-10 with naked lady nose art. The pic shows the Black Box cockpit tub ready for installation. I spent the last 3 weeks rescribing the kit and boy am I glad that chore is finally complete.

Marv Mays

Hey ScaleJetsNet,

looks great. Which nose art will you apply ??? Look at mine pages Desert Storm for the pics.

Regards

Jakub

Jakub,

I've narrowed it down to one of these:

- Desert Belle (need a port-side pic/pilot info)

- New Orleans Lady (need a port-side pic/pilot info)

- Desert Rose (need a port-side pic/pilot info)

- Daring Denise

- Iron Maiden

All these are pretty cool samples of nose art and it's tough to choose...

Marv

Any more updates though?

Yep, I shot this one last night (Mon). Since then, I've attached the wings and tied it all up with rubber bands. Tomorrow night I'll probably shoot more pics.

The wings' fit on this kit is not good at all... Lots of gaps need to be filled where the wings meet the fuselage underside...

Marv Mays

good good....you gonna rescibe that puppy?

Already rescribed the entire jet except for the doors and lines that cross the centerline seam!! It's tough to see in the pics though...

Marv Mays

Nice job on that pig Marv! Just seeing that dark green plastic again give me shivers.

And you're painfully correct about the need for putty.....you tried the engines yet? You'll see.

Hey dude!...coming along, coming along...

Ya know, if you use accelerator, the CA won't fog like that. :stooges:

Habu,

Wow, I'll have to try that. I've never used CA accelerator before... Thanks for the tip!!

Marv Mays

Hi all. I've made more progress on the A-10. THe engine nacells are just about ready to go on as well. I wanted to get all the flying surfaces on "straight" and do some of the basic seam-work before I added them. With out the nacells, the jet is very easy to handle and pretty-much any angle so I thought I'd take advantage of that...

Marv Mays

Marv-

Just out of curiosity, how hard of a time did you have getting the Black Box tub to fit? I had to sand mine translucent, as well as grind down the nose gear well - and it was still WAY tight. Like I said, just curious...... :D

Steve,

I did basically the same thing. I don't see how the tub could fit without thinning the topside of the nosegear well along with the cockpit tub bottom/side... Here's a pic showing how severe the work had to be to make everything fit... Once I did all this the fit was snug but not tight...

Note that you also have to cram some serious weight in there to get the plane to sit on it's gear! My weights are in the lower left corner looking at the pic.

Marv Mays

Steve,

I did basically the same thing. I don't see how the tub could fit without thinning the topside of the nosegear well along with the cockpit tub bottom/side...

Marv-

I honestly think that the master for the tub was designed without having the nose gear well installed into the fuselage first. As you may have also experienced, the tub fits in just fine without the nose gear well installed, but as soon as you add it, the headaches start.

Everything looks great so far, BTW - looking forward to seeing it completed! :D

Steve,

I'll agree. If the pattern-maker had test-fitted the A-10 tub with the gearbay parts in place, he'd surely notice that grinding down the gear well top is absolutely necessary...

A similar problem exisits with the BBX A-7D/E cockpit sets. If you install the set with the provided seat brackets, you CANNOT fit the canopy on the model in the proper closed or raised position. The brackets are WAY too big...

Another mod I did to the A-10 cockpit was to slide a thin sheet plastic strip under both of the lower portions of the side-wall inserts. The tub seems to be just a hair too narrow for the fuselage so this forced the sidewalls a tiny-bit closer together. With the inserts shimmed, the tub connected up to them perfectly... You can see the shims in the pics of the underbelly I posted earlier.

Marv Mays

• 6 months later...

I'm allowing some time for my last few Harrier parts to dry, so I'm focusing on the Monogram A-10 once again. Here is tonight's progress...

I sprayed the majoy seams, scribing and mods I did with FS34102 (since it's the first color of the Euro I scheme) to check for defects. Looks like most of the really hard work is done.