Due to my inexperience with airbrushes and a needle that wasn't properly seated (again, my fault), I laid down way too much paint on the underside of my 1/72nd Lancaster. As soon as I realized my mistake, I compounded the error by trying to sop up the extra paint (MM enamel) with shop towels. Now I have a big mess to clean up before I start over. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here? Here is the photo evidence of my rookie mistakes. :bandhead2:

6812700658_eab38dbc7b_b.jpg

Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner(yellow can), warm water, rubber gloves, and an old tooth brush. I've stripped many a botched paint job with it, and it works like a charm, especially with Testors paints. I usually spray it on, wait 15-20 minutes and then go at it with the old tooth brush and warm water. Just make sure you spray outside, or in a well ventilated area. It looks like you have some masked off areas too. I wouldn't spray right next to those areas, but spray some extra oven cleaner on something else, and then use the toothbrush, or some other old brush to transfer it. I don't know how it would effect the masking tape or anything clear.

-Dave

Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner(yellow can), warm water, rubber gloves, and an old tooth brush. I've stripped many a botched paint job with it, and it works like a charm, especially with Testors paints. I usually spray it on, wait 15-20 minutes and then go at it with the old tooth brush and warm water. Just make sure you spray outside, or in a well ventilated area. It looks like you have some masked off areas too. I wouldn't spray right next to those areas, but spray some extra oven cleaner on something else, and then use the toothbrush, or some other old brush to transfer it. I don't know how it would effect the masking tape or anything clear.

-Dave

Easy Off? Whodathunkit? Thanks for the advice, Dave.

No problem. I would suggest that you be very careful around the masking tape, or test it on something else first though, no telling what it will do to the adhesive.

Thanks. I will probably just do the whole thing with a toothbrush. It's not that big an area.

BD

Easy off will take everything off including the tape, but it is safe on the transparencies.

What Airbrush and type of air source are you using? It's advisable to test shoot a spot on some paper to know your spray pattern before letting loose on your model.

Curt

It's advisable to test shoot a spot on some paper to know your spray pattern before letting loose on your model.

Curt

Yeah, I know...rookie mistake. My first time ever using an airbrush and I really didn't know what to look for.

What I thought was a mini-disaster turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Before I resorted to the Easy-Off treatment, I thought I would try using a 2400 grit sanding pad on the painted areas and re-paint a small area. When I started sanding I immediately liked what I saw.....it gave the flat black a nice weathered look, something I had wondered how I was going to achieve. And, after I re-sprayed one of the wings, I couldn't tell where I had painted before. I am so relieved. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help everyone.

BD

Glad it worked out for you, but if you need to remove paint I still recommend the oven cleaner as opposed to sanding, you can very easily ruin a model by sanding off the paint.

Also Steel Wool is great for knocking down rough paint.

Another handy tool is... a small phone book :} the ones that are left on your doorstep and end up in the trash, Use it as your spray test pallet, many pages to test on should last quite a while, at least till the next years book comes out.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Another handy tool is... a small phone book :} the ones that are left on your doorstep and end up in the trash, Use it as your spray test pallet, many pages to test on should last quite a while, at least till the next years book comes out.

I'm going to have to remember this the next time I start to curse they guy out for leaving these on my porch.

if that happens again you can also use a little bit of thinner on a paint brush. Brush the thinner onto the paint, paper towel off the bulk of the paint off, brush again with thinner and wipe off excess. When I say brush thinner on, I mean alomst dry brushing so the thinner isnt running all over the place. I've done this several times with good results, even around masking tape. I did this to the chevron on the wing, paint ran cause it was too thin and I put it on too heavy. I was able to save it and respray before everything was dry.

P1012840.jpg